Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 20:44   #1
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

Rebelle (44 foot Lagoon) joins Sea Mercy!

We are very pleased to announce that Xavier and Amanda Z., the owners of the 44 foot Lagoon catamaran Rebelle, decided to "sail with a greater purpose" and have joined Sea Mercy as a Dedicated Floating Health Care Clinic (FHCC) for Tonga and the island nations in the South Pacific. Rebelle will be relocating to Tonga from Tahiti in June and will begin operating as a FHCC starting in August of 2013. She will carry health care volunteers (doctors, nurses, dentists, etc.), local health ministry staff, and medical supplies to the remote islands that do not have the same health care available to the primary, more populated, islands on Tonga. Working on a 2 week rotation of volunteers between resupply stops, she is a valuable asset to the Tonga people and to Sea Mercy.

Rebelle, is Lagoons first Hybrid vessel (luxury Prius with sails) and economy and comfort will be a huge help in keeping operational costs low. She will be joining Dragonfly (a 65 foot catamaran scheduled to arrive in Tonga in June of 2014) and Sea Mercy's growing fleet of FHCC's for the South Pacific. For more information on Rebelle and her owners, visit this Sea Mercy website link. She will remain in Tonga until June 2014, then they plan to sail her to Fiji to begin FHCC operations for Sea Mercy there. Sea Mercy is in discussions with several other owners looking to participate in future FHCC programs.

Thanks again for all the advice and support here at Cruisersforum!

Richard Hackett
Sea Mercy
www.seamercy.org
Sea Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:19   #2

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Rebelle (44 foot Lagoon) joins Sea Mercy!

I spent 2 weeks working in the clinic in Raki-Raki on the North tip of the main Fijian Island about 10 years ago, and loved the people and the culture. We also stocked up on medical supplies from a mercy ship docked in Nadi, and at the time, I though serving on a medical ship must be about the greatest job on earth. I hope to retire in the next 6 years to go sailing, and I may just give your organization a call to see if my humble skills could be considered.
Cheers,
David
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:41   #3
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

David,

Thanks for your past support (10 years ago) and leading the charge out there in the South Pacific. We're happy to report that Fiji is our next targeted island nation partner to receive a Floating Health Care Clinics once the funding catches up with the number of vessels we have waiting and ready to go live. Sadly, Mercy Ships (the ones that helped you in Fiji) no longer serve the Pacific area, only the west coast of Africa (they are down to one vessel). So the instead more opportunities for help, the remote island nations are seeing less. Sea Mercy hopes to change that trend.

I hope the economy somehow blesses you in your ability to retire early so you can come and sail with us at Sea Mercy and finally start working "the greatest job on earth" (the one that you always wanted). :-)

Take care and thanks for the support and kind words.

Rich Hackett
Sea Mercy
www.seamercy.org
Old 27-02-2013, 21:25   #4
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

After reading my response, I wanted to clarify my remarks about Mercy Ships (it may have sounded a little discouraging)... They are an incredible organization and are doing amazing things in Africa for those in need. If you are able to support them financially, please do so.

Sea Mercy's approach is a lot of little ships (health clinics) reaching a lot of remote island areas with basic health care services, while Mercy Ships is an all inclusive vessel (hospital) providing high level care to the major ports of call (and population centers).

They strived to meet the needs in the South Pacific until 2001 when they decommissioned their aging vessel. Many people were treated and lives changed. Kudos to them!

Rich Hackett
Sea Mercy

Tags
lagoon