Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 04:57   #631

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Post the Worst "For Sale" Picture You've Seen.

Not sure I would call that thing a catamaran. Looks like a bad submarine design.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:59   #632

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

At least it has a seat where you can sit and contemplate how much weed it took to come up with something like this.
Look at all those welds on the inside.

Holy light reflecting turd Batman!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:45   #633

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
...the whole submerged bit appears to be a "drive tunnel" (think Hunt for the Red October, caterpillar drive) and there looks to have been some kind of paddle wheel mechanism in the box on the deck in the photo of the vessel in the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
At least it has a seat where you can sit and contemplate how much weed it took to come up with something like this.
My guess was much more mundane, but somewhat of a combination of the two above.

The tunnel wasn't for propulsion, but for the work it was designed to do. And the weed wasn't smoked, but harvested/removed by this contraption: a lake-weed removal system. There's all kinds of crazy looking vessels designed to try to remove invasive species, or just clear up a section of lake for swimming. I assumed this was one of them.

I'm hoping someone proves me wrong and comes with a more interesting purpose.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:18   #634

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

You know its good when you get pictures of the sinking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yorktown39 #2.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	116279   Click image for larger version

Name:	yorktown39 #1.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	116280  

Old 06-01-2016, 13:13   #635

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Oh my. That's for sale? That thing's ad is just taking up space on the internet. Who would buy that?

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-01-2016, 13:21   #636

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
My guess was much more mundane, but somewhat of a combination of the two above.

The tunnel wasn't for propulsion, but for the work it was designed to do. And the weed wasn't smoked, but harvested/removed by this contraption: a lake-weed removal system. There's all kinds of crazy looking vessels designed to try to remove invasive species, or just clear up a section of lake for swimming. I assumed this was one of them.

I'm hoping someone proves me wrong and comes with a more interesting purpose.
I like it! I reckon your guess is better than mine.
Old 06-01-2016, 14:54   #637

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
You know its good when you get pictures of the sinking!
Here's the backstory on that one. Even more heartbreaking than the pictures alone would've led you to imagine. . . .

(from a GoFundMe page:
https://www.gofundme.com/jamieson)

A note from Ben:

Hello, everyone!
I would like to thank everyone for their support through this tough time. I've gotten many loving and caring messages, which have made many of my days the past 2 weeks. I'm the happiest person to know so many care. I can't wait to get back on the water, it won't be on a boat of my own for several years, but because of the generous donations to offset the cost of the pumps, labor, and transporting of the boats; I can start saving once agian. Big thanks too all my supporters!
Ben

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015, the Jamieson family lost their son’s sailboat. In an attempt to save the boat, the father also lost his boat to the rough waves and strong winds. The two boats were pushed into the break wall at the Open Space in downtown Traverse City, Michigan. With no other choice, the boats were pulled out by cranes. In the process, the family lost two boats that meant more than just a place to be on the water: their son lost the opportunity to pursue his dream.

Their father has had the life-long passion of restoring boats. He is described as a man who always needs a project. The Misbehaving was a 37’ CrisCraft Roamer, the third of which he restored for his family. The last one he restored he donated to an auction for a local charity.

Ben Jamieson, 19, recently graduated from Traverse City St. Francis. Inspired by his father, Ben worked for the family business with the dream to buy a boat, restore it, get his captain’s license, and sail around the world. He found the boat three years ago, but could not purchase it yet. The boat sold just months after he found it. He continued to work for three years, and the same boat came up for sale in May of 2015. He bought the 1982 39’ Yorktown and named it Brizo.

Ben and his father finished hand-constructing the trailer just days before the accident; they were waiting for a callback from the marina to take his boat out. His plans for this winter were to repaint the hull, restore the interior, and prepare to take a year off to sail around the world.

