Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2014, 14:20   #1

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
SilentWind Gens Spec Update

Update;
SilentWind gens now come with a new controller, the Hybrid 1000. It ups the max power of the Solar Panel connection to 550w or 40a. Also updated is the startup speed, further reduced to under 5 knots!

Remember that the controller for these units incorporates an ammeter and voltmeter, individually readable for Solar and Wind generation, and a circuit breaker is provided. These are extras on other brands..

These are the best Wind Gens available IMO, High power output, low noise, low startup speed, and include a regulator for your solar panels.

Our is now updated with the new specs HERE
Youtube video of the generator working You'll note how quiet it is!

Thanks
Matt
Old 17-01-2014, 15:30   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: SilentWind Gens Spec Update

Damn ... I bought our SilentWind about 1.5 years ago. The controller we have maxes out at 180 watts of solar I think, which is OK for now, but I have been planning to install more panels, so was looking at a separate controller.

Can we swap out the new controller in place of our old one? We have a 12v 400 watt generator. Do you sell just the controllers?

BTW, I love the generator. Produces power as advertised, and while not completely silent, is pretty darn quiet. No complaints from me, or from anyone who we have shared an anchorage with.
Old 17-01-2014, 18:05   #3

Hi Mike, I can't see why not, but I'll just check with SilentWind and get back to you. Yep, we sell all the parts etc, so no prob there.
Cheers
Matt
Old 18-01-2014, 05:52   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Where is the wind unit made?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 20:04   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Hello?....hmmm.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 20:38   #6

Sorry about the delay. Made in Portugal, Portuguese company with German Management.

I'm waiting for a response from them re MPPT...

Cheers
Matt
Old 20-01-2014, 12:30   #7

Here is SilientWind's response;

The new model (Hybrid 1000) presents some new features:

• Modified electronic braking system with Pulse Wide Modulation new feature
• Increased solar power capacity (up to 600W/40A) instead of 10A
• Increased wind power capacity (up to 600W/40A) instead of 30A
• Possibility of disconnecting batteries while operating new feature
• User output with 15A instead of 10A

We are developing a MPPT controller but it will take time to reach the market.

So , as we thought, Not MPPT yet...
Matt
Old 20-01-2014, 12:50   #8

Am I able to swap out the new controller in place of their old one? I have their wind generator, and like it very much. I have 100 watts of solar installed, but will likely be expanding that this season. Would be nice to have the added capacity while still sticking with the one controller.

If you can do this Matt, can you PM me on the price for just the new controller.
Old 22-01-2014, 13:39   #9

Hi Mike, yes, the controller is a straight swap. Sent you a PM
Cheers
Matt
Old 17-09-2018, 05:47   #10

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Matt, not a good link

Quote:
Our is now updated with the new specs HERE
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 16:49   #11

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Damn ... I bought our SilentWind about 1.5 years ago. The controller we have maxes out at 180 watts of solar I think, which is OK for now, but I have been planning to install more panels, so was looking at a separate controller.

Can we swap out the new controller in place of our old one? We have a 12v 400 watt generator. Do you sell just the controllers?

BTW, I love the generator. Produces power as advertised, and while not completely silent, is pretty darn quiet. No complaints from me, or from anyone who we have shared an anchorage with.
Mike, in real world usage do you know how much current you produce from wind per average day?
Old 17-09-2018, 17:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Mike, in real world usage do you know how much current you produce from wind per average day?
You know … I’ve never actually looked at the numbers. My controller does measure and monitor the cumulative watts produced. I just haven’t paid enough attention to answer you with any precision.

Here’s my best current view of my windmill (which is actually whirring away right now, at 21:48, producing a small but steady charge to my batteries). I have 400 watts of solar, along with this theoretical 400 watt wind generator. I believe my solar panels provide about 80% of my electrical needs. The wind gen does the remaining 20%. But the real benefit of the wind gen is that it often operates when solar is poor; at night, or when the storm clouds are in. So while I think it’s an overall smallish contributor, at times it is a critical competent.

Here’s my recent real world situation. I just spent nearly 8 weeks at the same anchor. Zero charging from my main diesel (alternator wasn’t working). I was able to maintain my 320 amp-hr bank with solar and wind almost all that time. I used my portable 1000 watt gasoline generator 4 times over those 8 weeks for a total of maybe 10 hours. Wind was critical during those days when we were heavy overcast, weathering various gales.

My view is that you should maximize your solar first. Only after that, if you still have need for more amps, I would consider a wind gen. But sometimes the wind gen really makes a huge difference. I’m happy we have both.
Old 17-09-2018, 18:09   #13

Quote:
You know … I’ve never actually looked at the numbers. My controller does measure and monitor the cumulative watts produced. I just haven’t paid enough attention to answer you with any precision.

Here’s my best current view of my windmill (which is actually whirring away right now, at 21:48, producing a small but steady charge to my batteries). I have 400 watts of solar, along with this theoretical 400 watt wind generator. I believe my solar panels provide about 80% of my electrical needs. The wind gen does the remaining 20%. But the real benefit of the wind gen is that it often operates when solar is poor; at night, or when the storm clouds are in. So while I think it’s an overall smallish contributor, at times it is a critical competent.

Here’s my recent real world situation. I just spent nearly 8 weeks at the same anchor. Zero charging from my main diesel (alternator wasn’t working). I was able to maintain my 320 amp-hr bank with solar and wind almost all that time. I used my portable 1000 watt gasoline generator 4 times over those 8 weeks for a total of maybe 10 hours. Wind was critical during those days when we were heavy overcast, weathering various gales.

My view is that you should maximize your solar first. Only after that, if you still have need for more amps, I would consider a wind gen. But sometimes the wind gen really makes a huge difference. I’m happy we have both.
Thanks Mike. I'm not nuts about having the number of solar panels required to make much of a difference for us, but I appreciate how well thought out your system is. If you had to guess, how many Ah does wind make available to you?
Old 18-09-2018, 04:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Thanks Mike. I'm not nuts about having the number of solar panels required to make much of a difference for us, but I appreciate how well thought out your system is. If you had to guess, how many Ah does wind make available to you?
The thing is, unlike solar which is fairly regular and easier to measure, wind is highly irregular. A lot of days I get very little from wind. A few days it’s a tsunami of power. Its very dependent on locality.

And that’s another thing to consider; wind is basically a bulk charger. At least in my case, my regulator is either on or off, depending on the battery’s voltage. So it doesn’t manage a 3-stage charge like my solar MPPT does.

We use around 100 to 120 amp-hrs per day (mostly for the fridge … gotta keep that beer cold ). So I’d estimate wind is producing about 20% of my need, so around 20 to 24 amp-hrs. But I stress, this is highly irregular. Some days it is the only source of charging amps, and often those days are overcast.

It’s a bit more complicated in my case b/c my batteries are usually topped up by noon to 1 pm during our summer cruising season. So much of the power I produce from wind and solar goes unused. If the batteries needed more, they’d get it from both my solar and wind. So my wind gen is producing more than that — I just don’t use it.

Not sure if any of this is helpful.
Old 18-09-2018, 07:14   #15

Quote:
The thing is, unlike solar which is fairly regular and easier to measure, wind is highly irregular. A lot of days I get very little from wind. A few days it’s a tsunami of power. Its very dependent on locality.

And that’s another thing to consider; wind is basically a bulk charger. At least in my case, my regulator is either on or off, depending on the battery’s voltage. So it doesn’t manage a 3-stage charge like my solar MPPT does.

We use around 100 to 120 amp-hrs per day (mostly for the fridge … gotta keep that beer cold ). So I’d estimate wind is producing about 20% of my need, so around 20 to 24 amp-hrs. But I stress, this is highly irregular. Some days it is the only source of charging amps, and often those days are overcast.

It’s a bit more complicated in my case b/c my batteries are usually topped up by noon to 1 pm during our summer cruising season. So much of the power I produce from wind and solar goes unused. If the batteries needed more, they’d get it from both my solar and wind. So my wind gen is producing more than that — I just don’t use it.

Not sure if any of this is helpful.
It does, thank you. Just to be clear though, on those overcast days when solar isn't putting out much, are you saying to might get 100 Ah? That would be material for me....
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind