Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 01:31   #31
Registered User
 
vtomanov's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK , London
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Posts: 197
Re: Offshore weather

try : http://www.weather-navigator.com/ doesn't need internet or connection - just look at the sky..
__________________

__________________
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 02:09   #32
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,947
Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Chile, very good
South Pacific - decent from Hawaii and NZ. The NZ charts are excellent.

Slight hole between the western limit of Chilean coverage and NZ coverage both in terms of the map and reception.
.....
Australia puts out both Sopac http://www.bom.gov.au/difacs/IDX0032.pdf and Indian Ocean fax.

Check their schedule for times and freqs.

( I don't think I would want to be in the central south South Pacific just now)

There is also a Japanese station that you can pick up all over the pacific on 13986.6 designed for their fishing fleets.
Transmits an interesting assortment of stuff.
__________________

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 02:42   #33
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,947
Re: Offshore weather

I just sucked this one down from Charleville,Q a few minutes ago....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sopac.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	123457  
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 04:29   #34
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I just sucked this one down from Charleville,Q a few minutes ago....
Thats pretty impressive range ping, aren't you in chile? What sort of freq and antenna are you using?
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 04:38   #35
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
a ssb receiver and a a tablet computer with some flavor of weather fax software are the cheapest method when out of cell range of land.
+2. Even if you use some other method, you ought to listen to Chris Parker's morning forecast. Better yet, also subscribe to his service. I have paid him piecemeal for forecasts, but it would have been more cost effective if I had just subscribed.
__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 04:42   #36
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,947
Re: Offshore weather

Gday Ben,
Currently at Campo Pinguino, NE Vic ... back in Chile next week.
5 megs, long wire.
That said I worked NZ and Oz ( Tony's Maritime net but a different time to suit propagation .. about 0700Z by memory) from central sopac all the way to Canal Chacao earlier this year on 14315. Prior to that at the standard time (2100Z) with no probs in the eastern sopac. That was a 706Mk2G on a (Tasmanian) moonraker whip. Have also received RNZI and even Macca on the ABC in the channels. Some of my chums here in SE OZ have worked VP8 land so everything is possible.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 04:56   #37
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Offshore weather

Or... you could just be Traditional about it.. learn to read the sea and sky and map your courses accordingly.. as some folk have found.. paying a desk bound weather forecaster is no guarantee of a trouble free crossing.
I sail on a good 2 day window then play it by ear.. works for me.. this is Transatlantic or just across the Biscay.. building swell and direction along with cloud formations can give you more info on the spot than someone 5000 miles away.. once clear of the land masses the weather acts on a whim.. mini highs and lows forming at random.
Your best bet is for you and your boat to be prepared to the best of your abilities for a crossing and not put to much faith in being guided through the maze by a remote entity with no stake in the outcome.. a bit like a god.
You can't exactly sue them if you end up in the perfect storm..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 06:50   #38
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Or... you could just be Traditional about it.. learn to read the sea and sky and map your courses accordingly.. as some folk have found.. paying a desk bound weather forecaster is no guarantee of a trouble free crossing.
I sail on a good 2 day window then play it by ear.. works for me.. this is Transatlantic or just across the Biscay.. building swell and direction along with cloud formations can give you more info on the spot than someone 5000 miles away.. once clear of the land masses the weather acts on a whim.. mini highs and lows forming at random.
Your best bet is for you and your boat to be prepared to the best of your abilities for a crossing and not put to much faith in being guided through the maze by a remote entity with no stake in the outcome.. a bit like a god.
You can't exactly sue them if you end up in the perfect storm..

Care to do some paid online video lessons for us simpletons?
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 08:45   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Offshore weather

I am not in one camp with 'inexpensive' when it comes to ssb and radiofax. A cheap (???) nasa receiver is EUR300 and a small laptop is another EUR100.

EUR400

Look at two way comms with trackers - relaible, power independent, sat based, global and no hands operated.

I can see DeLorme inReach at EUR332 at Amazon.

Match your tools with your use and do not think that older technology is less expensive just because it is older. It is not always the case.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 09:44   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,537
Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am not in one camp with 'inexpensive' when it comes to ssb and radiofax. A cheap (???) nasa receiver is EUR300 and a small laptop is another EUR100.