While at work, Ben received a message from a friend’s mom stating that a green sailboat had run aground near the Clinch Park marina. Racing down to the park, Ben arrived and discovered that his bow anchor had given way and the strong waves pushed Brizo into the iron break wall. Quickly, Ben called his family. His father, brother, and cousin arrived to help. After calling tow boats in Traverse City, none of which would come to save the boat, Ben’s father launched Misbehaving and attempted to tow Brizo out. While the boat was being pulled, a loose rope fell off the sailboat, drifted to Misbehaving, and was wrapped around its propellor. The waves quickly overtook Misbehaving and it began to run into the break wall.

With no other choice, they called a crane to lift the boats out of the water. When the cranes arrived, both boats had merely cosmetic damage. With upwards of 100 onlookers, the crane attempted to lift Misbehaving out, and the strap broke. The boat crashed back down, cracking the iron hull, compromising the boat. In this time, Brizo ran more and more into the wall, putting a gaping hole in the bow, breaking the keel, and snapping the rudder. By the time Brizo was out, the boat was ruined.

They are very thankful for the love and encouragement they received from the community. At the end of the night, the family was left with ruined boats, many broken hearts, and a large bill.

The Jamieson family has been large supporters of the sailing community in Traverse City. They have volunteered countless hours for the Traverse Area Community Sailing program and the high school sailing team for St. Francis, Central, and West High Schools. The crane company, Team Elmers, has been very supportive and covered the bills from the cranes.

We need the support of community at this time to help Ben repay his family, repair damages, and make it possible for him to one day pursue his dream of sailing around the world.
Old 06-01-2016, 15:26   #638

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

It is unfortunate this family lost two boats.

Nevertheless, it strikes me is fairly ballsy to solicit donations for the guy to "pay back his family". I guess I just don't understand the whole go fund me culture.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:39   #639

Yea this is especially ballsy as I happen to know a little more about his "anchoring habits" than the fund raising propaganda lets on...

It was anchored out in Grand Traverse Bay west side all summer. It's significant because no [U]no one does this![U], Its a long bay and if the wind is out of the east or west your fine, even a south wind is ok. When the wind comes from the north its a hellish scene. My sailing friend when in Traverse City this summer on his trip. Saw the boat and commented on the fact that it was anchored with no one aboard for days. Also that his anchor line seemed to be floating!!! That's right he used polypropylene rope as an anchor line! No chain from what my friend saw. The water there is clear and visibility to 40ft isn't a problem. He also had a line from the stern to the sea wall so the boat could not swing into the wind... . All in all some pretty basic mistakes for someone supposedly heavily involved in the sailing community. Many in downtown Traverse City commented on who would leave their boat there and why in that arrangement.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:51   #640

Yea the boat had been for sale for a number of years. I'd seen it on craigslist quite a bit. From what I can guess the kid bought the boat and couldn't afford a slip or a mooring in the area and it is all pretty expensive by Michigan standards up there. That's because it such great cruising ground! Beautiful little towns and quaint bays to pull into and drop anchor or rent a mooring for the week. However, you have to plan ahead 5+ years to get a slip or mooring for the season in most places as the waiting lists are that long. I've heard of 40ft slips going for over $8k for a seasons lease (usually April-Nov).
Old 07-01-2016, 11:27   #641

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Interesting to know the (Paul Harvey - bless him) rest of the story.
Old 17-01-2016, 14:33   #642

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I love this one; four pictures of the same angle with one in focus.Search Sailboats for Sale

goat

Old 17-01-2016, 15:08   #643

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I love this one; four pictures of the same angle with one in focus.Search Sailboats for Sale

goat

Looks like another wife wants to sell and husband says he will
Old 26-01-2016, 02:15   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Looks like another wife wants to sell and husband says he will
Imagine how she asks:
"- You put our boat for sale?
- Yes here it is, look! Search Sailboats for Sale "
Old 01-02-2016, 18:31   #645

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
Imagine how she asks:
"- You put our boat for sale?
- Yes here it is, look! Search Sailboats for Sale "
It's a giveaway price. If the folding prop is new (I doubt it) the boat is free
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle, sale