Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 21:51   #46

Boat: CL52
Ok, I forked over the 3 bucks to rent the movie. It was a good movie. It was about a boat but more importantly it was about a family and a man's obsession. There are a lot of similarities between this fellow's story and our own HR. I recommend you all see it. There is a fair review of it on the sail magazine website as well. Well done RF. Too bad you are too late to have filmed HR in sf bay.
Can you comment on interesting events that were not in the documentary? Why did the wife leave? Was there a lot of drama during filming that you didnt publish in tbe film? Did you conduct any interviews with him after the boat sank? Why did he abandon the vessel? Do you think be really had any intention of taking handicapped people out or was it a ruse to raise money? What happenned to the two fellows who were from the south and joined tbe crew? Why was he considered a pariah in his hometown?
Thanks for the film . Nice work.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 21:01   #47

Boat: Ericson 32-200
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Watched the documentary today. It was very well done and the story about how his sons, daughter and wife all pitched in and built this massive boat only to leave one by one is sad. It's truly worth watching. I downloaded it on the Sailing Channel.

I don't understand why McKay was treated so badly by harbor masters. He started out wanting to have a vessel that handicapped people could sail on. I was a little suspicious of his motive. Was that just a story he created so people would buy into his dream?

Just the first half of the movie is heartwarming enough to merit watching as it shows a close knit family working together. As the father of three grown sons, it struck a chord.
Rick
Old 13-10-2013, 17:34   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
But this guy wasn't trying to kill himself. It's more like God will take care of "us" even though I have never sailed and know little about boat construction. When is it ok to include innocent family members in a misguided dream?
I never got the impression he thought 'God would take care of us' from watching the film. ??
Old 13-10-2013, 17:41   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skabeeb View Post
I don't understand why McKay was treated so badly by harbor masters. He started out wanting to have a vessel that handicapped people could sail on. I was a little suspicious of his motive. Was that just a story he created so people would buy into his dream?

Rick
I suspect residents of all the harbors complained about his camping there and not having any funds to pay proper fees, plus the dnager that the boat would sink or be abandoned in their harbor must have crossed their minds.
I am not sure, but I think he used the handicapped thing to raise donations and crew. But realistically the boat would never be capable of that and at some point he must have realized it. And why go to Bermuda?
Old 16-10-2013, 15:07   #50

Thank you to those who have watched the film. For those who did, you will know that I tried to tell an honest story. I also wanted to share that RawFaith won BEST FEATURE FILM at the Newburyport Documentary Film Festival the end of September. It was very humbling because there were so many other really good films there. Whether or not you admire or dislike George or the ship, the story will get into your head and your heart. There is a lot more going on there than the oversimplified characterizations that many seem to still hold onto. Regards, Greg R.http://rawfaithmovie.com
rawfaithmovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:10   #51

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I've just rented the film and watched it. Great film to watch. Very scary looking ship. No motor at all which I struggle to see the wisdom. The doco maker has done a great job. No real action scenes on board, it's about the 'family' supporting their dad with his dream. Well worth the money to watch it.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:18   #52

Again, thank you to the folks who have taken the time to watch RawFaith. Most who have watched it found it a good watch- the comments from those who have watched it speak for themselves. I'm not going to get dragged into others rants about the man or the ship. My thoughts and perspective have been reflected in the telling of this story, which I did with many voices and perspectives. The STORY, does generate a lot of after conversation which I hoped would happen. And, yes if this drums up additional viewers Hurray. Thank you to the rationale voices out there. The web is a crazy place. Stop by this weekend's Boat Builders Show (Portland, ME) and say Hi if you are in town and maybe catch the screening of RawFaith on Saturday afternoon. Greg R.
rawfaithmovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:31   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Interesting to see you are still watching this thread. From your last posts I thought you were angry/annoyed/whatever and were gone.

Please don't take this as a rant (I personally don't rant but I do express an opinion, politely and rationally I believe) but as an honest, sincere question. Perhaps I did not understand your previous replies to this thread but you seemed to be very insulted by negative comments about the subject of the documentary. BUT, cannot one love the documentary without loving the subject of the film? Cannot a great documentary be made about an unpleasant, unhappy or otherwise unadmirable subject?

From all reports the film is excellent and if it shows anywhere I am I would like to see it. I just don't understand why you seem to be so upset when viewers criticize the people in your documentary. The criticism is not against you, your documentary, the quality of the documentary or anything related. Is it possible that you have identified with the subjects?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:47   #54

Greg,
Maybe if you want to 'generate buzz', you could tell what you know about everything 'not in the movie.';

Like why did the guy take off to Bermuda? Was he crazy, did he have death wish, was he ignorant? What?

What was the deal with the handicapped people? Was it just a ploy from the start ploy to gain money ? Was it genuine at first , then utterly unrealistic?

What were the real problems with the harbormasters?

Did he ever indicate that he knew his plan was unraveling and it was going to fail or was he utterly optimistic the entire time until he was plucked out of the Atlantic?

What is he doing now?

And why are you so tightlipped about everything? Did you make some sort of deal with him or the family not to talk negatively about him?

Fess up!
Old 12-03-2014, 12:35   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
Did you make some sort of deal with him or the family not to talk negatively about him?

Fess up!
Maybe you're joking when you say this but if not, that's not a very complimentary thing to say. To do so would violate the most basic tenets of producing news and documentaries.
Old 12-03-2014, 13:16   #56
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

@rawfaithmovie who cares about your bloody movie. Just get that environmental trash off the water so I don't have to pay taxes to clean up your romantic megalomania fantasies and watch the fish and animals that I actually care about die.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 14:29   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
Greg,
Maybe if you want to 'generate buzz', you could tell what you know about everything 'not in the movie.';

Like why did the guy take off to Bermuda? Was he crazy, did he have death wish, was he ignorant? What?

What was the deal with the handicapped people? Was it just a ploy from the start ploy to gain money ? Was it genuine at first , then utterly unrealistic?

What were the real problems with the harbormasters?

Did he ever indicate that he knew his plan was unraveling and it was going to fail or was he utterly optimistic the entire time until he was plucked out of the Atlantic?

What is he doing now?

And why are you so tightlipped about everything? Did you make some sort of deal with him or the family not to talk negatively about him?

Fess up!
Quite frankly, I'd be offended at your questions too. Especially of what amounts to an accusation with your last one. The guy made a documentary, a good one. really worth watching. It seems to me you are having a go at the maker of the film due to his subject's decisions. That's just nuts. Maybe he simply doesn't have the answers.
Old 12-03-2014, 14:41   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
@rawfaithmovie who cares about your bloody movie. Just get that environmental trash off the water so I don't have to pay taxes to clean up your romantic megalomania fantasies and watch the fish and animals that I actually care about die.
You do realise the ship is no longer 'environmental trash' on the water? It sunk in 2010?

I don't know why people spend the time to come onto a thread and say things like this. If you don't care about the 'bloody movie', don't read the 'bloody' thread! Doing so is what 'trolling' is. And frankly, what danger was the ship ever to your 'fish and animals'? (I suppose your going to start on me now?)
Old 12-03-2014, 17:52   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I guess you have no clue that the people that made the documentary are in not part of the family that built the boat?

All they did was "document" the event. They did not initiate or participate in the boat building process.
Old 12-03-2014, 19:03   #60
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I guess you have no clue that the people that made the documentary are in not part of the family that built the boat?

All they did was "document" the event. They did not initiate or participate in the boat building process.
That I didn't know. EDIT: But they are profiting by it and just as responsible.

And to the other comment, all I say is this sunk boat IS an environmental hazard. Thanks for the petrochemicals, dude. Wish they fined em.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, men