Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2015, 11:59   #46

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Vesper Marine AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
Yes, there is currently an API. However, we are changing and extending it a lot in the next release so we haven't made it available to others yet. Stay tuned...

But adding additional PGN<-->0183 conversions requires firmware updates within the units and isn't something that endusers would be doing via API.

I'm very interested to learn more about what's missing to make this happen.
Is the API you mention to control the transponder or to allow access to NMEA2000 data ?

I think it is the latter that would most interesting. Adding new translations from 0183<->2000 is great, but there will always be new ones.

There was a recent thread about a new product from ShipModul that proposes an interface to NMEA2000:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...pn-139401.html

I think it might be possible to work out something with some of the developers at OpenCPN that would be a lot better than that proposal, more standards based. Perhaps, for instance an implementation like SocketCAN.

Or, just wait (and wait, and wait, and wait....) for NMEA OneNet.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 20:39   #47

Boat: Hunter 326

This is what I plan to do. If it sounds stupid please say so. I'm a big boy. I can take it. Just make sure you don't anchor near me

Oh Jeffrobbins, we spoke on FB and email. I find this CF thread very informative.

I've Raymarine Depth, Speed, Wind and Autopilot. All connected via SeaTalk to the SPX-5 AP Course Computer. I've Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF+AIS(receive only)+GPS 12XL. I intend to acquire the XB8000 and connects all these together. Use an Android Tablet with Navionics for charting and WatchMate for AIS. Stereo/FM for entertainment.

Raymarine Instruments NMEA0183 OUT--> NMEA0183 IN XB8000
(or should I use SeaTalk NG --> N2K XB8000 ?)
SH GX2150VHF NMEA0183 IN <--NMEA OUT XB8000
VHF+XB8000+Stereo/FM connect to SP160 Splitter with VA159 Antenna
I'll get rid of the Garmin 12XL GPS and use XB8000 gps signal for the GX2150 (secondary AIS receiver).
The Android Tablet will be my MFD running two programs, the Navionics Chart and WatchMate. I suppose the WatchMate, beside displaying AIS info, will also show Depth, Speed, Wind from the Raymarine.

Will this setup work? Does it make sense putting all my eggs in one basket?

Ken
PS: if there's option to connect my microwave to XB8000, I might give it a try
trantor12020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 21:12   #48

Is the VA-159 the correct antenna to use for both AIS and VHF ? I got this model from a local dealer in SG but could find mention of VA-159 on Vesper Marine website.

Ken
Old 29-01-2015, 22:11   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020 View Post
Is the VA-159 the correct antenna to use for both AIS and VHF ? I got this model from a local dealer in SG but could find mention of VA-159 on Vesper Marine website.

Ken
I could NOT find mention of "VA-159" on Vesper Marine website.
Old 30-01-2015, 07:50   #50

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

Quote:
I'm very interested to learn more about what's missing to make this happen.
Hi Jeff,
I wasn't sure how many PGNs the XB converted. I'm still evaluating it but if it is feasible than there is nothing stopping me from doing except my son deciding he wants to game on the laptop, right now.

And a small recommendation. Could you please include the recommended fuse holder in future XBs. Its a bit grating to stop an installation to go hunting for a fuseholder on a device that should already have one. Our local chandlery doesn't stock fuse holders based on the assumption that it should be wired in already. Fuses, they have plenty of. Luckily, I was able to pull a holder from our old Navtex wiring.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 09:56   #51

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie View Post
Hi Jeff,
I wasn't sure how many PGNs the XB converted. I'm still evaluating it but if it is feasible than there is nothing stopping me from doing except my son deciding he wants to game on the laptop, right now.

And a small recommendation. Could you please include the recommended fuse holder in future XBs. Its a bit grating to stop an installation to go hunting for a fuseholder on a device that should already have one. Our local chandlery doesn't stock fuse holders based on the assumption that it should be wired in already. Fuses, they have plenty of. Luckily, I was able to pull a holder from our old Navtex wiring.
I understand your comment on needing a fuse holder to accompany the units. But Vesper, if you do so, please do not pre-install it on the power pit tails (if you have them). One of my biggest pet peeves is having sub par fuse holders that are on the pigtails. The first issue is that I now may have a fuse type that I don't want (e.g. barrel) and the other issue is that I now have to go hunt for the inline fuse if there is a problem. I like to wire my own fuses, usually with a fuse block for several devices, all with the same type of fuse (I like the automotive style blade fuses) and I like to put them in a tidy place that is easily accessible without removing equipment to find a pigtail.

Thanks
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 11:27   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Raymarine Instruments NMEA0183 OUT--> NMEA0183 IN XB8000
(or should I use SeaTalk NG --> N2K XB8000 ?)
SH GX2150VHF NMEA0183 IN <--NMEA OUT XB8000
VHF+XB8000+Stereo/FM connect to SP160 Splitter with VA159 Antenna
Yes, this will work fine and put all your instrument data out over WiFi to the tablet.

Quote:
I'll get rid of the Garmin 12XL GPS and use XB8000 gps signal for the GX2150 (secondary AIS receiver).
This will also work, but keep in mind your AIS receiver will be receiving your own position report so will display your boat following along just behind you.

Quote:
The Android Tablet will be my MFD running two programs, the Navionics Chart and WatchMate.
As far as I know, Navionics apps don't accept any external data feeds. You'll need to use a different charting app to feed it AIS, GPS & instrument data.

Quote:
I suppose the WatchMate, beside displaying AIS info, will also show Depth, Speed, Wind from the Raymarine.
Yes our Android app will do that.

Quote:
PS: if there's option to connect my microwave to XB8000, I might give it a try
Funny that you say that.... we actually use an old microwave here as a shielded test chamber for certain types of engineering testing. But we removed the magnetron so we don't accidentally "cook" the unit. Timer is handy.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 11:29   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I could NOT find mention of "VA-159" on Vesper Marine website.
VA159 & VA162 are the model numbers. Here are links:

Dedicated AIS tuned antenna
AIS antenna designed to be shared with VHF radios

If you are using our splitter, I recommend the shared antenna (VA159).
Old 30-01-2015, 11:33   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
But Vesper, if you do so, please do not pre-install it on the power pit tails (if you have them). One of my biggest pet peeves is having sub par fuse holders that are on the pigtails. The first issue is that I now may have a fuse type that I don't want (e.g. barrel) and the other issue is that I now have to go hunt for the inline fuse if there is a problem. I like to wire my own fuses, usually with a fuse block for several devices, all with the same type of fuse (I like the automotive style blade fuses) and I like to put them in a tidy place that is easily accessible without removing equipment to find a pigtail.

Thanks
That's exactly the logic for why we don't pre-install them or include them. We polled a bunch of customers and dealers on their preferences for this and concluded that whatever we did would be wrong. So we let the owner decide what's best.

BTW: The fuse recommendation isn't to protect the unit. The unit doesn't need any protection as it's done internally. Rather, the fuse is recommended to protect the power wires from overheating in the case of a short (eg. someone inadvertently drives a screw through the power cable after installation).
Old 30-01-2015, 12:07   #55

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Jeff - I already have my XB8000 but not yet installed - very impressed at what it hopefully will do. how much difference does your "tuned antenna" make compared with a std VHF antenna? Would be mounted on my solar panel/dingy davit/ wind gen mount.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 14:15   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
how much difference does your "tuned antenna" make compared with a std VHF antenna?
It depends on the VHF antenna. Most are tuned for channel 16 (156Mhz) and have 6Mhz bandwidth (+/- 3Mhz). This means that AIS (162MHz) is well outside their specifications. With some antennas this isn't a big deal because their VSWR at 162MHz is still low enough, but with others it may be very significant as they can have quite high VSWR at 162MHz.

My general recommendation is if you are buying a new antenna specifically for dedicated AIS use then I would choose an AIS-tuned antenna (one that is tuned for 162MHz). It will be optimal.

If you already have a VHF antenna then you can either look at the specs or give it a try and see. It won't be optimal but it might work well enough for you. If mounted lower on the boat that will also take away from it's performance but if you've already got it, why not give it a try.

Your XB-8000 has a VSWR meter that you can view from within our apps or PC/Mac software. It's a pretty good indicator of antenna system matching. If the VSWR is really bad, the XB-8000 will indicate this with the LED on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Would be mounted on my solar panel/dingy davit/ wind gen mount.
An important thing to consider when choosing the location is VHF antennas should have at least 4' of separation from other VHF antennas and parallel objects like masts, rigging, etc. Also keep them out of the beam path of a radar by mounting above the radar. If you need to have 2 VHF antennas close to one another, then mount them vertically separated - but of course on most boats that's probably hard to do.

One last point which is stating the obvious... the antenna system is a critical part. You can buy the best AIS but if you use a poor antenna, cables, connectors with it then the results will only be as good as the weakest component. So don't skimp on this part. For this reason I recommend against using short helicals (eg. emergency or dinghy antennas) and most combo antennas. A high quality antenna system makes a big difference.
Old 30-01-2015, 17:06   #57

Quote:
VA159 & VA162 are the model numbers. Here are links:

Dedicated AIS tuned antenna
AIS antenna designed to be shared with VHF radios

If you are using our splitter, I recommend the shared antenna (VA159).
Jeff, thanks for info. Yes I'll be using your splitter SP160.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:37   #58

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased to announce we are now a Vesper Marine Dealer.

The reason I wanted this agency is because of their latest product (and upgrades), the XB8000. It's primarily an AIS class B Transponder, but also a Wifi access point, and a multiplexer (I'll explain that below)

I'd be happy to talk to anyone interested.

Cheers
Matt
Neptune's Gear Ltd
Neptune's Gear Ltd, Marine Equipment for Cruisers, Worldwide delivery
Matt--

I'm hoping you can help us with something. Based upon our recommendation--made after quite a bit of research--friends of ours (s/v Ocean Angel) installed a Vesper during their hurricane season layover in Trini. They have just made their first post season passage and I received the following message from them from Carriacou this morning:

Quote:
I ran into one electronics glitch yet to be resolved; the [Vesper] AIS will lock up and shut down if I don't silence the alarm within a short period. It reboots to a blank screen. I can only get it working by flipping the breaker, waiting a minute or so, and powering back up. .... Since I'm using the AIS not only for ship avoidance, but also to drive our navigation program, I lose my Maxsea GPS information when the AIS quits.
Have you seen/heard of this situation before and, if so, are you aware of a fix?

Your help will be appreciated.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:07   #59

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Matt--

I'm hoping you can help us with something. Based upon our recommendation--made after quite a bit of research--friends of ours (s/v Ocean Angel) installed a Vesper during their hurricane season layover in Trini. They have just made their first post season passage and I received the following message from them from Carriacou this morning:

Have you seen/heard of this situation before and, if so, are you aware of a fix?

Your help will be appreciated.

s/v HyLyte
You all probably have thought of this but it is better to setup your nav system without anything as a single point of failure. You didn't mention if your friend was using the wifi for the interconnection or whether it was hardwired. If it was wifi I would suggest running cable to at least one place where you can use a physical link. If he were relying on the Vesper for the GPS, a second GPS that could be hooked up would give some more peace of mind. Of course, you can't have two sets of GPS data flying around on the same cabling so you would have to disconnect or shut off the one you didn't want to use. Just something to consider as we all grow to depend on our electronic systems for navigation.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:23   #60

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Of course, you can't have two sets of GPS data flying around on the same cabling so you would have to disconnect or shut off the one you didn't want to use. Just something to consider as we all grow to depend on our electronic systems for navigation.
Sure you can. You can have many, many of them. We have several GPS's connected to our NMEA network with no problem at all.

The instrument used to display the data selects the individual GPS data source to use. The other ones are then ignored, but they continue to put their data on the network.

If this wasn't true, then your advice to get a second GPS couldn't be followed because one cannot remove or turn off the GPS on the AIS.

The same is true for any other sensors, receivers, etc.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, ais