Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 09:04   #76
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Propane Outboards

Thanks for the reply. After posting my question I saw somewhere else that a person had installed a low profile horizontal tank in their dinghy to use with one of these motors, so I did a search on horizontal propane tanks, and didn't see anything that appeared to be even close to what I would think of as low profile. Do you have any suggestions on were one might start to look for something like that?

Also, what would you think the smallest size dinghy would be that would take a 15hp motor? Checked the weights of the 9.9 vs. the 15, I think they were under 20lbs difference. I'm very new to this, so sorry if it is an obvious question. I'm probably going be asking a few of those as time goes on.
alha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 12:04   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

ALHA, The 15 hp Lehr likes to be fed liquid propane. You need a special tank to get liquid propane. Not all horizontal tanks will deliver liquid propane. Most that you see are designed to deliver propane vapor, just like a barbeque tank. I use Lehr's composite 30 pound forklift tank. It lies on it's side. It's about 12 inches in diameter and maybe 30 inches long. I use a couple of nylon straps to strap it to the back of my center seat. Lehr is working on some nice mounting brackets for it but for now you have to get creative.

The 15 will run on vapor, you just won't get the full 15 hp out of it.

I think about a 10 foot rib is about the smallest boat you'll find rated for 15 hp. Others on this forum will have more info on this than I do.
Old 26-05-2015, 14:46   #78

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

the Lehr 2.5.

I have had the outboard for about 8 months with limited use.

my observations.

In general I like the concept of the propane outboard it seems to be right in the low HP range and would recommend to others.

what I learned.

the 1 lb cylinders are useless. get an external fiberglass propane tank.

the cut off switch could be problematic at times. need to pay attention as you insert that plastic fork to engage the switch.

make sure you learn how to purge. its not necessary for normal operations as it will usually fire up on forth pull if there is air in the system. its good to know in case you were involved in trouble shooting.

I was at Avalon last weekend and my outboard did not fire up after much trouble shooting it ended up being a completely dead spark plug. it was hard for me to understand how they just go dead from one day to the next but it did. carry an extra plug!

the good news I was able to get tech support on Saturday and Sunday directly from Lehr. they were very prompt and very helpful. Thank you!
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:07   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Ofer, My experience has been similar to yours. The first time I tried to start my Lehr 2.5 I just about pulled my arm out of it's socket. I called their support number and they explained how to bleed the air out of the lines. After I did that, it started on the first or second pull every time. When I got mine, that trick wasn't in the instructions. Now it's clearly illustrated in the quick start guide.

The little bottle should give you about an hour of run time on a 2.5. Like you, I carry a bigger tank. I also bought a ten foot hose. The four foot hose that they come with won't let me put the tank in the bow of my dinghy where I like it.

I got the 11 pound fiberglass tank. Which one did you go with?
Old 26-05-2015, 16:25   #80

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

yeah I have the 11lb also.

the problem with the 1lb canisters is not necessarily how long they last. they are just a pain to handle and change. its not that convenient to replace those canisters. also the large tank gives you the ability to shut it off when not in use and I like that.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane