Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 03:38   #31

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Bizarre Weather Phenomenon

Dockhead

I had this happen to once a couple of years ago. Never did figure out exactly why. Scared the crap out me too, although I was not in a narrow channel athe time (straits between denmark and sweden). One nearby boat had its mainsail blown out - kevlar sail.

How do you like sailing the Baltic so far?

You mentioned inthe past that everyone says sailing the Baltic is better than sailing the Med. I'd be really interested in hearing your opinion at the end of the summer when you head back.

Drop by me in copenhagen for a cuppa or a glas - we usually have something drinkable around

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 11:03   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Dockhead

I had this happen to once a couple of years ago. Never did figure out exactly why. Scared the crap out me too, although I was not in a narrow channel athe time (straits between denmark and sweden). One nearby boat had its mainsail blown out - kevlar sail.

How do you like sailing the Baltic so far?

You mentioned inthe past that everyone says sailing the Baltic is better than sailing the Med. I'd be really interested in hearing your opinion at the end of the summer when you head back.

Drop by me in copenhagen for a cuppa or a glas - we usually have something drinkable around

I can't say that I really know the Baltic yet -- most of my time here so far spent at sea.

But absolutely nothing I have seen so far contradicts what my friend said! Everything I have seen so far is gorgeous, magical. The Baltic is really vast and much less crowded than the Med (by orders of magnitude). The ports are unspoiled and gorgeous (and incredibly cheap -- I've paid as little as 13 euros for a 54' boat -- including electricity). I really love the absence of ocean swell -- the water is much flatter for any given wind strength, which makes sailing much more comfortable.

So -- too early for a final conclusion, but I am absolutely loving it so far. I think the best place I've ever sailed. I already assume I will spend next summer here, too, and already know how to plan it better.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 11:54   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I can't say that I really know the Baltic yet -- most of my time here so far spent at sea.

But absolutely nothing I have seen so far contradicts what my friend said! Everything I have seen so far is gorgeous, magical. The Baltic is really vast and much less crowded than the Med (by orders of magnitude). The ports are unspoiled and gorgeous (and incredibly cheap -- I've paid as little as 13 euros for a 54' boat -- including electricity). I really love the absence of ocean swell -- the water is much flatter for any given wind strength, which makes sailing much more comfortable.

So -- too early for a final conclusion, but I am absolutely loving it so far. I think the best place I've ever sailed. I already assume I will spend next summer here, too, and already know how to plan it better.
Would it be possible for you to post your route on a map so we can see where you went?
I love following in the wake of travelers...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 13:51   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Would it be possible for you to post your route on a map so we can see where you went?
I love following in the wake of travelers...
Hamble overnight to Dunkerque (France) 155 miles
Dunkerque-Oostende (Belgium)
Oostende-Zeebrugge
Zeebrugge-Ijmunde (Netherlands) 100-odd miles
Ijmunde-Den Helder
Den Helder - Borkum (Germany) 100-odd miles
Borkum - Norderney
Norderney--Helgoland
Helgoland -- Cuxhaven
Cuxhaven -- somewhere in the middle of the Kiel Canal
Somewhere in the middle of the Kiel Canal -- Kiel
Kiel -- Gedser (Denmark)
Gedser -- Trelleborg (Southern coast of Sweden)
Trelleborg -- Ystad
Ystad overnight to Kalmar (Eastern coast of Sweden) 150-odd miles
Kalmar -- Vaestervik

That's it so far. Tomorrow we plan to make another 60 miles northing in order to get some angle on the wind to cross over to Estonia on Thursday-Friday overnight.

We are fighting our way towards Finland against strong NE winds. God willing (please, Lord, give us a bit more West in the wind) we will be in Helsinki on Saturday.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, weather