Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 10:55   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuparukGypsy View Post
Remember where I said don't even bother? Don't even bother. Talking apples and tequila here, not apples and apples.
Perhaps you would like to inform the rest of the posters on what it is that is wrong with the previous comments. If you know something about the boat and builder the contradicts what has been said then why not disclose it?
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 18:25   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 29
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Because all the OP did, who I don't know from Adam's housecat, was to let folks know about a video, or movie, or whatever. And immediately the feedback is that these folks were idiots, etc.

This forum is one of the most unfriendly, opinionated (particularly when not asked for) bunch of folks I've ever had the pleasure of not meeting.
__________________

__________________
KuparukGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 18:44   #18
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

I Googled the film maker and found out that he might be unbiased and this interview shows that he is critical of Raw Faith. That movie might be OK.
Documentary tells story of controversial boat and builder | wcsh6.com

BTW he also did Ice Blink which is another sailing film.

PS KuparukGypsy The builder of Raw Faith was an idjit.
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 18:59   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuparukGypsy View Post
Because all the OP did, who I don't know from Adam's housecat, was to let folks know about a video, or movie, or whatever. And immediately the feedback is that these folks were idiots, etc.

This forum is one of the most unfriendly, opinionated (particularly when not asked for) bunch of folks I've ever had the pleasure of not meeting.
Sorry you feel that way but you know, people are allowed to express their opinion. And I still maintain that no one has yet said a single negative thing to or about the OP, the documentary or the makers.

I cannot see what is wrong, insulting or rude in any way to comment about the subject matter of the film. In fact I thought one purpose of a documentary was to stimulate interest and comment on the subject. I watched a documentary about Charles Manson that I thought was very well made but I'm pretty sure the makers were not insulated because I didn't come away liking Charles Manson.

And NO, I am not comparing Captain McKay or the filmmakers to Charles Manson. I'm just trying to make the point that this might be the most fantastic piece of film since Citizen Kane but does that mean I have to be in love with the subjects of the film. The two are NOT related but maybe that point is too subtle to grasp.

So to make it very, very clear and very, very simple.

I am not criticizing the movie or the makers or the OP.

Nor do I see a single posting here criticizing the movie or the makers. The only point is that the project building the boat was poorly planned and executed. Nothing to do with the film which I am absolutely certain was very well planned and executed.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:06   #20
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I Googled the film maker and found out that he might be unbiased and this interview shows that he is critical of Raw Faith. That movie might be OK.
Documentary tells story of controversial boat and builder | wcsh6.com

BTW he also did Ice Blink which is another sailing film.

PS KuparukGypsy The builder of Raw Faith was an idjit.
I have no doubt that this movie will be quite interesting and your research indicates that it probably reports fairly and accurately on the subject.

I am just amazed that you and I are the only ones that seem to grasp the concept that a good movie can be made about a project that went bad. No reflection on the movie makers at all and in fact kudos to them for picking a difficult subject.

Just can't figure out why everyone is so damn defensive about it.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:09   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuparukGypsy View Post
Because all the OP did, who I don't know from Adam's housecat, was to let folks know about a video, or movie, or whatever. And immediately the feedback is that these folks were idiots, etc.
Just to make the point clear. No one ever said the OP or the moviemakers were idiots. Just that the movie was about people who are/were idiots. Watching idiots can be very interesting and I'll bet the movie is very interesting.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:18   #22
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The two are NOT related but maybe that point is too subtle to grasp.
No, I get it - Charles Manson was in your opinion a good guy because OP made a movie about him sailing a boat .

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:24   #23
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

I read a book on Hitler and I didn't come away as sympathetic. Just like SkipMacs feelings about the Manson film. I was just concerned that this one was going to be too preachy and biased in that way. I'll bet it'll be fair to good. Or better.
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:31   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
No, I get it - Charles Manson was in your opinion a good guy because OP made a movie about him sailing a boat .

I can see that I made myself perfectly clear.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:32   #25
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I read a book on Hitler and I didn't come away as sympathetic. Just like SkipMacs feelings about the Manson film. I was just concerned that this one was going to be too preachy and biased in that way. I'll bet it'll be fair to good. Or better.
I think comparing Skipmac to Hitler simply because both of them hate the movie is a bit strong........

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:34   #26
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think comparing Skipmac to Hitler simply because both of them hate the movie is a bit strong........

I wish you would quit being so serious and try to inject a little humor into the thread.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 22:10   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 114
i would like to see it for $2.99, but i dont have a vimeo account. howabout putting it on vudu or google play where we can easily access it?

all this controversy is promoting your movie!!!
__________________
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 23:17   #28
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfaithmovie View Post
" Not having seen it I have no idea ........"



I think you said it best
Then perhaps drumming up viewers is your only agenda here.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 00:41   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,937
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Why not celebrate that a person in this country can still do something like this. Its good to have the freedom to go out and try to kill yourself without having big brother tell you what is safe. Many sailing stories of high adventure are actually about marginal sailors that did not plan well and prepare well for the trip. Wasn't but a few hours ago someone was plucked off their boat in the PNW by the Coast Guard in what most well prepared sailors would have easily sailed through...maybe that fellow will write a best seller for the dumbed down lives most people have today.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:49   #30
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: RawFaith: A Family Saga Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Why not celebrate that a person in this country can still do something like this. Its good to have the freedom to go out and try to kill yourself without having big brother tell you what is safe. Many sailing stories of high adventure are actually about marginal sailors that did not plan well and prepare well for the trip. Wasn't but a few hours ago someone was plucked off their boat in the PNW by the Coast Guard in what most well prepared sailors would have easily sailed through...maybe that fellow will write a best seller for the dumbed down lives most people have today.
I am 100% for an individual's right to do anything they like as long as it doesn't infringe on my right to do the same.

However, I am also for the right for me to think that this individual is not acting in a safe, logical or well thought out manner.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
family, men

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.