Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 04:38   #31
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,941
Images: 1
Re: Bizarre Weather Phenomenon

Dockhead

I had this happen to once a couple of years ago. Never did figure out exactly why. Scared the crap out me too, although I was not in a narrow channel athe time (straits between denmark and sweden). One nearby boat had its mainsail blown out - kevlar sail.

How do you like sailing the Baltic so far?

You mentioned inthe past that everyone says sailing the Baltic is better than sailing the Med. I'd be really interested in hearing your opinion at the end of the summer when you head back.

Drop by me in copenhagen for a cuppa or a glas - we usually have something drinkable around
__________________

__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 12:03   #32
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,751
Re: Bizarre Weather Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Dockhead

I had this happen to once a couple of years ago. Never did figure out exactly why. Scared the crap out me too, although I was not in a narrow channel athe time (straits between denmark and sweden). One nearby boat had its mainsail blown out - kevlar sail.

How do you like sailing the Baltic so far?

You mentioned inthe past that everyone says sailing the Baltic is better than sailing the Med. I'd be really interested in hearing your opinion at the end of the summer when you head back.

Drop by me in copenhagen for a cuppa or a glas - we usually have something drinkable around

I can't say that I really know the Baltic yet -- most of my time here so far spent at sea.

But absolutely nothing I have seen so far contradicts what my friend said! Everything I have seen so far is gorgeous, magical. The Baltic is really vast and much less crowded than the Med (by orders of magnitude). The ports are unspoiled and gorgeous (and incredibly cheap -- I've paid as little as 13 euros for a 54' boat -- including electricity). I really love the absence of ocean swell -- the water is much flatter for any given wind strength, which makes sailing much more comfortable.

So -- too early for a final conclusion, but I am absolutely loving it so far. I think the best place I've ever sailed. I already assume I will spend next summer here, too, and already know how to plan it better.
__________________

__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 12:54   #33
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Bizarre Weather Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I can't say that I really know the Baltic yet -- most of my time here so far spent at sea.

But absolutely nothing I have seen so far contradicts what my friend said! Everything I have seen so far is gorgeous, magical. The Baltic is really vast and much less crowded than the Med (by orders of magnitude). The ports are unspoiled and gorgeous (and incredibly cheap -- I've paid as little as 13 euros for a 54' boat -- including electricity). I really love the absence of ocean swell -- the water is much flatter for any given wind strength, which makes sailing much more comfortable.

So -- too early for a final conclusion, but I am absolutely loving it so far. I think the best place I've ever sailed. I already assume I will spend next summer here, too, and already know how to plan it better.
Would it be possible for you to post your route on a map so we can see where you went?
I love following in the wake of travelers...
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 14:51   #34
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,751
Re: Bizarre Weather Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Would it be possible for you to post your route on a map so we can see where you went?
I love following in the wake of travelers...
Hamble overnight to Dunkerque (France) 155 miles
Dunkerque-Oostende (Belgium)
Oostende-Zeebrugge
Zeebrugge-Ijmunde (Netherlands) 100-odd miles
Ijmunde-Den Helder
Den Helder - Borkum (Germany) 100-odd miles
Borkum - Norderney
Norderney--Helgoland
Helgoland -- Cuxhaven
Cuxhaven -- somewhere in the middle of the Kiel Canal
Somewhere in the middle of the Kiel Canal -- Kiel
Kiel -- Gedser (Denmark)
Gedser -- Trelleborg (Southern coast of Sweden)
Trelleborg -- Ystad
Ystad overnight to Kalmar (Eastern coast of Sweden) 150-odd miles
Kalmar -- Vaestervik

That's it so far. Tomorrow we plan to make another 60 miles northing in order to get some angle on the wind to cross over to Estonia on Thursday-Friday overnight.

We are fighting our way towards Finland against strong NE winds. God willing (please, Lord, give us a bit more West in the wind) we will be in Helsinki on Saturday.
__________________

__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men, weather

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bizarre FrigoBoat Behaviour ! s/v Jedi Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 35 26-10-2012 18:50
Bizarre Sounds In the Night ahnutts! Off Topic Forum 3 29-08-2011 07:28
Bizarre calcification issue on props and shafts aquabumdotnet Propellers & Drive Systems 9 18-07-2008 09:12



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.