Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 04:25   #46
cruiser

Re: Heavy weather tactics. Anyone want to share experience with sea anchors or warps

"Heavy weather tactics".

-----------------------------

the best "tactic" is....stay in the harbour/port.

or if it get you somewhere out .....two reefs and a storm jib

maybe someone else have some other tricks but this systems worked fine for me in the past 25 years
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:50   #47

Re: Heavy weather tactics. Anyone want to share experience with sea anchors or warps

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You are not anchored , so running lights
You are "Not under Command" so two all Round Red lights and sidelights and stern light, not a white masthead light.
Siskiyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 22:41   #48

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskiyous View Post

You are "Not under Command" so two all Round Red lights and sidelights and stern light, not a white masthead light.
The interpretations of NUC and RAM are complex. As I was taught lying to a sea anchor did not fit into either category.
Old 24-02-2013, 22:53   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post

The interpretations of NUC and RAM are complex. As I was taught lying to a sea anchor did not fit into either category.
Oh, of course, all cruisers have the triple masthead lights of red and white just in case they take a barge of sand in tow. I would simply use the anchor light. It signals to the other boat to go around me - I am not going to move out if your way. And to other traffic it is indistinguishable from my stern light which, happily, means the same thing: go around me.

It works perfectly. The armchair sea lawyers can breathlessly pontificate as I ride out the storm ... Asleep.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 23:13   #50

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
for more info on this see cockroft. If the weather was extreme enough (Exceptional not your average gale) you might be able to get away with it, but if you are just using it to heave too, in unpleasant weather you can not claim NUC (not under command). RAM (Restricted in Their Ability to Maneuver) are vessels hampered due to the Nature of their work.

I have often thought the best signal for alerting ships and scaring them away would be to set your masthead strobe light on a timer to flash quickly five times every couple of minute's. Meaning "I am unsure of your intentions". It sure frightened an aggressive ship away real quick the one time I used it.
Old 25-02-2013, 00:35   #51

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Here is a link to fourteen magazine articles about sea anchors or drogues or para anchors.

Sea Anchor

Haven't read them yet myself. But intend to .
Old 25-02-2013, 01:10   #52

Boat: 45ft Ketch

[QUOTE=boatman61;
Only really like simple things that can be done effectively single-handed.. so far I've been happy enough with my 2 tactic's... heaving to or laying a-hull.. depending on the type of sea being generated.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Boatman61; Choosing to heave to or lay a-hull does sound simple and might see the front pass through quicker than running with it. Would you have a preference in the weight of boat and/or type of keel for your favoured tactics?
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 03:00   #53
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
You are most certainly not NUC lying to a sea anchor, You are "underway" , even if not "making way". One could argue that RAM may be applied, but certainly not NUC.

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 06:25   #54

Instead of buying an expensive para anchor, I found me an about to be thrown away 15 ft kids trampoline. I saved the trampoline fabric with the.d-ting attachments. Then I spliced the shrouds to each of the drings(96 in total) using 20 ft lengths of 1/4" floating polypro. Then brought al the shrouds to the measured focal point of the now concave surface. Spliced and lashed them to a big 2 eye swivel on a 1" shackle. Tried it a cluple of times in about 30 kts ~15 ft seas, and it was quite comfortable. That wasusing 225' 5/8" nylon. Was plenty comfortable to be able to pump out my full of water 4ft deep bilge andfigure out the source of the leak and fix it. All that and taking a 2 hr nap after about 6 days of sleeping on the wheel for 15 minute intervals.
with all that said, yes it is am important piece of gear to have.
A windvane is another important one, but at that time I did not have one. Finaly I do now.
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:31   #55

addition:
to the OP: the best way to get good advice on it is getting/making one and trying it. Keep in mind if something feels wrong it probably is. ( I mean in the way youhave it rigged), cz every boat is a unique case regarding how or where you rig it. Personaly I rig mine keeping about 50' of rode extra, and slack it about 2" every 2 hrs.
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:54   #56

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I think I will stick with running and trailing a warp, with storm jib, Ive used oil bags a time or two with this set up and found a comfortable ride, most times the auto pilot would sail her just fine this way !! and as my old swede teacher told me " make it comfortable as ya can for you and the boat will be fine" just my 2 cents, I like to be somewhat in control hate laying ahull LOL
Old 26-02-2013, 07:05   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Heavy weather tactics. Anyone want to share experience with sea anchors or warps

[QUOTE=DumnMad;1167948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61;
Only really like simple things that can be done effectively single-handed.. so far I've been happy enough with my 2 tactic's... heaving to or laying a-hull.. depending on the type of sea being generated.[/SIZE
[/FONT]

Boatman61; Choosing to heave to or lay a-hull does sound simple and might see the front pass through quicker than running with it. Would you have a preference in the weight of boat and/or type of keel for your favoured tactics?
LOL... no choice as I sail anything that I consider seaworthy.. (others may differ on that opinion..) but yeah thats the general idea and I see no point in setting up something that adds another stress point to the boat.. my feeling..
Yes its possible to be rolled but from my experience it would have to be a very special kinda storm.. and a special kinda wave..
Laying ahull is scarey the 1st time... then you learn how to 'Really' stow stuff.. the pick up and toss will find anything not nailed down..
Still lash the rudder over but haul the boom across to windward.. keeps the nose a tad more into the wind rather than beam on..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 18:43   #58

This thread has been a wealth of info for me. I have watched a few vids. of the parachute being deployed for several different reasons. Some even for fishing on power boats. As some of you may already know . My sailing knowledge is extremely limited. So I thank you guys for posting info like this.
Im going to buy a sail boat to start having my holidays on it and to obvously sail it on the weekends as much as possible. Im hoping to start a sailing life in a few years after that. The one thing that is always in the back of my mind is sailing in foul weather, and the horrible things that could happen when things go very wrong. But then I think that I could purchase a huge motor coach conversion , take some holidays down south and get wiped off the road by some speed junkie long haul truck driver. I think i would rather be sailing. Thanks for all the tips.
travisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 16:43   #59

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisD View Post
This thread has been a wealth of info for me. I have watched a few vids. of the parachute being deployed for several different reasons. Some even for fishing on power boats. As some of you may already know . My sailing knowledge is extremely limited. So I thank you guys for posting info like this.
Im going to buy a sail boat to start having my holidays on it and to obvously sail it on the weekends as much as possible. Im hoping to start a sailing life in a few years after that. The one thing that is always in the back of my mind is sailing in foul weather, and the horrible things that could happen when things go very wrong. But then I think that I could purchase a huge motor coach conversion , take some holidays down south and get wiped off the road by some speed junkie long haul truck driver. I think i would rather be sailing. Thanks for all the tips.
Welcome to CF
I now only have a Jon boat and a Gheenoe so may not qualify to say anything about this subject, but.......

Sailing is pretty safe over all.
Being in a position to need a sea anchor for self (and boat) preservation is pretty slim.
Buying a behemoth of a motor home and hopping on the highway amidst professional drivers might actually raise their safety risk.
Old 28-02-2013, 20:13   #60

Boat: Nantucket 33
Some points to ponder regarding lights.

First off please don't just use an anchor light according to the col regs It is only for use when made fast to shore or ground. Plus it is a light that could most resemble a star.
As far as not having the right lights goes, well if you believe the col regs are there to help avoiding collisions then its your choice if you choose to follow them or not. Having said that most lights such as NUC and RAM towing etc under the col regs apply to vessels over 12m. But you can still use them if you choose.
Another thing about determining what lights you should use. Under the col regs all vessels are covered and all conditions. So under sea anchor you do fit into a category and its the responsibility of the skipper to best determine which category that is and act accordingly. It's not good enough to think its not covered in the col regs.
Be safe have a think and see what your comfortable with. We and others can live or die by our actions and consequences.

Just my opinion and may only be worth exactly what it cost

Cheers
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor