Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 12:49   #121

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: How do we prepare our boat for 50 kt winds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
From what little I have gleaned the hardest hit was Guymas with 5-7 boats sunk (one a fishing boat)
Area power is still out. No injury reports yer. Marina Real in SC had a few boat knocked off stands but I have heard little else.
I am assuming jack stands? If so, MHO is they are good for an in and outs not for storage on the hill.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:50   #122
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Angry Re: How do we prepare our boat for 50 kt winds?

ok i retract what i said. the marina must remain intact for anything to actually work. mairina fornatur disintigrated and took boats down . pix attached.
as that was a fairly newish marina, i am surprised it broke apart.
i hope all in marina fornatur had insurance.
this wont just buff out.
this is very sad.
the boats on hard seem to be--scattered damages.
pix attached.
y'all might wanna come see if you have boats anymore. i hope our op fared well not sunk. sunk would suck bad
one's prep is only dependent on survival of the marina in which one is docked. mazatlan seems to have been locale of choice for this beast.
mebbe i been degaussed already.

eebmike must again rebuild as he was slammed in concepcion bay. i could only find the auto updating info , nothing from him. i hope he is ok.

communication in mexico after a big storm-- the area hit hardest is down usually for a week or two, if anyone has sat fone, is usually only in and out.
i am most surprised that marina fell apart so badly.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 13:44   #123

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There are some more pics at 'Lectronic Latitude, Latitude 38's website. Very little information available, as yet.

Hope you're okay s/v Shameless.

When you come back on line, and have some extra time, can you please find out how the little boat, "Anwagomi" faired? It would have been among the ones on the hard. It belongs to friends who live at Joshua Tree in CA. Thanks.

Ann
Old 07-09-2016, 14:55   #124

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

From our boat broker
"Things are bad at Seca. I already know of 1 of my sold boats down. I took pics but w camera since I had no more batt on this phone after last night. Scary time for us w a broken glass front door and 90 mph winds and rain howling into the house. Had to spark up our genset to charge this fone. Cleaning up today and hope to get out tomorrow and get wifi to send pics. Still no lights anywhere in town, many lamp posts down."

Ann Ill keep my eye out for any mention for your friends. We still dont know about our own boat
Old 07-09-2016, 15:34   #125

Boat: Skookum 47

Just had a phone conversation with one the yard guys in Marina Guaymas. He couldn't get into the yard but did a drive by and say boats toppled in the secondary yard. I didn't get a number because our connection wasn't great, but it sucks nonetheless. It seems some boats still had sails on their furlers, and looks as though they came undone and blew over.

I am also getting reports that Werner - older German gent with a dog that rides in the sidecar - lost his boat on the rocks. He is alive and being tended to, although I am unsure of his condition beyond that.

Heartfelt sympathies go out to those that are dealing with damages/loss. My heart has been in my throat all day, but I finally got word my boat is upright. I am breathing a huge sigh of relief, but still need to get a better handle on possible damages to solar panels & etc.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 16:35   #126

Boat: Norseman 400

Shameless was stripped naked except for the bimini and solar panels, but every screw was tightened and it was secured with more line.

We adjusted dock lines two or three times during the entirely sleepless night as the wind changed direction. Highest gust we saw on the electronics was 55 knots.

Shameless came through Newton without a scratch. More details, photos, and video to follow. Right now, we need a nap.

Oh - Thanks so much everyone for all the advice. It worked!!!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 16:56   #127

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Wonderful news Shameless!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 17:10   #128

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Awesome news shameless!
Old 07-09-2016, 17:16   #129

both articles from todays lectronic latitude--posted pix in the other thread.

UPDATE: Newton Crushes Boats at Fonatur Marina

September 7, 2016 – Guaymas, Mainland Mexico
As you can tell from the item above, as we were about to post today's reports we had assumed that Newton had lost a lot of steam and wasn’t going to do much damage on the mainland. It just goes to prove you can’t assume anything, because a report posted on Rob Murray’s Facebook page indicated there was indeed extensive damage at the Fonatur Marina in Guaymas. It is reported that at least seven boats have sunk at the dock, and based on the photos, there was extensive damage to other boats, the dock, and the facility.

It’s unclear to us who is the source of the information and who took the photos, but we believe the material comes from Rob Murray, who got it from Gary on Searover II, who has just talked to — and may have got it from — a gentleman named Eduardo, who was apparently on the scene and may run the facility.

The report is that all of the boats that were on the hard at the Fonatur facility are fine.

There was considerable damage to the docks at the Fonatur Marina.

Photo Courtesy Unknown
© 2016 Latitude 38 Publishing, LLC

It was also reported that "Boats in Gabriel’s Yard didn’t fare as well . . . some idiot left sails on and it looks as though that took out at least a few others."

Eduardo has said he will send photos of every boat to her owner in the coming days.

More news as we get it. If you are onsite, we would appreciate your input and photos.

This doesn't look good. Newton saved his worst for the end of his maritime ride.

Photo Courtesy Unknown

Hurricane Newton Takes Its Toll

September 7, 2016 – Southern Baja and Mainland Mexico

(Click on the photo to enlarge it.)
There was some hurricane Newton damage to the palapas at Medano Beach at Cabo, but nothing serious.

Photo Courtesy Baja Cantina

Two of the five crew aboard a Mexican shrimp boat in the Sea of Cortez reportedly died after the vessel they were on capsized during the height of hurricane Newton early on Tuesday morning. Three other crew are missing and likely to have perished. Otherwise Newton's damage to marine interests was limited.

Newton was the seventh hurricane to hit the tip of Cabo since 1971. Fortunately, it was only a Category 1, and nothing like Category 4 Odile that did so much damage to Cabo and La Paz two Septembers ago.

The center of Newton hit Cabo on Monday night about 10:30 p.m., where a National Weather Service station recorded sustained winds of 67 knots, with one gust of 100 knots. Phone and Internet service were knocked out for the night, palms and palapas were blown over, there was flooding, and a few windows were broken. As hurricanes go, this was nothing for Cabo.

The center of Newton passed about 50 miles to the west of the major yachting center of La Paz, where many boats are stored for the summer.

"Looking out my second story window, I can see three sailboats and an old motoryacht aground on the Mogote," Neil Shroyer of Marina de La Paz told Latitude. He did not know the names or types. "We were fortunate in that the wind came out of the east and then out of the south," said Shroyer, "as it gives us a lot of protection." Wind out of the north and northeast would be the worst.

Will Imanse of the La Paz-based Sceptre 36 Shaman tells Latitude that none of the four boats that went aground were occupied, and their owners were in the States or Canada. “It seems that these were the same boats that went up during Odile,” says Imanse. “More than a few members of the cruising community are wondering why we should risk our lives rescuing these boats again if the owners can’t be bothered to take proper care of them or assign someone to do it while they are gone."

Both Shroyer and Imanse thought the winds in La Paz were mostly in the mid-30s and maxed out with a few 50-knot gusts in the middle of the night. “The soap dish falling over was the biggest effect a gust had on my boat,” jokes Imanse. "A couple of boats at Marina Palmira suffered slight damage as a result of their not being tied up well."

As one might expect, a few roller furling jibs and some canvas was torn. But as in Cabo, Newton was not a major weather event in La Paz.

(After Newton passed, Imanse reports he had dinner with the wife of a La Paz undertaker, and she told him that her husband had removed two bodies from a boat in one of the marinas. Imanse has not been able to find out any more about the report, nor has anybody mentioned any deaths, so hopefully it was a case of misunderstanding or misinformation.)

Marine interests at Puerto Escondido were not damaged by Newton. Now that the government-owned Fonatur Marina has been taken over by private interests, more development is expected at Puerto Escondido.

Photo Courtesy Marina Puerto Escondido

A spokeswoman for Marina Puerto Escondido, farther to the north, told Latitude that “Newton's wind blew pretty hard, but there was no damage to the boats or the facility.” The wind likely hit Puerto Escondido harder than it did La Paz, as an official weather station at nearby Loreto recorded a gust of 77 knots.

Newton then crossed the Sea of Cortez to mainland Mexico, making landfall around Bahia Kino. Winds of up to 64 knots were recorded in the Guaymas/San Carlos area. We haven’t been able to make contact with anyone there, but there shouldn’t have been great damage.

Despite some drenchings, the Baja highways are open.

All in all, it could have been much worse. However, the two busiest hurricane months in Mexico are upon us, so it’s no time to relax. But the great cruising season is not that far away.

- latitude / richard
Old 07-09-2016, 19:01   #130

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Congrats, s/v Shameless! It's pretty scary what can happen when things start breaking.

Sea Dreaming, I hope you get word of your boat, soon. It must just be awful not knowing at the same time as trying to get loose to go see her. Good luck, luck always helps!

And, thanks for having a look for Anwagomi. If you're familiar with the design, it's a Golden Hinde 31, gold anodized mast, boat colors white and green, with tan sail cover and dodger (if on the boat). Thanks for trying.

Ann
Old 07-09-2016, 22:24   #131

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Our friends are still waiting for news about Cricket (Cal 43), which was on the hard at Marina Guaymas.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 22:35   #132

Boat: Skookum 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Our friends are still waiting for news about Cricket (Cal 43), which was on the hard at Marina Guaymas.
I got an email from Gabriel, the yard owner, a few hours ago. He wrote that all was well in the yard. Obviously I am sure solar panels, dodgers, etc are damaged, but hopefully that's it. I heard some boats when over in the secondary yard, but that runs a bit contrary to what Gabriel stated. I am sure all will come to light tomorrow.

Best wishes for everyone.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:17   #133

Fantastic news Shameless!. I've been waiting and hoping for your reply! Excellent preparedness.

Great that your boat came through SF Bay Dude. It must have been extremely hard being so far away.

My heart goes out to all who suffered damage. That finger that collapsed in ZeeHags photo is very sus! There are boat on it with biminis still intact?

Again, outstanding contributions from the members here.

Cheers,

John
JBBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:38   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
Just had a phone conversation with one the yard guys in Marina Guaymas. He couldn't get into the yard but did a drive by and say boats toppled in the secondary yard. I didn't get a number because our connection wasn't great, but it sucks nonetheless. It seems some boats still had sails on their furlers, and looks as though they came undone and blew over.

I am also getting reports that Werner - older German gent with a dog that rides in the sidecar - lost his boat on the rocks. He is alive and being tended to, although I am unsure of his condition beyond that.

Heartfelt sympathies go out to those that are dealing with damages/loss. My heart has been in my throat all day, but I finally got word my boat is upright. I am breathing a huge sigh of relief, but still need to get a better handle on possible damages to solar panels & etc.
SF Bay Dude
Hello, I am Gabriel Larios
Manager/Owner Marina Guaymas
I really have no idea what are you talking about.
Yes, we got a couple incidents like any other marina in the area, but certainly much less incident than any other, our dry storage it is OK, we still checking every single boat to make sure wich ones was receive damage because of the strong winds (we are checking solar panels, hatches, etc)
What really put my attention in your post was you say we leave sails on their furless!!! No way was truth, please before put a note verify
It is my duty and I will do it, I will contact the owners of the couple boats who receive damage from the storm, I do not gonna put an advertisement about that, I JUST GONNA CONTACT THE OWNERS, and is their choice if they share or not the info

Please put attention in what you post, just worry people for nothing.

By the way, how are you?? I respond over 100 emails yesterday and I dont lie at all..... Please try to be more diplomatic
If yourselve feel good posting on the internet, it is OK for me... but dont post lies
GabrielLarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:04   #135

the marina folks all throughout mexico are excellent at notifications and protections of boats. they are accountable to and for so many boats and owners. accurate with their reporting, flexible with the slip assignments--if you feel unsafe, they allow you to relocate and prep as you see fit. they will send assistants to help if you need.
what happened at fornatur marina was in all probability due to construction methods, the modular plastic set up. it is uniform, all the marinas of fornatur use it, and all potentially have identical issues.
i always trust my gut feelings when i seek marinas and individual slippage for bird. as i self insure, except for liability, which is always current, i must not only always make sure i have no insecurities of my location, but keep current with advanced weather info. and donot forget physics, as hte construction methods and basin construction are most important in surviving intact or almost so.
if my stormchaser friends are gleeful, i know we gonna die. they were ecstatic over patricia, this only got their attention at too late timing for escape from the area for any appropriate out of zone locations.
the damages are horrific. i feel badly for those who lost so much.

the only positivity from hurricane damages is that the ins companies sell boats for realllly cheap after-- the ones they write off go for so little that i consider it my insurance program.
this means that, if your boat was totalled by ins company, you can buy it back, if it was your dream one of a kind boat, and rebuild it. especially if that damage is not impressively fatal.
i hope you all fared well in this ugly mess.

Tags
wind