Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-10-2011, 10:15   #61
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Sailing in HEAVY Wind and Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I recommend one of these:

I put it on and then sit in the pilot house and use my radar and chart plotter to see where I am and where I'm going, while adjusting course by barely touching the joystick on autopilot remote

ciao!
Nick.
if you get one in black you won't need the radar or chart plotter

Old 23-10-2011, 10:20   #62
Armchair Bucketeer

In regard to OP's query..........

.......depends on where am sailing, and the likelihood of hitting someone / something.....low probability is mostly huddled under Sprayhood / Dodger, with the occassional peer out from the more sheltered side.

Inshore then I have those cheap swim goggles - keep meaning to get a neoprene "ski" mask (as used by RIB owners ).

Old 23-10-2011, 13:22   #63
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo
12.6 knots on just the main! Were you on a Cat?
Beneteau 47.7.
Old 23-10-2011, 13:49   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Just in the last two months, I had occasion to sail in two storms of 40+ knot winds (maybe even 60 + knot winds), and massive driving rain that was like a fire hose. (...)
I used wrap-around clear shades - and wiped them as often as I could. Another issue was that bundled in my parka / hood the shades steamed too much. Not sure how to solve this, perhaps clear motor goggles are better then.

My admiral converted from optical lenses to contact lenses whenever in heavy rain - she says using regular lenses is completely out of question in heavy rain.

b.
Old 23-10-2011, 14:00   #65
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i wear a visor even in rain--helps keep wet out of eyes a lil bit....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 14:00   #66

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

While in the tropics I always carried a ziploc bag with me to put my hearing aids in when it rained or I took spray in the cockpit or dinghy.
Old 24-10-2011, 09:44   #67

If we're under full sail(s) on our ketch and feel the drop in temp due to squall activity, we drop the main first and wait for the shift in wind direction/speed and adjust out jib accordingly. This method allows for easy (single handed), quick sail adjustments. If it's storm (gale) weather we normally drop the mizzen, reef the main and furl the jib based on wind speed, wave direction, reports...etc. If it looks real bad I set the storm sail in it's main track in case we have to furl genoa; but this has never happened.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 20:58   #68

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I'd really suggest not sailing any boat into a heavy squall with just the jib up. The center of effort is to far forward and the boat is extremly out of balance. If you're layed-over to the spreaders it's going to be very difficult for your boat to regain its footing with just the jib.

But then I would not like to be in a 40 knot squall with microburst, in a Hunter 25.
The difference is that I've sailed a Hunter 25 in those conditions and I know what I'm talking about.

Fabbian
Old 24-10-2011, 22:30   #69

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
The difference is that I've sailed a Hunter 25 in those conditions and I know what I'm talking about.

Fabbian
Personnel choice.

I almost lost my boat and my life in heavy weather and choose to be a little more prudent, and I gave my opinion.

I didn't suggest that you didn't have any experience.

It is also quite possible to jaywalk across a freeway during commute hours.
regards
John
Old 11-11-2011, 19:55   #70

Boat: Jeanneua 36

if you thingk about reefing REEF.NOT beeing a smarty,I run a charter yacht down here in the sounds(N Z)and on the average we are sailing in 30to40kts once in a week or so,reefed right down it is quiet comfortable(NO COMPLAINTS FROM THE PUNTERS)the seas arnt great though,1mt.So a well found yacht and a good feefing system,if one has to sail in those conditions it can be quiet a buzz in short bursts,a good dodger is worth its wieght in gold.
Old 11-11-2011, 20:35   #71
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
If we're under full sail(s) on our ketch and feel the drop in temp due to squall activity, we drop the main first and wait for the shift in wind direction/speed and adjust out jib accordingly. This method allows for easy (single handed), quick sail adjustments. If it's storm (gale) weather we normally drop the mizzen, reef the main and furl the jib based on wind speed, wave direction, reports...etc. If it looks real bad I set the storm sail in it's main track in case we have to furl genoa; but this has never happened.

See, it all depends. My Hunter 31' goes like snot with just the headsail out. It's hood 810 and cannot be reliably partially furled in spite of having a foam-reinforced luff. I would not choose to sail that boat in a gale with "just" the headsail out.

But then I don't have the many years of experience that many here do. I have a new, reliable engine. I would pull in the headsail, pull down the mainsail and turn the engine on. If it was really bad I might put an anchor out and give the storm a chance to pass over me because of the high freeboard. In strong wind, the boat itself becomes a sail.

You have to make these decisions balancing not only the boat, but the situation with your experience (or lack of same).

Do I think I'll get caught in a storm one day? You bet. I expect to survive it, and I expect Mother Nature to teach me a lot. I just hope the tuition bill isn't four digits like the last one was!
Old 15-11-2011, 07:12   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Don't count on your instuments when there is lightning close by. A strike nearby will cause them all to shut down, reboot or simply kak.

Dave
Speaking of lightning, coming into a harbor at night under storm conditions where I had to maintain some speed to compensate for the wind gusts which would force me out of the channel, I actually wanted to see those lightning strikes. It allowed me to see where the boats were located in the mooring field. I had the bimini up which helped somewhat with the driving rain. Also I was able to see the compass and steered by that when my vision was limited.
Old 15-11-2011, 08:41   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I use my diving mask WITH snorkel IF it's hard to breathe as well as see...Get cold, don my wetsuit...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 08:58   #74

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I put on my drysuit, strap on my Kirby, turn up the music and breath oxgen and get high!
Sometimes I climb the mast and play Lt. Dan.
Old 15-11-2011, 18:53   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
If you sail in SEA you will sail in thunderstorms. Every boat will have differences when reefing. You need to learn the reefing plan for your particular boat. A good reefing plan will allow the boat to be balanced and stay on its feet for the expected wind. A building sustained wind is different than squalls and thunderstorms.

We have a 150 genny and a rather small main. At >20knots we will furl the genny to 100%. At plus 25 we will get the first reef in the main. For thunderstorms and squalls we are usually 1 reef in the main and the genny at 80% or less. We have penetrated thunderstorms with 40kts sustained gusting to 45 or so. Have only put the second main reef in once. With 1 reef and 80% we will get a bit too much heel at times and we will manage the gusts with main sheet and heading up.

It is also important as has been said to take a compass heading before visibility drops, especially when near shore or in restricted water. Know where you want to go and know where safe water is so you can bail out if required.

The other aspect of visibility is knowing how to make the boat go slow. No point in slogging along at 6 knots if you have no clue where you are.

The key is reading what kind of weather is coming and preparing early.

PS - it is also imlortant to keep the crew smiling and not let them know how terrified you are or how much trouble you are in - LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-144595726.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	33729   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-412698359.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	33730  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags