Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2011, 17:53   #91

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Re: Hurricane Irene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
how good are bow lines for tieing up to poles with a hurricane?
you know make the loop and send loop thru itself to grab the piling.
These are better:

Perko Dock Line Spring 10 In PKO-0759001ZNC - Mooring Buoys, Pendants and Whips - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store

with chain on either side to boat and to piling (not necessarily to the cleat on the dock). Otherwise fire hose, or plastic water hose to lessen nylon rope chafe wherever the nylon comes into contact with metal...

Michael

Edit: or tires, imagine used radials would be great as snubbers...
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 18:35   #92

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I have never seen those springs on a boat line.

Most of my ropes are 3 strand nylon.
Non floating docks and nice tall pilings.
These pilings are really big, some even up to 15 inches across. And no rot that I can see. they are also old pilings creosote impregnated.

And I have seen some really rotten looking docks. this marina is not like that. Some of those rotten pilings at another marina look eaten down below the waterline and ready to snap. What is interesting is the marina I am currently at also has some old and new pilings and the old ones are in great shape.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 18:55   #93

Boat: O'Day 28
Unhappy Re: Hurricane Irene

Well, with the recent westing, the regulars at the Handlebar were somewhat red-faced that Irene is now going to pulverize beautiful Bofort, NC. Of course these guys are naturally red-faced due to the drinking. A local weather person opined Irene would go between Harker's Island and Cape Lookout. Mates, that ain't real far, and more to the point: less than 10 miles from where I sit.

The big boys and marina crowd are gone up the river to the yards. People are boarding up downtown. It would appear that quite a few boats are going to ride it out in Taylor Creek in soft sandy mud. Parties start shortly. Sails will be shredded. The biggest concern of many is whether the liquor store is still open. Mine is whether the wind will blow the boat over.

We shall see. One good thing is the worst of the weather is to be in the afternoon. So no creepy nighttime action to further confuse.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 19:09   #94

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717
I have never seen those springs on a boat line.

Most of my ropes are 3 strand nylon.
Non floating docks and nice tall pilings.
These pilings are really big, some even up to 15 inches across. And no rot that I can see. they are also old pilings creosote impregnated.

And I have seen some really rotten looking docks. this marina is not like that. Some of those rotten pilings at another marina look eaten down below the waterline and ready to snap. What is interesting is the marina I am currently at also has some old and new pilings and the old ones are in great shape.
Where are you located nice marina from sounds of it. 15" pilings but how high? Seems like from what I'm reading areas in NE could see 15' surge I think that's what I saw don't hold me to it. I saw 8 in Bob thinking good chance areas will see more then that with Irene. Maybe measure the piling height go high tide and add in expected surge now how much is left above the water. Very few marinas have that kinda of piling. Some yes yours I hope if your north east us. Feel a tad like chicken little but checking ahead is a good idea. Hope this thing gets squished by cold air and a ridge starts pushing it east. Better to cover your ass now then get caught. Good luck let's hope
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 19:48   #95

Boat: Tartan 30

Im in hampton roads, everyone seems to think this will be the fiercest storm in history... One guy a few boats down even said "I just watched the news and they said this will be the worst storm in our lifetime"... I've been through many hurricanes (more than 10) but never on a boat!

In a marina with floating docks, 8 feet until the marina floats free... They said durring Isabel it was about 6" away from the top. But, I don't believe this storm is approaching Isabel standards (for this area). Chances are, the storm will follow the Gulf Stream out to sea after making a mess of NC. There's also a Cold front coming that should either help push it east, or lessen its forces a little.

I hear people talking about New York preparing for evacuations. c'mon... It's got 1000 miles before it reaches LIS

Still undecided about staying on the boat. right now my decision is to wait until I the boat breaks apart, or the marina floats free, and then make (swim?) for the marina facilites, which is a nice safe building... Either that or I'm going to leave with some of the other liveaboards, if they decide to leave. The boat is insured, so I'm not risking life'n'limb for her, but I'd hate to fall victim to the fear monger news reporters that everyone else is depending on.

Current predictions are for Tropical storm conditions with a 'chance' of hurricane conditions (again, for this area only). approximate 4' surge, downgrading to a cat 2 by the time she reaches our latitude. And thats Before she heads out to sea after NC
Old 25-08-2011, 20:03   #96

Quote:
Where are you located nice marina from sounds of it. 15" pilings but how high?
Marina cove boat basin is the name. A lot of older boats and deadrise fisherman are also here. this marina was originally built in the late 1940's. 2 travelifts to haul out and I pay 100 month with unmetered power and water.
Plus the guy who runs the place is a nice Norweigen fellow. these guys are like old school, been around boats all their lives. He will haul out any boat, some places wont haul out wooden boats.

The pilings at high tide are about 8 feet above the boat deck.
The seawall is at my stern and it has a heavy beam to tie up all along the dock and is bolted to buried pilings. that likely wont ever pull out and the winds are going to be pushing the boat away from that. I can park less than 8 feet from my boat.

This is a shot of me pumping some sludge out of the tank and you can see the heavy beam sea wall and the gravel parking. The old house boat is Guses, right next to mine. On the other side is a nice double masted schooner and he live's aboard.
Old 25-08-2011, 20:16   #97

here is a google satelite image, you can see the marina on the left on the back river right near LAFB in Hampton. Also Hampton has no personal property tax on boats!

The empty slip 6 slips from the inward land end along that wall is where my boat is now. I spent 5 years on the hard in that yard doing repairs.

The innermost boat is a houseboat and only a cat lives in that, the owner sort of passed on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-23.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	30847  
Old 25-08-2011, 20:17   #98

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
If I'm not mistaken they go slow to suck up a whole lot more energy before charging on again - or not?
There is still time to shoot up the Hudson River. As I mentioned earlier, I rode out a TS last Sept. in Haverstraw Bay. The winds got to around 60. I always anchor there when going up/down the Hudson. In a long day you can make it from PJ. From Greenport, 2 days. There are few boats there. Farther up is Esopus Creek which is about as protected as you could possibly get. In really bad storm, it would be the best spot I could think of short of being in the canal system (would require dropping mast).
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 20:28   #99

Can't hurt to stick a chain around the underside of the dock and around the pilling maybe a few either sidei. Looks like a nice place I am not trusting the forecast until late tomorrow. Irene is a very bad girl and there is a lot of ifss and timing driving her course.very complicated weather scene. Not a normal set up for so I'm weary of the predicted path. When the forecasters sound confident that's good when they leave big gaps and alternates that's a call you get to make I'm going with 48 hours out trend is west. Do everything you can.
Old 25-08-2011, 20:42   #100
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

saw those springs on a dock line in fla. figgered it to be yotty overkill... dunno-- they looked more like auto springs when i saw em tho and i saw a pair in the bayou were auto springs for hurrycames...interesting.. usually spring lines are just lines in a certain position from boat to dock.
chaining dock to piling and boat isnt too bad an idea ---as long as dock and boat do not contact for rubbing and banging.. problem is if dock is a floating dock and the 12-15 or more feet of surge take the dock and piling, what about the boat....
i think marina mazatlan(where i am) is looking better as a hurrycame hole than originally thunk.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 21:19   #101

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Losing ones boat be dead serious, but there are even larger risks afoot. If NYC gets a direct hit or even just 20 inches of rain, there will be a rather large disaster.

[QUOTE][/Subway flooding

Service on the subway system is occasionally disrupted by flooding from rainstorms, even minor ones.[128] Rainwater can disrupt signals underground and require the electrified third rail to be shut off. Since 1992, $357 million has been used to improve 269 pump rooms. As of August 2007, $115 million has been earmarked to upgrade the remaining 18 pump rooms.[129] Despite these improvements, the transit system continues to experience flooding problems.

Rain from drainage pipes comes into a subway car

On August 8, 2007, after more than 3 inches (76 mm) of rain fell within an hour, the subway system flooded, causing every line to either be disabled or seriously disrupted, effectively halting the morning rush. This was the third incident in 2007 in which rain disrupted service. The system was disrupted on this occasion because the pumps and drainage system can handle only a rainfall rate of 1.75 inches (44 mm) per hour; the incident's severity was aggravated by the scant warning as to the severity of the storm.[130] (p. 10) In late August 2007, MTA Engineer Phil Kollin announced new plans to create a system that would pump water away from the third rail.
QUOTE]

New York City Subway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 25-08-2011, 21:28   #102

Main, Gennie, Bimini, barbie life ring are all off the upper deck damn if a piece of sky didn't just come and splash beside the boat. In the last 3 days we have earth quake hurricane and now the sky is falling. Guess with the sky falling I need to pull the solar panels.
Old 25-08-2011, 21:47   #103

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Hold fast, Americans, and good luck with your preparations. The point about Irene hitting in daylight is very true: this would be even worse at 2 AM.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 04:54   #104

From this mornings track looks like my boat will get a direct hit on the Sat & Sun. Going to take the mainsail of today all 540 square feet of it. Extra lines on the mooring already in place. Bow drogue installed. Had a lovely sunset sail the other night hope it was not the last one.
Old 26-08-2011, 05:01   #105

Boat: Seafarer 26
It dawned on me that most may not track hurricanes as frequently as Floridians.

No one knows with certainty exactly where a hurricane will go. It makes a huge difference which side of the storm you are on.

At this point if you are not prepared then do the best you can and leave. A cat 3 or 4 is a major hurricane and will do significant damage where it hits. The highest winds are at the surrounding eye wall and are less the further away you are.
So as a general rule if you are 100 miles away or more your going to be just fine. You will see tropical storm with alot of rain and maybe some tornados.

All the best to everyone.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane