Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 23:56   #61
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: sailing south
Boat: Ericson 35-2
Posts: 313
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Guess what, inspired by all the UNCIVILIZED curmudgeonry on this thread, I've fixed my decorative aneroid tonight!

So, gonna have FOUR barometers onboard now:

* electronic weather station on the bulkhead, for displaying the pressure trend and the beer temperature,
* the brass one for the salty looks,
* and a barograph app on both my and wife's mobile devices

If that doesn't cover all the bases, dunno what else can. Thanks to everyone who contributed their valuable wisdom. You, people, are awesome.
__________________

__________________
RedHerring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 00:21   #62
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Guess what, inspired by all the UNCIVILIZED curmudgeonry on this thread, I've fixed my decorative aneroid tonight!

So, gonna have FOUR barometers onboard now:

* electronic weather station on the bulkhead, for displaying the pressure trend and the beer temperature,
* the brass one for the salty looks,
* and a barograph app on both my and wife's mobile devices

If that doesn't cover all the bases, dunno what else can. Thanks to everyone who contributed their valuable wisdom. You, people, are awesome.
:thumbup: now that sounds like a nice bit of redundancy there, just need an old war wound that aches when the pressure drops fast enough and you have all bases covered! Now what about that sextant? Have a good trip.
__________________

__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 01:34   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kent England
Boat: Caprice 19'
Posts: 76
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Dockhead and Uncivilised seem to need to get a life - I've not read any of it, but their lives must be empty
__________________
nockerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 03:05   #64
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,455
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockerwhite View Post
Dockhead and Uncivilised seem to need to get a life - I've not read any of it, but their lives must be empty
And having read NONE of it, you are in an excellent position to pass judgement on these folks...not.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:21   #65
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockerwhite View Post
Dockhead and Uncivilised seem to need to get a life - I've not read any of it, but their lives must be empty
Lets see...You wrote this at 8:34am. your time, so we can rule out alcohol. So maybe just bats#!t crazy.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:30   #66
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,954
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

One small point..... you can have a stinking gale with a steady glass if the low has stalled for any reason... a big blocking high in its way frinstance.

Back when I was a bit younger and working in the western Pacific / South China Sea area it was company policy to log the barometer every two hours. In the tropics the slightest variation from the steady diurnal changes can give very early warning of a developing typhoon. So yes.... a barometer is a useful tool in tropical waters .
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:41   #67
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockerwhite View Post
Dockhead and Uncivilised seem to need to get a life - I've not read any of it, but their lives must be empty
You didn't make any friends.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:45   #68
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Now that it has become part of the thread, let me tell you that I think y'all are a bunch of crazy dirt dwelling sons of *^&$%$#. Now, if that ain't enough to put this behind us and get a drink together then I don't know what else to do... well actually, I do: I'll pay the first round

On a more serious note: even though my IQ tests tell me I should be okay, I can't follow most of you all the time and that includes Dockhead. Uncivilized I get most of the time, others 50-50 etc. I have since discovered that much of this has to do with cultural backgrounds, different mother languages etc. I found it better to just laugh and let it go because the other one never seems to mean it the way I read it. Frak it, it's just the Internet.

It used to be different: I have been close to being banned because I could not stand incorrect info/advice being given on the forum when that became a trend. Then it got to the point that members started giving straight out death dangerous recommendations -on-purpose-. I was told by the mods to "let it go" because the forum is for everyone just to have some fun time, not anything serious about responsible seamanship etc. This had me quit the forum for a year or so and after being pulled back by some members, which may include Dockhead IIRC, I have changed my stance on these issues. If any of you want to kill yourself with a wire rope winch then go ahead and follow up that advice. It is up to the reader to be either smart enough to know who to take note of and who not. The important thing is that readers must understand that incorrect, even dangerous, info is not challenged here not because we think it's okay to follow it up, but because it isn't allowed without crazy political correctness.
See, I still get worked up now and then and it wasn't long ago I called BS on some info and was immediately attacked on that for not being nice enough.

Now in this thread when I write something like I use electronic logging every 5 seconds, how many do understand I am sarcastic for a bit because I also keep written record (as well as electronic)? Not many, but all I care is to bring an undiscussed option into the discussion so that it isn't overlooked and for the rest I don't care so much anymore what people on fora think about me... those who know me in real life know better so that's fine

Now, where do we meet for drinks? I am in Shelter Bay Marina @ the Panama Canal!
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:46   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 1,854
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Dockhead, Uncivilized, you are both people who I respect. That said I must add these comments.

Dock you are an attorney by trade and temperament. Your ability and perhaps necessity to build a case to win an argument is clear. You are good at it. Your willingness to hear the expressed feelings of another man is less clear. When you go about so completely destroying another person's position do you consider the likely outcome of winning your argument? Sometimes you win the argument and lose the friend. That would be a shame in this case.


S/V B'Shert
__________________
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:02   #70
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,363
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Barometers are cool and give good info, once you get used to what the info means. Having said that, once you leave and are offshore going down the west coat, there's really nothing you can do anyway. Going into a harbor for respite is not a short jaunt, more likely a full day or two to get in.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:16   #71
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Now that it has become part of the thread, let me tell you that I think y'all are a bunch of crazy dirt dwelling sons of *^&$%$#. Now, if that ain't enough to put this behind us and get a drink together then I don't know what else to do... well actually, I do: I'll pay the first round

On a more serious note: even though my IQ tests tell me I should be okay, I can't follow most of you all the time and that includes Dockhead. Uncivilized I get most of the time, others 50-50 etc. I have since discovered that much of this has to do with cultural backgrounds, different mother languages etc. I found it better to just laugh and let it go because the other one never seems to mean it the way I read it. Frak it, it's just the Internet.

It used to be different: I have been close to being banned because I could not stand incorrect info/advice being given on the forum when that became a trend. Then it got to the point that members started giving straight out death dangerous recommendations -on-purpose-. I was told by the mods to "let it go" because the forum is for everyone just to have some fun time, not anything serious about responsible seamanship etc. This had me quit the forum for a year or so and after being pulled back by some members, which may include Dockhead IIRC, I have changed my stance on these issues. If any of you want to kill yourself with a wire rope winch then go ahead and follow up that advice. It is up to the reader to be either smart enough to know who to take note of and who not. The important thing is that readers must understand that incorrect, even dangerous, info is not challenged here not because we think it's okay to follow it up, but because it isn't allowed without crazy political correctness.
See, I still get worked up now and then and it wasn't long ago I called BS on some info and was immediately attacked on that for not being nice enough.

Now in this thread when I write something like I use electronic logging every 5 seconds, how many do understand I am sarcastic for a bit because I also keep written record (as well as electronic)? Not many, but all I care is to bring an undiscussed option into the discussion so that it isn't overlooked and for the rest I don't care so much anymore what people on fora think about me... those who know me in real life know better so that's fine

Now, where do we meet for drinks? I am in Shelter Bay Marina @ the Panama Canal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Dockhead, Uncivilized, you are both people who I respect. That said I must add these comments.

Dock you are an attorney by trade and temperament. Your ability and perhaps necessity to build a case to win an argument is clear. You are good at it. Your willingness to hear the expressed feelings of another man is less clear. When you go about so completely destroying another person's position do you consider the likely outcome of winning your argument? Sometimes you win the argument and lose the friend. That would be a shame in this case.


S/V B'Shert
One wouldn't think barometers would provoke such responses.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:22   #72
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
One wouldn't think barometers would provoke such responses.
Really? Wow! both responses were directed posts that had little to do with barometers. Did you miss those? I think both posts were an attempt to help and don't think they deserve to be face palmed by you.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:24   #73
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

Use the force...it's just a thread.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:28   #74
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: new orleans
Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
Posts: 88
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

While on this subject, has anyone used the Davis weather station on board? I am speaking of the Vantage Vue.
__________________
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:11   #75
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,954
Re: Do I really need a barometer? Which one?

A little something re the use of baros in the tropics... from the book Meteorology for Mariners published by HMSO.

' In tropical regions irregular changes are usually much smaller than the diurnal change from which they cannot be distinguished until the diurnal change has been subtracted. The procedure is important in tropical regions because a fall of pressure 2 or 3 mb below the value appropriate for the locality , after allowing for the regular diurnal change of pressure, may be the first indication of the approach of a tropical revolving storm.'

Use that info in conjunction with Buys Ballot's Law as modified over the years and you are good to go.

Relying on shoreside forecasting? Not for me

Weather forecast and storm track data used by El Faro was outdated - Splash 247
__________________

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSB radios - which one to get as a cheap starter one? alctel Marine Electronics 56 20-11-2015 17:38
Too good to be true? Really, really cheap BlueCharts skipmac Navigation 2 22-12-2014 20:09
A tablet to replace it ALL: how, which one, which apps? decca Navigation 187 08-05-2013 22:19
Some Ads Are Really Really Slow . . . Catamount Forum Tech Support & Site Help 3 15-01-2011 11:05
Hand GPS Which one ist the right one? Caroline Marine Electronics 10 28-04-2005 00:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.