Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 14:18   #46

Re: Hurricane Danny - NE Caribbean

Erika.....in Hungarian means Powerful,

The models are non conclusive, some say the subtropical ridge will knock her in the middle and 'take the wind out of her!'
Sending her west
Other models say she will strengthen and go north west
I never could tell what a woman might do, so your guess is as good as mine !!
Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned" as my grandmother used to say !

Which ever, hope we all come out unscathed

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 20:23   #47

We escaped the worst in Jolly harbour, Dominica not so well !

As it was my first experience of a Tropical storm ( Danny down graded before it got to Antigua) I was tracking Erica,
what was very surprising was the accuracy of the satellite , IR and Guadeloupe Radar and how incorrect the forecast and position was reported by various forecasters, one still stating that it was moving NW but in fact it moved west for 16 hrs before his report.
Dominica and Guadeloupe was in line for a big down pour from the satellite imagery for 6 hrs before it hit
Predict wind was the worst - being so far out on its timings and velocity that I will never use it again, it has not been more than 50% correct since I registered in Jan this year!

Monte's link he sent me to tropical tidbits was very good and explained his logic on variables very well.

Reading the skies was not beneficial , it doesn't do the same as the fronts that I seemed to read well in the UK,

The rain, I could read but the wind , it gave little clue without a constant layer of Stratus that obscured any features that normally preceded it in the uk, I have a lot to learn !

Hope the guys in the greater Antilles don't get Erika's proposed strengthening, good luck to you guys up north

Maybe I will, once I have been here 40+ years, as I seemed to have a sixth sense of front in the English Channel

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 21:05   #48

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Do you know by any chance how the marina in pointe a pitre guadeloupe faired. That's where I was till last June before moving to curacao
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, hurricane, rib