Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 14:51   #31

Re: ON SITE REPORT FROM ST MAARTEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rourkeh welcome to the land of cat 7 cane survival. our blessing was that our patricia was not as large as irma or maria.
folks are asking what could they bring to help in the recovery ...
if you can provide a listing of that which private cruisers can manage to bring, please post.
thankyou fro the update.
There is no such thing as a Cat 7 hurricane... There’s no such thing as a Cat 6 hurricane.

Irma and Maria was very bad and negatively affected many people, including only slightly affecting us compared to many, many others. But that doesn’t make overinflating definitions helpful to anyone.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 16:46   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
There is no such thing as a Cat 7 hurricane... There’s no such thing as a Cat 6 hurricane.

Irma and Maria was very bad and negatively affected many people, including only slightly affecting us compared to many, many others. But that doesn’t make overinflating definitions helpful to anyone.
you have obviously never lived err siurvived a seriuous disaster. if you had, you would be in possession of a much better sense of humor a swell as a serious grip on the intensity of the hurricanes exprienced by those survivors of irma and maria.
\cat 7 may not be a reality in mets speak, but it is in experience speak. you survive a strongest cane in your basin,. you have experienced a cat 7 cane EXCEPT atlantic basin, where storms are not as strong, merely huge. so it was only a cat 4 on landfall, occasionally reaching cat 5, but not maintaining that status, it did much damage to the islands we KNEW would disappear, which were those in its path.
we can sit here allll day and argue about the intensity of canes but reality speaking., irma only got to 908, and maria only to 985. really strong. the wicked ones are 872, patricia, mine... and winston at 882.
top those and you have cat 7.
sorry i burst your little knowledge bubble. stay on a boat in a cat 4 and tell me it is not a cat 7.
hahahahahahaha
is all relative.
the folks in pr and in st martin all experienced more sensation than any cat 5 you conjure up. to them it was a cat 7.
ask em and see.
as a survivor of patricia i can say this .
you cannot.
you have not been there., nor can you diss my calling irma a cat 7 to those who survived her she was.

but you were not there.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 17:25   #33

Unfortunately, something must be lost in your English translation and I don’t understand your response. You have no idea what hurricanes I’ve been through or other natural disasters such as tornados or wildfires. I don’t see any humor in Irma, Maria or any natural disaster.
Old 09-10-2017, 17:36   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post

definitions aside karen AKA "zeehag"last year had the eye of a hurricane pass directly over her and her yacht in mexico ,so personally i think she is entitled to call it what the F she likes
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 18:19   #35

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
definitions aside karen AKA "zeehag"last year had the eye of a hurricane pass directly over her and her yacht in mexico ,so personally i think she is entitled to call it what the F she likes
If we're making stuff up, why bother using words to make coherent sentences...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 18:33   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Pretty much exactly what I was going to respond.
Old 09-10-2017, 18:34   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
i watched the track of patricia pass directly over her location as noaa made the satelite images available,as i did when irma passed over st martin,in both cases i was in contact with her in mexico and friends in st martin in real time untill their communications were literally blown away .

i'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 19:57   #38

Quote:
she is entitled to call it what the F she likes
Indeed. I know exactly what I called Irma overhead aboard my boat 22 miles into the dirty side of the track.

The legacy hurricane scale is pretty simple and jumps in loosely 20 MPH increasing log. increments with Cat 5 historically being 157 MPH and above.

Saffir-Simpson might be someone's musty yet treasured relic and all but it doesn't work any more. The numbers are used to communicate with mass numbers of people making evac decisions. We need an expanded, descriptive scale "Saffir 2".

TODAY

Category Wind speeds
Five ≥157 mph
Four 130–156 mph
Three 111–129 mph
Two 96–110 mph
One 74–95 mph

Rourkeh and Zeehag are reporting "speeds WAY OVER the 157 mph line" and so if that is confirmed then no cat 5 doesn't describe it well.

You don't want to try to describe a 250 mph storm with a 150 mph measure. We obviously need a proper way to measure with a scale that includes what is going on.

PROPOSED

Category. Wind speeds
Five 157-190 mph
Six 191-224 mph
Seven 225-264 mph
Eight ≥265 mph
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 21:02   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
With all respect for her experience, I do not recall anyone accusing Zee of making coherent sentences!

But really, if we rule out hyperbole, much of the content of CF will disappear.

Jim
Old 10-10-2017, 05:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But really, if we rule out hyperbole, much of the content of CF will disappear.
ROFLOL!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:17   #41

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
i watched the track of patricia pass directly over her location as noaa made the satelite images available,as i did when irma passed over st martin,in both cases i was in contact with her in mexico and friends in st martin in real time untill their communications were literally blown away .

i'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
Only that I find it ironic when someone uses jibberish to invent a nonexistent term.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 13:13   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Only that I find it ironic when someone uses jibberish to invent a nonexistent term.
Hmmm... kinda a waste of time to "invent" a term that already exists...

Jim
Old 10-10-2017, 13:41   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
perhaps you should have studied proper english instead of ocd-ish. most folks understand what i write, except you, delusion, and some few others who donot understand english usage, or cannot read without injecting their own attitude into my words.
btw , what nonexistent thing did i invent. i want credit, dammit.
unfortunately most folks donot know how to read. they lose out on a lot. humor, content, inventions and much much more. like, life..hahahahahah
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 14:07   #44

I was thinking as a survivor of a direct tornado impact & just quite lucky to be able to tell the tale, you will have the hurricane & at the same time you will get tornadoes that spawn & die as the storm passes..so there will be high wind numbers in certain areas sometimes where the tornadoes form.. so in all honesty I can see both points,no cat 6,maybe a 5 that spun up some tornadoes. ...when you look at a tornado sometimes you can see several smaller ones circle the big guy,I wonder if hurricanes do the same thing on a much bigger scale? Can you imagine a cat 5 hurricane with hundreds of tornadoes circling it! It is possible? Scary thought, but is it possible that's what happened? Substainable wind numbers should give the answers.....
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 19:24   #45

Mike H, don't believe everything the authorities tell you.Take note of those who were there and generally are unbiased.In 2004 I was on Grand Cayman when Hurricane Ivan came along and stopped alongside the Island for 36 hours as detailed in books and DVD videos. The wind speed reached 250 MPH before the official weather ministry building annenometer blew away. Originally quoted as cat 5 by the ministry, it was downgraded to cat 4 shortly after and less than 200 mph highly convenient for the Insurance Companies who otherwise might have gone bust. Not heard of Ivan, I am not surprised as the airport was closed due to 3 feet of water on the runway and the Govt stopped all entry visas to suppress the true extent of the damage as they were worried it would kill the tourist trade!! hardly likely as there were simply no hotels capable of taking guests due to lack of electricity and water. When you have to stand outside the only grocery store on the whole island of 37,000 inhabitants for several hours each day under the gaze of armed soldiers, in order to get some water and 12 items of food then there is little chance of misquoting the facts and bragging rights have little or no value.13 years later and I can remember it as if it was yesterday. Recovery is the hard part. Replacing downed utility poles is easy, but is the simple part of the return to normality.To get the electricity flowing again every house must be checked to ensure there are no short circuits,cables cut away from those destroyed. It all takes time,in our case measured in months not days!!
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote