Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 23:32   #76
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: How do we prepare our boat for 50 kt winds?

That's Catagoey 2 now.

You could consider getting a room.in a stout hotel. There's nothing you can do on a boat in 80 to 90 know winds.

Its safer for you to be ashore.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 23:56   #77

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

Name:   storm.PNG
Views: 484
Size:  24.7 KB
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 00:05   #78

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

s/v Shameless, if you have not yet done it, remove weather cloths. Anything at all on deck that you can fit below, do. It's all about reducing windage. If you get finished with your own boat, and there is no more to do, then turn your attention to your friends' boats, or boats that could damage you if they get loose.

Make up additional chafing gear. Make sure you use it around the dock if you put those storm surge lines that Snow Petrel was writing about on. If possible, each place where a turn goes around a cleat, chafe gear should be on that--some places, people use flip flops for chafe gear on cleats.

Finally, expect wind gusts up to 40% higher than the average predicted wind strengths. Averages do not accurately reflect the high and low ends of the mean. So, you need to be prepared for a wind gust 40% higher than the 105 recently posted. Easier if you use 50 % for your thinking.

I have to say that the hotel might be a better deal than the marina, but it's truly an individual decision.

I wish you safely through it.

Ann
Old 06-09-2016, 00:07   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockabout View Post
Time to pray and move to solid hotel inland. I wouldn't trust being in or near a new building in that monster.

I have a question and it is too late now for the boats now caught. I've know in the past of fishing fleets to leave port and head out to ocean away from the approaching storm. Given that 2 to 3 days notice was given of this hurricane why didn't anyone consider this as an option?

I know these beasts can change direction but when heading towards land they usually stay on track.

I pray all. Stay safe.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:19   #80

This is the side of CFthat I really enjoy. Excellent feedback/information, especially from the non-couch cruisers.

Best of luck Salilor647! I'll be thinking of you guys

Cheers,

John
JBBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:21   #81

Click image for larger version

Name:	storm...PNG
Views:	163
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	130698

the eye is still over warm water / the storm looks to be widening
Old 06-09-2016, 02:41   #82

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I have a question and it is too late now for the boats now caught. I've know in the past of fishing fleets to leave port and head out to ocean away from the approaching storm. Given that 2 to 3 days notice was given of this hurricane why didn't anyone consider this as an option?
A few reasons come to my mind.
1. Newton developed from tropical depression to Category 1 in two days.
2. Disbelief (by most everyone here) that it would actually become a tropical storm, much less a hurricane.
3. The predicted path was tight, but not tight enough. Where would we go to avoid it ~ with certainty? West? North? South? No guarantees anywhere.
4. The Sea of Cortez is relatively small. You can cross it in a day. The hurricane cloud will cover the whole sea side to side. Again, where to?
4. San Carlos is known for being a 'relatively' safe hurricane hole. Not sure when they last experienced a direct hit, however.
5. The thought of taking our boat to sea when the possibility of a hurricane exists doesn't even compute in my brain. Nope.

Good question, though.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:50   #83

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Finally, expect wind gusts up to 40% higher than the average predicted wind strengths. Averages do not accurately reflect the high and low ends of the mean. So, you need to be prepared for a wind gust 40% higher than the 105 recently posted. Easier if you use 50 % for your thinking.
Great. Just great. ha

Quote:
I have to say that the hotel might be a better deal than the marina, but it's truly an individual decision.
Hotel Marina Terra sits right next to Marina San Carlos. In fact, the web cam is mounted on the roof and overlooks the whole marina. However, looking at the construction of the building, and amount of window glass, well....I'm just not sure how safe it would be in 100 mph winds.

Quote:
I wish you safely through it. Ann
Thanks, Ann. We'll do our best and stay safe. Hi to Jim.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:01   #84

Boat: Beneteau

50 knots is a breeze here in Newfoundland and we have those winds pretty regularly. I've never taken my sails down if the boat isn't on the hard. Just make sure you have adequate turns around and 50 knots won't be an issue.

Double up your lines and you'll be fine. Most damage I've seen is from fenders riding up and scuffing the gelcoat.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:17   #85

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
50 knots is a breeze here in Newfoundland and we have those winds pretty regularly. I've never taken my sails down if the boat isn't on the hard. Just make sure you have adequate turns around and 50 knots won't be an issue.

Double up your lines and you'll be fine. Most damage I've seen is from fenders riding up and scuffing the gelcoat.
Try to keep up lad!
Old 06-09-2016, 05:31   #86

Click image for larger version

Name:	storm....PNG
Views:	209
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	130700 storm seems to be thriving on the warm water
Old 06-09-2016, 05:40   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I suppose they trust the protection inside a sheltered harbor with reducing windage, adding more dock lines or anchors/chain to tangling with a nasty storm and crashing waves with no real option to sacrifice the vessel and save their lives.

Of course the fight the storm offshore presumes you can get out there and have enough room to be not driven aground.

Fishing boats are usually tied to fixed docks and these take a beating... don't they? They may not even have heavy ground tackle to anchor off.

Dunno
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:12   #88
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok sailor if you still reading--remove ALL from decks or lash well everything. if you have a bicycle or other items on dock, lash em also.
the monster got cat2 and windy, consolidated its sprawled out self and windy'ed me all night. not a bad wind, but wind of significant force.
if you use tarps to keep water out your boat, lash em down well.
we didnt have rain until this morning, but it blew all night. '
that large weather blob coming just before the storm packs winds and rain as well. want to be ready when that comes at you.
meanwhile, newton is swallowing baja sur whole. glad i donot go to soc for ha ha ha ha safety. just because the insurance companies say it is safe doesnt mean it is so. i consider it a boat trap.
once in soc, when something shoots up the sea, all are in danger, and there is no way out past it.
keep on your prep and when the beastie comes for you, shoot pix and enjoy it. it will dissipate some before trying to get you, so you will have time for pix.

seems posh mexihotels function just fine without windows..hahaha as they popped out during patricia, seems not to have beeen any kind of issue for the rich owners to replace. no one preps hotels--that scares away the clientele..ha ha ha h a
btw--we, here in mazatlan, on the fringe of the beastie made it ok. just a tad more until it is gone from here and on its way to you.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:38   #89
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I always though "head to sea, its safer out there".
Then I was anchored in a nice safeish bay where even if i sank i had a chance of survival.

But at sea if the hurricane does a course jiggle you are dead. Fish food.

This one is pretty

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:41   #90

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

I would also recommend, making sure your scuppers are clear, anti-chaff on all lines, close all seacocks especially sinks and engine exhaust if possible, definetly remove all sails and canvas as stated. Good luck bro.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind