Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2016, 10:59   #1

Boat: Scout 30
SOS Distress Light Deal

No affiliation other than I'm a cruiser. If you're not signed up with Active Captain you should be. Not only is Active Captain great to have, they also send out a newsletter every week that includes a deal on boat stuff done in concert with Defender. Last week it was Rocna anchors & today it the Weem & Plath Distress light. I am sick of buying flares!

ActiveCaptain Product of the Week
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 13:06   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Re: SOS Distress Light Deal

Great price. Damn, I was out of town and missed that rocna deal.
Old 20-11-2016, 13:22   #3

The light was a great deal. Just hope I never need it.
Old 20-11-2016, 13:28   #4

Boat: islandpacket

Yeah, a dock mate just got one, he accidently left it on and it blinked for 3 nights. Pretty bright till batteries wore out.
Old 20-11-2016, 13:53   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I still think they're a bad idea. When sailing, a flare will get your attention and you know what it's trying to say.... a blinking led does not have the same importance.

Matt
Old 20-11-2016, 14:34   #6

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Have been intending to buy a distress flag and light.

Currently have a dozen flares, all out of date so need to re-up. A light would cover my arse if checked by the coasties right now.

If in distress I would use the light and flares. Probably fire off one followed a moment later by another. The first may be caught by eye only briefly or at a peripheral direction. Then the second may be seen while a potential rescuer was more focused in my general direction.

The SOS led would provide a signal with endurance not available from flares. Competent mariners would know what it means. And many landlubers also know ...---...---...---...--- equals distress, even of only from watching movies.
Old 20-11-2016, 14:38   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

I bought this light when it first came out at $99.99. I like it. It comes with a mirror and flag for daytime use. It's about the same price as three sets of flares and in use it won't burn your hands or boat. And there's no need to worry about how to dispose of outdated flares.
Old 20-11-2016, 19:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Have been intending to buy a distress flag and light.

Currently have a dozen flares, all out of date so need to re-up. A light would cover my arse if checked by the coasties right now.

If in distress I would use the light and flares. Probably fire off one followed a moment later by another. The first may be caught by eye only briefly or at a peripheral direction. Then the second may be seen while a potential rescuer was more focused in my general direction.

The SOS led would provide a signal with endurance not available from flares. Competent mariners would know what it means. And many landlubers also know ...---...---...---...--- equals distress, even of only from watching movies.
That was my thinking too. I've amassed a big assortment of flares over the years & using both flares to get attention & the light to zero in on seems like a good idea.
Old 20-11-2016, 20:07   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I still think they're a bad idea. When sailing, a flare will get your attention and you know what it's trying to say.... a blinking led does not have the same importance.

Matt
Same opinion here. OK it'll meet the CG regs, but that shouldn't be the only reason to carry distress signals. Another blinking light will not be noticed, IMHO. Also, IMHO those "toy" coastal flares don't do the job either -- you need SOLAS grade parachute flairs at night and orange smoke in the day.

Also, if you can use electronic signals , for near-coastal you really should think about an AIS SART.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 20:32   #10

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Well, I would be disappointed if there were no differing opinions here. It's a mainstay of the forum.

But to be fair to blinking toy lights.... it's a ten mile range WHITE light rapidly signaling SOS. Not something one sees everyday and something I've personally never seen.

Could be wrong, but think if I ever saw this it would stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.
Old 20-11-2016, 22:33   #11

Boat: Kaufman 47

I think the problem is that their marketing team is competing with the wrong product. This should be a replacement for a rocket/parachute flare like the picture depicts. That I don't agree with, unless this light shoots up a LED bulb in the sky, which it doesn't. Now, it does make a great replacement for a handheld flare. We'll still carry rocket flares but I can see the merits of this at deck/raft level.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress