Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 10:24   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: St Martin pictures after Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Can someone please refer me to the go fund me request from Sailing Mischief? I sure don't see it on their videos.
it is in the comments section of the first update video

https://www.gofundme.com/salvaging-sailing-mischief

Old 09-09-2017, 10:29   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Actually it is "Coast Life" that is "Sailing for Irma". Raising funds for the relief effort. My mistake on that.

DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 19:22   #18

You can bet your bottom dollar that insurance rates are going to go through the roof for any boat above the 12 ° north latitude during hurricane season from now on ! Amature sailors that don't respect the sea cost everyone in the long run ! Tears are for lost souls not lost possessions ! God help us .
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 21:39   #19

Quote:
I can't believe the comments on their YouTube page. Such gross people commenting there. Very ugly.

That's all the internet is nowadays. People love to be cucks to everyone.
surb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 15:28   #20

Quote:
The go fund me was to help the people of the island.
Actually... no... IT WAS to help them get a new boat.... this is from google's cache:

Quote:
SailingMischief took refuge in Simpson's Bay, St. Maarten during Hurricane Irma. Everything possible was done to secure her for the storm. While SailingMischief was able to survive 185mph winds as the eye of Irma passed over St. Maarten, when the storm resumed a 31' open console slammed into her and sank her. We are determined to continue our journey but we need help to raise and refit SailingMischief. Christian, Tyler and I are stranded on St. Maarten any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Please enjoy our prior adventures and please help us to continue to document our cruising life adventures!

but after the first comments they changed to 'help the cruising community' Also note that they could not change the tile of the go fund me, and URL stayed the same: "SALVAGING SAILING MISCHIEF".

from LINK: www.gofundme.com/salvaging-sailing-mischief

Quote:
SailingMischief took refuge in Simpson's Bay, St. Maarten during Hurricane Irma. Everything possible was done to secure her for the storm. While SailingMischief was able to survive 185mph winds as the eye of Irma passed over St. Maarten, when the storm resumed a 31' open console slammed into her and sank her. The devestation on St. Maarten is incredible. While we are determined to continue our journey, we have seen the incredible needs of the other cruisers here who have also lost their boats and all their possessions. We willl use these funds to help as best we can our cruising community.
ALSO... they were well aware of the hurricane, and made a big deal of the ability to 'vlog' it... and had their friend come down to visit with them.

It is said, that youth is wasted on the young, and experience is only given to the aged....

Sad.

I believe they are great marketers... but the chap is claiming to have a Captains License 100 ton (from 2013)

and one would think that heading into a known hurricane is an idea that would be obviously not a primary solution for anyone with actual (or taught) experience...

I do not like their -d-i-s-h-o-n-e-s-t-y- marketing...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 18:49   #21

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
ALSO... they were well aware of the hurricane, and made a big deal of the ability to 'vlog' it... and had their friend come down to visit with them.

and one would think that heading into a known hurricane is an idea that would be obviously not a primary solution for anyone with actual (or taught) experience...

I do not like their -d-i-s-h-o-n-e-s-t-y- marketing...
Where does everybody get this information that they knowingly sailed to a hurricane? ... I was following their channel and never got that information. Also, they were laggin like 4 months and became "live" when the hurricane prep took place. Im confused.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:46   #22

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
Where does everybody get this information that they knowingly sailed to a hurricane? ... I was following their channel and never got that information. Also, they were laggin like 4 months and became "live" when the hurricane prep took place. Im confused.

Same here
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:20   #23

Boat: 26ft Aquasport Explorer

I agree there are questions about their motives and ethics in this situations...... After reading the comments on their GoFundMe i feel like I was to close to a pig slaughtering... man those folks are angry.... I just channel my feelings a different way. Pick a cause you feel good about donating to. I gave to friends and coworkers hit by Harvey and then donated to The American Radio Relay League, Inc. (ARRL) since I know the work they do and want to support it....... Just my 2 cents
Reel Tachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 18:39   #24

Boat: Tanzer 22

Looks like they made it out safe. Definitely feel bad they lost their boat. I would never donated money to them, but I wouldn't be mad at someone who did. This is heart breaking stuff. https://youtu.be/VBpakxgdKS4
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:09   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Looks like they made it out safe. Definitely feel bad they lost their boat. I would never donate money to them, but I wouldn't be mad at someone who did.
I think the whole thing was only spectacular as more and more inconsistencies came to light. If you had seen their boat, you might not feel sorry for losing it. The boat was so poor that it was hard to feel comfortable on it. If there are actually people who seem to have too much money, then they should donate, I see in it only a widespread form of pure stupidity. Those liars can't get a dime from me!
Arsinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:20   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsinoe View Post
I think the whole thing was only spectacular as more and more inconsistencies came to light. If you had seen their boat, you might not feel sorry for losing it. The boat was so poor that it was hard to feel comfortable on it. If there are actually people who seem to have too much money, then they should donate, I see in it only a widespread form of pure stupidity. Those liars can't get a dime from me!
I think you should read CF rules.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 04:06   #27

Quote:
I think you should read CF rules.
And I think you should switch on your brain before you answer! Idiots who deliberately put themselves in danger and then even demonstrative into the victim's role do not deserve solidarity.

Arsinoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Martin