Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 05:46   #121

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Vesper Marine AIS

Jeff, a little off-topic but I am having trouble with a new B&G Zeus2 interface with an Icom 506 VHF. Trying to get the Zeus2 to log a DSC call to the VHF. I can touch the target on the Zeus2 screen, it pulls up all of the ship details, and a call button on the menu should allow placing a direct DSC call. Apparently this works ok with their own VHF, but not the Icom.

Of course, I don't expect you to know how to fix that system. But I seem to recall reading on Panbo that you were able to do that with a Vesper 850 Watchmate and the same Icom. I am using an XB8000, and it gets AIS info to both the Icom and the B&G. So that is all good. But can you tell me how you were able to do the direct-calling with the Watchmate? Over NMEA0183 or NMEA2000? I am currently all networked using N2K.

Finally, not to beat it to death, but I currently understand that as for N2K, there are PGN's transmitted and received. The PGN to trigger a DSC call is either 129808 or 129799, I think. The Icom 506 manual says that it can transmit these PGN's, but not receive. That's why I am interested in knowing how Vesper has worked thru this issue and can trigger a DSC call thru Icom M506 via their Watchmate touch screen. Or maybe I am just dreaming that can be done?

I am talking to both B&G and Icom on this matter, but as you can expect, there is a bit of "it's the other guy" response. That said, B&G assured me - in writing - that the Icom would interface before I purchased their plotter, so they probably have more responsibility to come up with a solution.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 15:05   #122
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Jeff, a little off-topic but I am having trouble with a new B&G Zeus2 interface with an Icom 506 VHF. Trying to get the Zeus2 to log a DSC call to the VHF. I can touch the target on the Zeus2 screen, it pulls up all of the ship details, and a call button on the menu should allow placing a direct DSC call. Apparently this works ok with their own VHF, but not the Icom.

Of course, I don't expect you to know how to fix that system. But I seem to recall reading on Panbo that you were able to do that with a Vesper 850 Watchmate and the same Icom. I am using an XB8000, and it gets AIS info to both the Icom and the B&G. So that is all good. But can you tell me how you were able to do the direct-calling with the Watchmate? Over NMEA0183 or NMEA2000? I am currently all networked using N2K.

Finally, not to beat it to death, but I currently understand that as for N2K, there are PGN's transmitted and received. The PGN to trigger a DSC call is either 129808 or 129799, I think. The Icom 506 manual says that it can transmit these PGN's, but not receive. That's why I am interested in knowing how Vesper has worked thru this issue and can trigger a DSC call thru Icom M506 via their Watchmate touch screen. Or maybe I am just dreaming that can be done?

I am talking to both B&G and Icom on this matter, but as you can expect, there is a bit of "it's the other guy" response. That said, B&G assured me - in writing - that the Icom would interface before I purchased their plotter, so they probably have more responsibility to come up with a solution.
We use 0183 sentences. As far as I know Icom doesn't have a N2K interface for it. If someone knows otherwise, then let me know. The 850 has had the ability to initiate a DSC call for a long time and we recently added an API for this to XB-8000 and Vision (Vision will also get a U/I screen for this soon). This allows apps over WiFi to initiate DSC calls too. The first app that I know of to take advantage of it is NavPlay.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 15:18   #123

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
We use 0183 sentences. As far as I know Icom doesn't have a N2K interface for it. If someone knows otherwise, then let me know. The 850 has had the ability to initiate a DSC call for a long time and we recently added an API for this to XB-8000 and Vision (Vision will also get a U/I screen for this soon). This allows apps over WiFi to initiate DSC calls too. The first app that I know of to take advantage of it is NavPlay.
So what triggers the XB-8000 to make the call? I am not planning to run NavPlay, or use WiFi, or have a computer or phone app running. I want to keep this simple: MFD, VHF, AIS, GPS. Is there a way for the XB-8000 to get a N2K PGN for a call from the Zeus2, and convert it to a 0183 sentence to trigger the Icom call?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 15:44   #124
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
So what triggers the XB-8000 to make the call? I am not planning to run NavPlay, or use WiFi, or have a computer or phone app running. I want to keep this simple: MFD, VHF, AIS, GPS. Is there a way for the XB-8000 to get a N2K PGN for a call from the Zeus2, and convert it to a 0183 sentence to trigger the Icom call?
It is designed for 0183 interfaces and is triggered by an abstract command coming in over any of its serial inputs. It then generates Icom-specific 0183 output sentences. This was done so we it could support different 0183 mechanisms for various radios if that was needed in the future. It doesn't do anything with N2K as it's primarily intended to allow apps to initiate individual station calls.

PGN 129808 is probably the right one but I'm not sure which MFDs generate it and which radios support it. If the MFD emits it but the radio doesn't support it then at the present time it won't work. I'm also not sure if the Icom-specific 0183 sentences are capable of supporting a PGN 129808 translation. It's something I haven't looked into.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:05   #125

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
And yes we're still going to be doing the 0183->N2K conversions for navigation stuff like waypoints, routes and A/P control. We've just got a lot on our plate right at the moment but we're very keen to have it. Thanks for your patience!
Hi Jeff,

8 months later I'm wondering if you are still working on this ?
Any Idea if or when it might be implemented ?
I'd like to have a solution that gets navigation data from my ships computer onto my N2K bus by next spring and I hope my XB8000 will be able to do it.

Also wondering if you are thinking of adding SignalK to your products ?

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:10   #126

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

Hi Jeff,

I emailed support at the beginning of this summer. We had a problem where the Vesper would stop sending instrument data to our apps. Your engineer said it should be corrected in an upcoming release. Just wondering how that is coming along.

Also, Signal-K support would be great. I know it's a lot to ask at the moment.

Cheers,
Joe
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 22:10   #127
Marine Service Provider

Hi Joe, I'm not sure of the specifics of that problem but as far as I know all open issues with respect to acquiring and sending instrument data to apps were resolved since then. So it's possible you just need to update. Please flick a note to support@vespermarine.com if that's not the case for you.

JM: We're finishing up a big update for Vision now. It has loads of U/I enhancements and new features. Our next focus is on including more N2K support in XB-8000. Our priority for that is on more N2K translations to WiFi and data going back the other way, particularly for navigation and A/P control.

Yes, Signal K is something we're interested in and it's indeed on our roadmap.
Old 29-03-2016, 07:29   #128

Boat: Hunter 326

I use Android tablet WatchMate with XB8000. Lately i got no COG and HDG display. I see other craft on the radar plot but unable to see myself and the "N" button is just a red rectangle i.s.o. "N" or bearing.
Is something wrong with my XB8000?
trantor12020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 11:34   #129
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020 View Post
I use Android tablet WatchMate with XB8000. Lately i got no COG and HDG display. I see other craft on the radar plot but unable to see myself and the "N" button is just a red rectangle i.s.o. "N" or bearing.
Is something wrong with my XB8000?
Thanks for this info. We've been looking into it and it appears to be a bug in the new Android version of the app which only happens in a few locations. Doesn't happen with the Apple app. We're working on a fix to the Android app.
Old 30-03-2016, 12:22   #130

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
...Our next focus is on including more N2K support in XB-8000. Our priority for that is on more N2K translations to WiFi and data going back the other way, particularly for navigation and A/P control.
I just noticed this, thanks Jeff! More N2K translations would be great, and I'm working on installing an A/P now.

Any estimate on the timeframe for the next version with these enhancements?
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 23:32   #131
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Any estimate on the timeframe for the next version with these enhancements?
I always seem to get myself in trouble or embarrass myself when I do that

Seriously... we're keen to do it soon. So stay tuned...
Old 06-04-2016, 06:07   #132

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
I always seem to get myself in trouble or embarrass myself when I do that

Seriously... we're keen to do it soon. So stay tuned...
Not meaning to cause trouble, or embarrass, just keen to see a great product developed to its full potential.

Cheers,
JM.

Waiting patiently.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 20:13   #133

Quote:
Thanks for this info. We've been looking into it and it appears to be a bug in the new Android version of the app which only happens in a few locations. Doesn't happen with the Apple app. We're working on a fix to the Android app.
Jeff, any indicative date when this Android bug will be fixed?
I'm not a fan of Apple.
Old 22-04-2016, 07:32   #134
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Not sure if this is the right place to write this but it's the only place I know

I just ordered a XB8000 and am wondering when it gets an Ethernet interface so that it can be hardwired to the boat Ethernet network instead of doing it wireless. The only difference would be that the XB8000 becomes a wired client instead of wifi client in the network. I first thought the 6000 would get it

I'm also adding an Actisense NGW-1 to my Furuno NN3D in an attempt to eliminate more 0183 wiringand still get AIS to it
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 02:39   #135

Jeff, funny thing happen. I got 6 on vswr when i connect XB8000 to mast top antenna via the SP160 splitter. Thinking my mast antenna cable is bad, I set up a antenna on bimini frame and connect XB8000 to it. It shows VSWR of 1 green. Now thats awesome. I then bypass the splitter and connect XB8000 directly to mast top antenna. Surprise surprise I got vswr of 1. So connecting via SP160 splitter give vswr of 6. Why is that? Something wrong with the splitter?

Tags
marine, ais