Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:21   #226
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Storm Sailing Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
That was my boat in 2008 long before I bought her.

It wasn't quite panic but the novice crew were badly seasick and the skipper was concerned for them. He had earlier deployed a para anchor, but I understand he was not really concerned for the boat's safety, but more for comfort.

He did a writeup for a magazine (seemed like a promotional for Para Anchors to me), but I can no longer find that link.

There are some NZ news links still around ... here's one with video which shows a video of the pickup (by a cruise ship). The seas still look a bit lumpy but not dangerous. Note that there are some inaccuracies in the story.

Sapphire Princess Rushed To The Aid Of Catamaran | Dunedin Television | Online

The Pardeys say that's one reason to put that para-anchor out -- "comfort," which can be a serious issue. "Comfortable" people don't get dehydrated from barfing for two days ... and no one is going to slip on deck stepping in it, either ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25   #227
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
One thing I put a lot of effort into is trying to avoid demoralising living conditions.

One of the main battlefronts in this effort, for me, is a remorseless war on water. Bilge water, specifically.

And at or near the top of the list of useful weapons in this battle is the sort of industrial-grade "self-amalgamating", black rubbery tape used by professional electricians, among others.

(This is NOT the usual PVC insulating tape, although it, too, is a wonder material in other contexts).

It's a wonder material on boats, and the delivery skipper's friend, in particular.

I recall using up an entire roll to improvise a flexible 'gaiter' around the 16mm inner forestay where it disappeared into a 'navel pipe' of a converted maxi-racer, when we were faced with a wet passage from the subantarctic to NZ.

This was a boat which felt it would be undignified to go over waves; it routinely obliterated/atomised the top few metres, and inserted itself through whatever solid water remained.

The crew in the RTW race for which it was built had dubbed it the "Urban Wave Destroyer", and in cruising guise it weighed an extra 15 tonnes, at least, so it would be understating things to say it was not inclined to keep the foredeck particularly dry.

The reason why the inner forestay went below-decks was that it was tensioned by a hydraulic ram (which wouldn't have looked out of place on a Bobcat digger) bolted to the front of the mast step.

The demoralising effect of a mere few hundred residual litres of untrappable bilgewater on the previous leg had been a serious threat to our continued safety, as half those on board (including the owner) were comprehensively disabled by seasickness, and the rest of us had plenty of more productive things to do with our time.

A shallow-bilged racing hull can wet the bedding pretty comprehensively, even though we were not using the lower level bunks (this boat had about 20 bunks in all).

And the demoralising effects of bedding which is continually being moistened by a dilute solution of diesel oil in seawater are appreciable in temperate latitudes: in the deep Southern wastes in nasty weather, it becomes not funny.

In a dry anchorage before we set out, I wrapped a torn strip of towel, (I would have used a crepe bandage if I'd thought of it) around the wire first, just outboard of the turning block cum navel pipe, as an armature for the gaiter made from the black tape.

In this situation, it had to be able to accommodate some movement without tearing or leaking, and this is where the stuff is pure magic. (Also for temporary repair of leaking mast collars, mast wiring connector leaks, anchor chain pipe leaks, cracked ventilator cowls etc etc...)

I couldn't be sure this was the chief remaining source of the bilgewater on the previous leg (I'd fixed the really egregious ones en route, under circumstances which were 'amusing', to say the least), but it must have been, because we still had relatively dry bilges on arrival in NZ.

You have a brand name for this wonder material?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:35   #228
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

I think I could tolerate that... you make a mean Spag Bol... and our taste in Salad's pretty similar...
Jesus , every delivery skipper I meet cooks Spag Bol , did the RYA teach it back sometime. Am I the only one that cooks other stuff !! ( I've eaten so much pasta on some deliveries )

Dave
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51   #229
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
You have a brand name for this wonder material?
Probably Rescue Tape or its equivalent.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01   #230
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

It's been in use in electrical trades for donkeys. Always known as self amalgamating tape in my local electrical wholesalers

Dave
Old 03-05-2013, 06:07   #231
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Storm Sailing Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jesus , every delivery skipper I meet cooks Spag Bol , did the RYA teach it back sometime. Am I the only one that cooks other stuff !! ( I've eaten so much pasta on some deliveries )

Dave
Truth be told.. I detest pasta... trouble is most owners seem to live on the damn stuff.. pasta with pesto, pasta with grated cheese, instant noodles... insipid tasteless crap.. rather go hungry.
Is it any wonder owner assists are low on my list of favourite jobs..
I cook Chauser's, Coc'o'Vin's, Bourginuons, Strogonoffs, Curries not pre-mix... if there's an oven.. Bread, Nan, Roasts...
Occasionally the odd Carbonara is acceptable as a quickie ready in 20 meal.. but very occasionally..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:10   #232
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

Thank you!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12   #233
cruiser

Quote:
Truth be told.. I detest pasta... trouble is most owners seem to live on the damn stuff.. pasta with pesto, pasta with grated cheese, instant noodles... insipid tasteless crap.. rather go hungry.
I cook Chauser's, Coc'o'Vin's, Bourginuons, Strogonoffs, Curries not pre-mix... if there's an oven.. Bread, Nan, Roasts...
Occasionally the odd Carbonara is acceptable as a quickie ready in 20 meal.. but very occasionally..

Oh GREAT -- a picky eater! Just shut up and eat your cardboard! (big grin)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:19   #234
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok everyone compares oranges to apples. pardeys had NO ENGINE so use of their gear was simpler than with an engine.....

we going to redo my galley--dont know what it will look like yet or how it will be set up--but i can cook in this one with weather ---- isnt hard, as my boat was made for seas and trade winds sailing. heavy is good.....
as for going forward in storms--had to do that in florida---boat owner was not deterred by prefrontal winds nor storming activity while under way--is a good thing, as heavy weather experience is difficult to gain sola.
i enjoy prefrontal systems as my boat is heavy and loves wind. the boat i sailed gom is a lighter boat that didnt like storms or winds..lol..

..helps to have a boat made for the situation faced.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:25   #235

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Same here. I'm on a diet currently, which consists mostly of dropping bread, pasta and flour-based foods, although I'm not strict. It's working pretty well and I can't say I miss the pasta. If I had a seafood pasta in the past, now I have a seafood stir-fry or a chowder. I am fine pouring a little herbed tomato sauce over some grilled sausages and a mixed salad, which is functionally identical to what I would eat as "sausage pasta", only without the pasta.

I'm down 13 kilos since January. I haven't gone religious: I still drink red wine with dinner!

For storm food, however, I might make an exception, but only small portions. Too many carbs make you sleepy, and a half-filled stomach and "nibbling" instead of full meals can be done for days without harm. If we were hove-to but still on outside watch, I would eat for heat, not for muscles, if you follow.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:25   #236
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Storm Sailing Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Oh GREAT -- a picky eater! Just shut up and eat your cardboard! (big grin)
An important part of Storm Sailing Strategy... cut the Carb's...
stay slim, trim and fit... or.. a lean, mean sailing machine...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42   #237
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
An important part of Storm Sailing Strategy... cut the Carb's...
stay slim, trim and fit... or.. a lean, mean sailing machine...
Jean Claud van damm, Stephen Segal and Michel Roux rolled into one man!!!!

dave
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45   #238

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:

Dave
I hope the RYA taught how to make spag bol better than they now teach how to determine CTS .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46   #239
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I hope the RYA taught how to make spag bol better than they now teach how to determine CTS .
The war is over SL, the UN moved in , combatants now live peacefully side by side. ( eating spag Bol and searching for PB it seems)

dave
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50   #240

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
The war is over SL, the UN moved in , combatants now live peacefully side by side. ( eating spag Bol and searching for PB it seems)

dave
That's what they said about North Korea .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing