Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia
RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

RawFaith: A Family Saga
95 Minutes
HD VIDEO DOWNLOAD: $12.99
VIMEO RENTAL: $2.99
DVD at www.rawfaiththemovie.com

A film by Gregory Roscoe.
In 1997, the McKay family decided to build a three masted Galleon as a way for the family to voyage and see new places. However, the boat needed to be handicapped accessible for their daughter.

This accommodation evolved into a mission to bring accessible sailing to others. In 1998, the family started construction down east in Addison, Maine. Working with his three sons over four years, George McKay built RawFaith. She was 118 feet long, 26 feet wide and weighed 300 tons. The McKay's launched RawFaith on August 3, 2003. After a series of adventures, shake down cruises and challenges, which included dismastings and family breakdowns, RawFaith was lost at sea in December 2010. RawFaith is a family saga told through the lens of a man, a mission, and a boat.

Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 06:18   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

I hesitate to speak ill of the folks involved, but my understanding was that they were prohibited from getting under way more than once because the vessel was profoundly unfit for any kind of voyage at all. No matter what the dream, or the cause, there's nothing heroic about setting out to sea unprepared.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 06:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I hesitate to speak ill of the folks involved, but my understanding was that they were prohibited from getting under way more than once because the vessel was profoundly unfit for any kind of voyage at all. No matter what the dream, or the cause, there's nothing heroic about setting out to sea unprepared.
I followed the news on this venture when it happened and from all I read, yes this vessel was completely unsuited for going to sea. Fact of life is that faith and dreams are always trumped by engineering and the laws of physics.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 16:24   #4

Hello Cap'n Tom and Skipmac,

Greg Roscoe here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I will offer up that the temptation to distill this complex story down to a sound bite, something good or bad, smart or dumb or define it entirely by the outcome sort of misses the point of announcing the film which tells its story.

I spent five years and including others who worked on the film there is almost 10 years of effort going back to 2003 following and telling this story. There's certainly more here than what your posts imply.

I am not selling a POV or opinion about the merits or demerits of RawFaith and Captain McKay. I am selling an honest documentary that tells that story however. It has been my experience and that of others such as the "Boat Talk" guys of WERU who recently screened the film in Winter Harbor that if you watch the film you will like it.

It screened at the Newburyport Documentary Film Festival last weekend and won BEST FEATURE FILM. What ever your opinions are of the ship, please try and separate those from the film, which I encourage you to see. Hopefully, you will like it as well.
rawfaithmovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 16:50   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

OK, since we're going there...

With all due respect to the hard work and artistic talent that I'm sure went into making that film, the opinion I tried to soft-pedal in my original post stands:

Idiots are not heros and we should not, as a society, be treating them as such, or encouraging that sort of behavior.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, and I'm sure everyone involved in the original project and the making of the film had their hearts in the right place. And for all I know the film is a gripping story that I may very well enjoy. Still, the above paragraph stands. It's not intended as derogatory toward anyone involved in making the film, it's a comment on the kind of "story" our society appears to want.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 18:11   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Greg,

First I would like to clarify one point. I think you are defending an attack on the film that isn't there. Cannot speak for Capt Tom although from his post I'm guessing he might feel the same, but my comment about the subject of the film was in no way a comment about the film itself. After all, neither of us have seen it so how could we judge it.

Certainly a documentary can be well made and look at many aspects of a story in an entertaining or educational way without necessarily glorifying the the participants.
Old 29-09-2013, 05:56   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Threads on this:
Raw Faith

Google Raw Faith boat for more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RawFaith013.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	67993  
Old 29-09-2013, 09:38   #8

Sorry guys, this is going no where fast. I have seen this online behavior time and again. This is a thread about the telling of RawFaith's story. With everybody firmly entrenched in their world view there really is not much else useful to say. There are other places to rant about RawFaith. I respectfully ask that we keep this thread around the film. I encourage honest dialogue about the story and folk's reactions to it. But please, let's move on. Should you desire to learn more about the film please visit http://www.rawfaithmovie.com
Old 29-09-2013, 11:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfaithmovie View Post
Sorry guys, this is going no where fast. I have seen this online behavior time and again. This is a thread about the telling of RawFaith's story. With everybody firmly entrenched in their world view there really is not much else useful to say. There are other places to rant about RawFaith. I respectfully ask that we keep this thread around the film. I encourage honest dialogue about the story and folk's reactions to it. But please, let's move on. Should you desire to learn more about the film please visit http://www.rawfaithmovie.com
Sorry I don't see what is not honest about the dialogue in this thread. Can you perhaps specify what comments you find so objectionable? Do you see any false information? If so I'm sure we all would sincerely welcome information that corrects any misunderstandings.

So far I have seen no one criticize your documentary per se. Not having seen it I have no idea what point of view it propounds but is possible that it lionizes the builders? Is that why you are so sensitive to any post that criticizes the project (meaning of course the boat and not the film)?

What exactly is it that you want us to move on to? Is only praise for the boat and builder allowed or is it something else.

As I said before, one does not have to like the subject of a documentary to appreciate a well made, insightful, educational and/or entertaining film. Several years ago I saw a documentary about a group that built a balsa raft to prove some point about coastal migrations along the coast of South America. As a well made documentary it did just that, document the event without interposing the filmmakers opinions. Later I met some of the group that produced that movie and they were not at all insulted when I mentioned the boat project was poorly planned and executed.
Old 29-09-2013, 15:24   #10

Quote:
Don't bother even trying. This happens all the time.
KuparukGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 07:00   #11

" Not having seen it I have no idea ........"

I think you said it best
Old 30-09-2013, 07:15   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I think you said it best
Well after two what I thought to be very polite replies and questions this is your only response?

So if I may, let me ask very clearly.

Please tell us what it is that you found so objectionable about the previous posts. Is it that you, I think incorrectly, viewed them as a criticism of your documentary or is it because you object to any criticism of the subject of the documentary?

Old 30-09-2013, 08:04   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Never heard of the boat, or the story....

....but will keep one eye on the Oscar Nominations.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:17   #14

Quote:

I think you said it best
Remember where I said don't even bother? Don't even bother. Talking apples and tequila here, not apples and apples.
KuparukGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 09:34   #15

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Never heard of the boat, or the story..
This boat and the builder was the subject of very long threads on Wooden Boat Forum and Sailing Anarchy. The builder put lots of "Faith" in a supreme being but not too much faith in standard boat building practices. In this case the science of boat building won out just like all the naysayers said it would because the boat is resting on the bottom.

It has been compared to the big cat, the Flyin Hawaiian.

Tags
family, men