Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 07:01   #1

Need weather guru adviser during passage

Hello all,

My brother and I are intending our first open ocean passage to HI this March.

We do have PredictWind and a GO unit. I would like to back that up with assistance of a shore based advisor. I have an InReach satellite messenger which will allow direct messaging by 160 character text message.

I'm hoping to find an advisor with just the right set of qualifications. It needs to be someone who has been across oceans (perferrable to HI) many times. It needs to a guy or gal that really digs sailing weather and who already has all the right computer tools at his disposal.

The idea is that our advisor will monitor our position on a daily basis. He will examine the weather forecast over several days forward, then send me a daily message with a suggested compass heading and any pertinent admonishments that can be fitted into the 160 character limit. The goal, of course, would be to try to keep us in good sailing weather and out of the way of any nastiness.

This isn't a paid position. It needs to be someone who would enjoy assisting some fellow sailors in this way. We'll be based in HI for a bit then on to who knows where. If this sounds like it could be you, please send me a PM. Thank you much.
stevekoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 07:27   #2

Re: Need weather guru adviser during passage

Your looking for weather routing services for free basically. Why not have a good friend look after it for you? It's unlikely you'll find a professional who wants to give his services away and a good friend may provide a service every bit equal to a non professional. You can get weather routing services on predict wind that your friend could send you in a short recap.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 07:37   #3

Yes Robert, I'm looking for a new friend to help with weather routing. If that's not you, I don't really see much purpose in your posting. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.
stevekoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 07:45   #4

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekoerner View Post
Yes Robert, I'm looking for a new friend to help with weather routing. If that's not you, I don't really see much purpose in your posting. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

When I seek free, largely expert advice here on CF, I try to graciously accept all efforts toward that end. Some may be less on target than others, but their intentions are good...
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 07:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekoerner View Post
I didn't explain myself very well, you can always depend on your old good friend to send you timely info. Your new internet friend might get bored of it after the first week of set schedules and simply not bother with you anymore.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 08:44   #6

stevekoerner,

Why would anyone consider helping you or being your "friend" after your response to robert sailor? Best of luck
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:00   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Sure. Come paint my boat and we'll talk.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:24   #8

Boat: McGregor 26

Interesting approach Steve. You must be fresh out of friends. I wonder why???
oceanbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:26   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Can you be more specific about the passage. What is your departure port and destination?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome Aboard CF Steve.

What follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice, and with the sole intent to help you.

My core impression of your request is that you are offering nothing but a headache, time consumption, and responsibility (and possibly liability) for your "weather guru." You are asking a lot and offering nothing in return. Your proposition is one-sided.

You expect them (a stranger to you) to take an active, responsible role, with daily analysis and reports to you, for free, to help keep you safe.

As I see it, the responsibility is yours, as a co-captain of your boat, to monitor the weather, every day. And the responsibility of a well prepared voyage across an ocean can require paying for some services, if you don't have the skills to do it yourself.

My advice: If you feel the need for assistance from a more experienced or more skilled, or more knowledgeable person ("guru") or available responsible person to do anything, you should pay them or compensate them for their expertise, and meet their terms, and not expect them to only meet your terms. Relationships work better when both parties get something of value to them from it.

Your voyage to Hawaii may take 18-25 days (a rough average) and you expect someone with expertise to freely spend their time working for you, reporting to you individually each day, after analysis, for that period? SMH

Aside from that, I wish you bon voyage.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:44   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Hi All
This post is getting some very negative replies. OK perhaps he did not phase his request to well and made it sound a bit demanding but essentially this is a novice (to open ocean sailing) skipper recognizing his inexperience and asking for help. Does he even know there are professional weather routers? I for one have asked for, and got, some great advice from forum members. So lets be a little more generous.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:49   #12

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

PM sent. Happy to oblige. Ask only for your daily position and current wx report.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:55   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Steve, you may find a suitable guru, and that's great, but the passage is one that you can easily weather-route yourself. The weather information is fairly easy to get while you're at sea, and the routing decisions you will need to make are usually pretty obvious. I suggest that you look at the topic here on the forum, and look at what's available on the Pacific Cup (a Hawaii race) website: https://pacificcup.org/kb#Weather and Environment

Assuming you leave from San Francisco, depending on your boat (and other factors) it will probably take 10-20 days (my average is two weeks +/- a day). Add a couple of days if you are leaving from Los Angeles or San Diego.

Getting outside help is fine, but in seamanship one of the challenges and source of pride is learning how to do this yourself.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 10:40   #14

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Good grief! I did not even know one would want, let alone need, a shore based weather guru for a sail to Hawaii, perhaps unless one is racing. I've done without each time, but then it was from southern California. Just curious, would the advisor select the sails as well?
Old 13-01-2018, 11:04   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

You have predictawind iridium go and a inreach that gives you weather, how much more do you need? Seriously you have enough. Choose the right time of year and use the technology you have, you will be fine.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage, weather