Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 16:24   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Internet-Independent Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

Or if you have an 802 with a Pactor all of the interconnections are already set up. All you have to do is select the "Get FAX" option with the Airmail program. Get FAX already has a list of stations and frequencies built into the software and it takes care of managing the 802 settings.
There you go Dockhead. Just download AirMail....Windows only.

http://siriuscyber.net/airmail/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 08:07   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Slight drift, but anyone know if you can get usable weatherfax between Cape Verde and Brazil?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:02   #18

Location: Boat is currently at a marina in Point Richmond, CA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'

Has anyone here ever used Delorme's marine weather service?
jenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:50   #19

Boat: Comet 41s

These guys use different models and weather information from the most reputable services and show it on the most usable user interface, one that makes easy to understand the weather pattern evolution:

https://www.windytv.com/?mbeurope,20...2.160,-3.735,6

Change between GFS, ECMWF and NEMS and see how the results can be significantly different.North of Aberdeen, Ofhshore Peter Head, not far from the coast, conform with the models and data used you will get 16, 24 and 30K for the same place at the same time.

Don't forget also that there is a considerable diference between models resulting fro European data and American data due to the way what is sustained wind is considered (1m for Americans, 10m? for Europeans).
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:56   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
These guys use different models and weather information from the most reputable services and show it on the most usable user interface, one that makes easy to understand the weather pattern evolution:

https://www.windytv.com/?mbeurope,20...2.160,-3.735,6

Change between GFS, ECMWF and NEMS and see how the results can be significantly different.North of Aberdeen, Ofhshore Peter Head, not far from the coast, conform with the models and data used you will get 16, 24 and 30K for the same place at the same time.

Don't forget also that there is a considerable diference between models resulting fro European data and American data due to the way what is sustained wind is considered (1m for Americans, 10m? for Europeans).
And also don't forget that there is a difference between precision and accuracy, especially beyond a few days of forecast. I like seeing the higher-resolution model outputs for (I hope) more detailed current conditions, but after a day or two any of these forecasts become pretty approximate, regardless of the apparent displayed detail.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:26   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I certainly second the idea of a proper wweather receiving forum. I have both an Icom 802 and a Iridium Extreme and I thought I was covered wearing both aa belt and suspenders.

Well - turns out the Iridium doesn't work with Windows 10 and guess what it is impossible to buy a new computer with windows 7 or 8.

I have an aversion to apple so I'm stuck. Iridium says laconically "yeah we know about this, and maybe we'll get around to writing a fix in 6 months or so - or maybe it will be at a later date."

Did someone say "Customer service"?

Why not get a refurbished windows7 laptop? $80-200 will tide you over until Iridium comes thru.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:33   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

If no Internet then I think your choices are:

- VHF,
- mobile (phone) networks,
- HF,
- sat.

You can get imagery and voice thru each of the above but I think there is no imagery sent out on the VHF (unless there is something location specific).

Well offshore it is only HF or sat.

Radiofax is a great source just mind not all the areas are covered and not all the services are reliable.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:56   #23

- VHF,
- HF,
- sat.

You can get imagery and voice thru each of the above but I think there is no imagery sent out on the VHF (unless there is something location specific).

Radiofax is a great source just mind not all the areas are covered and not all the services are reliable.

b.
Old 28-11-2016, 12:39   #24
cruiser

Also on the horizon is outernet.
https://outernet.is

Global grib files anywhere using the windty interface, a Raspberry Pi runs continuously recieving L-band satellite data.

There was a forum post somewhere about work on an antenna which would work on a moving platform like a boat but can't find it now, if that was cracked then it could be a welcome addition for offshore weather - no data fees, just a cheap initial outlay plus another few hundred milliamp power draw.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:43   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

- VHF,
- HF,
- sat.

b.
I think everyone understands this. In VHF/mobile network range, there is no question here at all.

The question was about the best ways to do it via HF radio and/or sat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

(...)

it seems to me a good time to start weaning myself off Internet-based resources.

(...)

3. Then for GRIBS, upon which I am inordinately dependent, I would use SailDocs.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

I will be very interested to know what others are doing.
You can get fax imagery over the HF but gribs, as far as I know, always come from some sort of Internet (data server) source.

You will be very happy with a fax image on the table, a grib laded into a PC or a plotter and some onboard wx skills. You have big influence over the skills part, while technology just comes and goes.

You can get spot forecasts from InReach with hardly knowing there is anything like the Internet related to the data. Worth trying out given the extra usability of an InReach device (tracking, 2-way texting, SAR, etc.)

I believe spot wx as well as track wx services are about to be deployed by alternative Iridium Inmarsat and Globalstar channels. This may be what will dominate the wx delivery services for the outback adventurist in next 10 years or so.

Radiofax over the outernet would be very nice but it is not that developed yet.

Cheers,
b.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:18   #27

Boat: Riva 48

If you want to be truly net independent (not sure why) you may also consider downloading radar images directly from weather satellites. Ham forums have detailed instructions and equipment is not very expensive. Interpreting the raw data will have a learning curve though.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:34   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Radiofax over the outernet would be very nice but it is not that developed yet.
There are actually world wide grib data being beamed down now, but no one has had a good go at getting a stable antenna on a moving boat yet.
Old 02-12-2016, 21:27   #29

Quote:

You can get spot forecasts from InReach with hardly knowing there is anything like the Internet related to the data. Worth trying out given the extra usability of an InReach device (tracking, 2-way texting, SAR, etc.)

b.
I have used the Inreach for three years now. The first two for texting and tracking.
My Admiral, son, daughter & friends like to follow along on my sailing escapades via Delorme Mapshare.
It's nice to be able to keep in touch via text no matter where I am.
This past year I used the Marine Weather feature of the Inreach from the
UK to Lisbon. Data is from OCENS. Worked great, condensed a bit
but was accurate. Paired to a smart improves this a bit
This trip I was crew on another's boat.
I find it very reassuring to have my own independent way of communicating,
getting basic weather, back up SOS and GPS coordinates.
This with a good set of paper charts and I'm good to go.
I even bring a 6000ma booster battery pack to get a few recharges into
the thing in case the boat has a total electrical failure.
Now playing with a Sony 7600/BlackCat software to get weather snoptics.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:33   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
I have used the Inreach for three years now. The first two for texting and tracking.
My Admiral, son, daughter & friends like to follow along on my sailing escapades via Delorme Mapshare.
It's nice to be able to keep in touch via text no matter where I am.
This past year I used the Marine Weather feature of the Inreach from the
UK to Lisbon. Data is from OCENS. Worked great, condensed a bit
but was accurate. Paired to a smart improves this a bit
This trip I was crew on another's boat.
I find it very reassuring to have my own independent way of communicating,
getting basic weather, back up SOS and GPS coordinates.
This with a good set of paper charts and I'm good to go.
I even bring a 6000ma booster battery pack to get a few recharges into
the thing in case the boat has a total electrical failure.
Now playing with a Sony 7600/BlackCat software to get weather snoptics.
Cheers
Neil
I would appreciate having that kind of basic weather data, and I like other features of these devices, so I definitely plan to have either DeLorme or Yellow Brick at some point.

But the spot forecast will not show you systems forming and approaching and from where, and so will not help you for routing yourself -- you need weatherfax, and conveniently, also gribs if you can get them.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, weather