Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 14:10   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sailing the Caribbean
Boat: Switch 51
Posts: 1,498
Euro Model Gribs

Can anyone tell me how to download ECMWF model forecasts in grib format? The Euro model has proved more accurate than the GFS several times recently in my estimation. So I would like the ability to download them as easily as we can download GFS gribs.
Thanks
__________________

__________________
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:39   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sailing the Caribbean
Boat: Switch 51
Posts: 1,498
Re: Euro Model Gribs

No one, really? Not even you Europeans? I would have thought you would prefer this model.
__________________

__________________
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:16   #3
Registered User
 
Hydra's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lorient, Brittany, France
Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Posts: 1,229
Re: Euro Model Gribs

The ECMWF forecast data available to the public are described here: Public, WMO and ACMAD Datasets | ECMWF

I'm not sure that there are GRIB files.

Alain
__________________
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 23:34   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Aboard, presently in the Indian Ocean
Boat: Trisbal 36
Posts: 86
Re: Euro Model Gribs

Hi SVNeko,

Unfortunately, many if us do prefer that model. Or at least we like to have it as an alternative to GFS and NAVGEM. But, and that's a big but, it is not available to the public in GRIB format. We have to content ourselves with the very undetailed charts on the website :-(

That is likely why you have not had any response.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 00:41   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: Euro Model Gribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
Hi SVNeko,

Unfortunately, many if us do prefer that model. Or at least we like to have it as an alternative to GFS and NAVGEM. But, and that's a big but, it is not available to the public in GRIB format. We have to content ourselves with the very undetailed charts on the website :-(

That is likely why you have not had any response.
While it is true that grib files are NOT available from ECMWF you can get e.g. SLP and wind predictions for a modest 30 € / year from Weather Online
(see Pic)
Also, if you own an Ipad, for a modest yearly fee, Weather4D 2.0 provides hi-res (but HUGE) grib files from the French Meteo-France Arome model that uses ECMWF data as a starting point.
Same data is even free in grib form (HUGE download): see my recent post
Large .grb file that won't open in O...
that has generated a LOT of interest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	121472  
__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 04:54   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Aboard, presently in the Indian Ocean
Boat: Trisbal 36
Posts: 86
Re: Euro Model Gribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
While it is true that grib files are NOT available from ECMWF you can get e.g. SLP and wind predictions for a modest 30 Ä / year from Weather Online
(see Pic)

Can you clarify whether these 30Ä/year buy you access to the website and charts such as the one posted (interesting, but the charts on the ECMWF website provide approximately the same information) or if that buys you GRIB files and if so as a web download or as a mail subscription (way better for sailors at sea). Just out of curiosity, thanks !


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 05:02   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: Euro Model Gribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
Can you clarify whether these 30Ä/year buy you access to the website and charts such as the one posted (interesting, but the charts on the ECMWF website provide approximately the same information) or if that buys you GRIB files and if so as a web download or as a mail subscription (way better for sailors at sea). Just out of curiosity, thanks !


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No grib files, just access to the charts on their website...
__________________

__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
model, rib

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the main advantage of a 3000 euro 15hp engine over a 1500 euro one? patrickdiviacco Construction, Maintenance & Refit 23 14-08-2013 08:38
Want to beta test ocean currents gribs? Eric. Navigation 5 29-01-2013 19:33



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.