Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 CC Ketch MKIII
Port Everglades to West End Weather in April

Hello everyone,

I am planning to do my first gulf stream crossing in early April of this year. I've been watching the cold front patterns cross the stream recently that create settled sea states when the wind clocks to the South. Does this pattern continue in early April? What do you guys look for in the spring when doing a gulf stream crossing?

Like I said, this will be my first gulf stream crossing and I'd prefer to have as calm of seas and light winds (maybe just enough to motor sail) as possible. I don't mind waiting as long as need be for the right weather window... just wanted to know what you guys think.

Thanks for your help!

Dan
Follow the Horizon - Follow your Dreams.
Old 04-03-2015, 17:20   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Port Everglades to West End Weather in April

I'd give it a day to lay down after a spell of north winds. We look at several sources, and when they all agree, we go with 10-15 and 2-3' seas. Nothing wrong with 5-10 and 1-2', if you can get it, and don't mind motoring. Anything SE to SW will get you there without much drama. Good luck, and enjoy the Bahamas.

We use the NWS, Windfinder, and Passage Weather for forecast sources. If they are all different, expect the worst one to be right (to be safe).

Just a note - if the winds are really light, expect it to be a washing machine out there. Nothing bad, just a bit uncomfortable if the sails can't be used effectively to stabilize the boat. We've crossed the stream four times. All were different with basically the same forecast.

Nice blog so far, and a good looking family. You guys stay safe.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 17:46   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Winds tend to lie down a bit more starting in April and don’t clock as much. Tends to be fewer northerlies. There likely will be boats at the Las Olas anchorage waiting to cross. We usually find a buddy boat, agree on a weather window and leave together.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I'd give it a day to lay down after a spell of north winds. We look at several sources, and when they all agree, we go with 10-15 and 2-3' seas. Nothing wrong with 5-10 and 1-2', if you can get it, and don't mind motoring. Anything SE to SW will get you there without much drama. Good luck, and enjoy the Bahamas.

We use the NWS, Windfinder, and Passage Weather for forecast sources. If they are all different, expect the worst one to be right (to be safe).

Just a note - if the winds are really light, expect it to be a washing machine out there. Nothing bad, just a bit uncomfortable if the sails can't be used effectively to stabilize the boat. We've crossed the stream four times. All were different with basically the same forecast.

Nice blog so far, and a good looking family. You guys stay safe.

Ralph
This is good advice, thanks Ralph. I like the idea of following the worst forecast out of all of the weather services.

Dan
Old 05-03-2015, 05:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
Winds tend to lie down a bit more starting in April and don’t clock as much. Tends to be fewer northerlies. There likely will be boats at the Las Olas anchorage waiting to cross. We usually find a buddy boat, agree on a weather window and leave together.
I haven't checked the Las Olas anchorage yet... will have to run over there. We are currently hanging out in North Lake in Hollywood. I have some power boat friends who are leaving tonight for Marsh Harbour... talk about me being jealous! I have to wait until April, unfortunately.

Dan

Tags
weather