EUR400
Or a degen 1103 for 70/80 euros. Streets ahead of the expensive nasa in so many ways. And it's extremely unlikely a boat interested in sailing where you would want to recieve wfax wouldn't have a tablet or laptop (or several smart phones) already.

No brainer regardless of what main offshore comms you go for, imho.



Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
__________________
conachair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:06   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Or a degen 1103 for 70/80 euros. Streets ahead of the expensive nasa in so many ways. And it's extremely unlikely a boat interested in sailing where you would want to recieve wfax wouldn't have a tablet or laptop (or several smart phones) already.

No brainer regardless of what main offshore comms you go for, imho.



Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
How about Degen's reception, signal strength, noise/signal, etc?

Moneywise, I would assume nothing. You want ssb based radiofax you need the ssb receiver AND the computer. You want sat two way com you want a DeLorme (now Garmin) or a Yellowbrick.

To be 100% in line with how valuation is done, we should chuck in the data required package along with a sat comm device (I believe 15 USD and upwards, when sailing). Also there may be a one time activation fee.

Good point about smartphones. I must say I dislike their small screens for anything graphic, then again I cannot afford things like iPhones or the big screen Samsungs. I know they are nice but they are beyond my financial reach and beyond my actual need. A EUR10 plain mobile phone does everything I need to do on the phone.

If we were to follow this path though, if one can afford an iPhone or a similar high quality big screen smartphone, then why not sell this one and buy an inmarsat iSatPhone?

Clearly, my understanding of economy is biased by my limited budget.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:08   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 33
Re: Offshore weather

which fax software? i have an 801E ICOM SSB
__________________
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:19   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,537
Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
How about Degen's reception, signal strength, noise/signal, etc?

Moneywise, I would assume nothing. You want ssb based radiofax you need the ssb receiver AND the computer. You want sat two way com you want a DeLorme (now Garmin) or a Yellowbrick.

To be 100% in line with how valuation is done, we should chuck in the data required package along with a sat comm device (I believe 15 USD and upwards, when sailing). Also there may be a one time activation fee.

Good point about smartphones. I must say I dislike their small screens for anything graphic, then again I cannot afford things like iPhones or the big screen Samsungs. I know they are nice but they are beyond my financial reach and beyond my actual need. A EUR10 plain mobile phone does everything I need to do on the phone.

If we were to follow this path though, if one can afford an iPhone or a similar high quality big screen smartphone, then why not sell this one and buy an inmarsat iSatPhone?

Clearly, my understanding of economy is biased by my limited budget.

b.
The degen has a slightly tinny speaker and the operating system is a bit quirky but the sensitivity, s/n etc are a very good.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4288

My opinion is that it will be a rare boat go way offshore without 2 way comms these days and one without a laptop onboard must be a rare beast indeed, adding a cheap ssb reciever is fairly insignificant in the bigger picture, why would anyone not have one as a must have?
IMHO of course

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
__________________
conachair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:48   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Offshore weather

I would buy an ssb receiver (or even the newish ICOM 7300 transceiver) even if I started with a sat phone solution. I just like to listen to our ssb spitting out muslim chants and pieces of cruisers nets. I also like dials and switches and such likes. feels like grandpa's automobile.

When our nasa box dies I may get something like the Dagen. Nasa has no memories, no backlight, no audio out, etc. It is OK buy sorta behind times.

Cheers,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:56   #45
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Offshore weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Care to do some paid online video lessons for us simpletons?
After the comments on my Cooking video and my Speedo's in the Beach video..??
YOU MUST BE JOKING..




__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
offshore, weather

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Far Offshore is Offshore? Jay Jennings General Sailing Forum 57 30-03-2017 15:16
How OffShore to be an 'Offshore" passage? twistedtree Seamanship & Boat Handling 68 03-02-2013 15:39
For Sale: Gill Southern Cross Offshore Foul Weather Jacket thesparrow Classifieds Archive 0 09-03-2012 15:29
For Sale: Offshore Foul Weather Gear mindsofman Classifieds Archive 2 01-05-2011 20:41
Satellite Weather Offshore? thoamii Marine Electronics 1 30-08-2009 03:12



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.