Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 10:42   #31

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: I hit a bridge :(

i nearly hit one of the piles of the Auckland Harbour Bridge when one of my mates who was steering at the time decided he knew the boat better than i did and ignored my instruction to head well high on the wind because the trimaran didnt have a decent enough keel so tended to actually head about 30 degrees off its nose. I was up forward doing something when i realised the silly bastard was going to go straight into the pile, had to drop the mainsail on my way back to the cockpit to get her back on track - bloke probably still thinks he knew what he was doing.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:48   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
i nearly hit one of the piles of the Auckland Harbour Bridge when one of my mates who was steering at the time decided he knew the boat better than i did and ignored my instruction to head well high on the wind because the trimaran didnt have a decent enough keel so tended to actually head about 30 degrees off its nose. I was up forward doing something when i realised the silly bastard was going to go straight into the pile, had to drop the mainsail on my way back to the cockpit to get her back on track - bloke probably still thinks he knew what he was doing.
Yes as you know there can be tricky wind gusts and tidal currents there.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:31   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:

I think from now on, when there is a bridge in the area, I will roll up the rain fly to give us overhead visibility
Actually, I think that's a very good idea, and might apply to any time one is under way. It is so d--n hard to balance one's needs for shade and visibility where it is hot and sunny.

FWIW, our solution has been to make an "underway" awning, that covers only one side of the cockpit, so that the watchstander can stand up on the other side of it with total visibility. It zips in at the aft edge of the dodger (on each side) and has two bungies aft. It takes only a moment to drop it when needed, and there is a spot to get out of the brilliant hot sun.

On another note, these "learning experiences" can be quite embarrassing, if not expensive, and usually one beats oneself up a bit afterwards. Sorry it happened, guys. But since it did, learn from it and move on.

Cheers

Ann
Old 07-11-2015, 14:19   #34

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmofish View Post
I am (fairly) new sailor. That being said: Here is a video I came across several years ago that, simply, amuses me. I love this guy and his seamanship.

"A tall mast under a low bridge." It's, obviously, not the first time he has done this.

https://youtu.be/kiv0fxFcV3I

NHF
That's clever. Welcome to CF Gizmo.. had a ferret called Gizmo once. nice ferret.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 21:55   #35

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Went up the mast. Can see where the forestay scraped the bridge. Rigging fine, no compression or broken strands, but will replace when we get back to the states. No marks on mast, so it never hit the actual mast.
Brian had bought the full set of tangs and chain plates from pacific seacraft ( mast maker co, can't remember name) before we left to go cruising. We had planned to replace everything along the way. This will bump it up on our schedule, though everything looks fine, it is original 1989 tangs/chain plates.
Erika
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	112504  
Old 07-11-2015, 22:41   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Things we do to our rigs make us feel safe at sea! Good on ya both, Ocean Girl.

Ann
Old 13-11-2015, 14:37   #37

Boat: Lafitte 44

Well hell, I joined you in this damn club today.! Morgan City LA. 1st bridge is 72 and second is not. Lost my new wind instrument and dunno the damage yet. Doesn't look bad from dock. I'll investigate in New Orleans. Gonna go have a drink now.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-11-2015, 15:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon_tsd View Post
Well hell, I joined you in this damn club today.! Morgan City LA. 1st bridge is 72 and second is not. Lost my new wind instrument and dunno the damage yet. Doesn't look bad from dock. I'll investigate in New Orleans. Gonna go have a drink now.

Sounds like you got away with it too. Congrats!

We decided we will replace the forestay and all tangs, but that is still lucky in my book.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 16:36   #39

Thank. I'll let ya know more once we get to N.O.

Old 13-11-2015, 17:47   #40

NOW! I see the bridge height comments on Active Captain... too bad you can't get AC on your cell phone....
Old 13-11-2015, 19:35   #41

Boat: IP 40

Raindog/OG and Xeon - I'm really glad to hear y'all got away with no/minor damage. I'd definitely call that's definitely a win i my book.

Now get out there and enjoy it...oh and blog about it so we have something to get us through our refit. Can't wait to join you 'out there'.

Old 13-11-2015, 21:18   #42

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Following this thread made me recall being aboard a friends 60 footer and traveling under the second narrows bridge at the eastern end of Vancouver Harbour. My buddy was on the helm as we powered under the bridge only to have forgotten the railroad lift bridge just east of the second narrows bridge. The bridge tender had seen us coming and attempted to raise the middle span in time but we were coming in a little too hot and clipped the wind vane, and rest of the mast head instruments and anchor light but didn't touch the fore stay or mast. Shithouse luck but still cost a pretty penny to replace what he lost! Lesson learned! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 06:34   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Went up the mast. Can see where the forestay scraped the bridge. Rigging fine, no compression or broken strands, but will replace when we get back to the states. No marks on mast, so it never hit the actual mast.
Brian had bought the full set of tangs and chain plates from pacific seacraft ( mast maker co, can't remember name) before we left to go cruising. We had planned to replace everything along the way. This will bump it up on our schedule, though everything looks fine, it is original 1989 tangs/chain plates.
Erika
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
We decided we will replace the forestay and all tangs, but that is still lucky in my book.

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote