Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 06:17   #556

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Re: Post the Worst "For Sale" Picture You've Seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
55 foot boat has been unused for a while. Could use a little cleaning because of a little mold.
Honestly curious with this one (and some of the others) if this is just something that you spend a couple of days on, clean it up and you end up with a nice boat, or if mold like this is a permanent problem at this point.

(About the pictures that are "just" messy, I assume that the rest of the boat is equally badly maintained, so would shy away from that)
Old 25-08-2015, 06:55   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Honestly curious with this one (and some of the others) if this is just something that you spend a couple of days on, clean it up and you end up with a nice boat, or if mold like this is a permanent problem at this point.
Impossible to tell from a picture. Could very well be a problem that renders the boat only valuable as scrap, or could be a relatively easy clean-up. You'd have to go and look very carefully, digging into every nook and cranny on the boat, before you could tell.
Old 25-08-2015, 07:54   #558
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post

(About the pictures that are "just" messy, I assume that the rest of the boat is equally badly maintained, so would shy away from that)
Good question.

As I only posted a few photos before, I will post a link to the boat listing so you can view the boat yourself.

First, I have seen some sailboat "for sale" interior shots that show mild mold or mildew growth (usually seen as a white sheen on wood that is photographed with a flash and the wood is at an angle to the camera) and that level of mildew would be expected and common. It would not bother me as much as what you will see in this boat. In short, I think SOME cases of mild mildew can be handled.

It is the heavy mold growth that is endemic and widespread that is what I would avoid.

The specs of the boat? Steel schooner 50 feet LOA.

It looks like a nice design (in plan view) and also looks neglected for years. When I saw the "before" and "now" photos, I thought: "What a shame to see a nice boat go wasting away like that."

My View?
Because I am allergic to dust and mold and have had difficulty breathing in a small room (with poor ventilation) that had mold on UNSEEN surfaces (in the flooring, under the carpet, in the walls), I would NEVER want to stay on that boat, even if the visible surface mold was wiped off. It is the UNSEEN mold that is horrible and impossible to eradicate (in my view). While some pros may clean a boat to look good on the SURFACE or some pros may clean a house to look good, I would NOT want to subject my own lungs/body to living in that same space.

The damp environment of a boat is an ideal location for mold. It can come back very quickly (in a matter of a few days). And a 50 foot boat with a full wood interior has a lot of hidden spaces and a LOT of surface area inside the boat on which the mold and mildew would pop up again. I think it would be a never ending battle to control the mold growth even if it was cleaned when purchased.

Here is another photo from that listing. Notice this is the companionway hatch. What do you see on the inside of the acrylic hatch boards? I see mold in big dense gray patches. YUCK!

IF you go to the link, notice how nice the boat looked at one time. Compare that to today. Notice the tarps on the deck, indicating leaking hatches etc.

1978 Giorgetti e Magrini Schooner 55 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mold on Hatch.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	107926  
Old 25-08-2015, 08:16   #559

Wow, yes, ok. The other pictures give it more context. I would not be up for that, specially as my first (or ever, really).

Poor thing, I wonder what they did to it

And yes, I wonder about good clean ups too.
Old 25-08-2015, 14:12   #560

Boat: Custom

The whole ad must be seen to be appreciated! (personally photo 3 is my favourite).

10 M Cruising Live Aboard Yacht Solar Self Sufficient NO $10KYR Marina Costs in QLD | eBay

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Old 25-08-2015, 14:24   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
The whole ad must be seen to be appreciated! (personally photo 3 is my favourite).

10 M Cruising Live Aboard Yacht Solar Self Sufficient NO $10KYR Marina Costs in QLD | eBay
SO MUCH random CAPS +++ why NOT USE REGULAR punctuation MARKS--- ++++ WOULD make +++ IT much easier TO READ
Old 25-08-2015, 14:39   #562

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

I find the idea of being in that boat with all that stuff terrifying!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-08-2015, 14:48   #563

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I'm just going to guess that this is a good example of being wary of boats with balsa below the waterline?

I suspect that boat went up on the rocks in a storm and the crazy missing sections are a result of exploration/attempted repair.
Old 25-08-2015, 14:56   #564
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

WOW!

That has to be seen to be believed!

As I slowly looked at each photo, and clicked to see the next image of the interior I was literally shocked by what I saw. WHOAH! I mean, the sheer volume of items in that boat! Whew! That is a LOT of small stuff and clutter!

I understand it is someone's home on the water, but that clearly shows too much stuff on a boat.

Notice the weather cloths and the sun/shade shrouding too. And that mizzen mast collection of antennae and other things. Amazing, to see so much stuff in one boat.
Old 25-08-2015, 16:24   #565

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

I like this for the one the needs a little hull repair...

Call anytime.

Proudly endorsed by a Certified Professional Yacht Broker

Please contact Alan
Old 25-08-2015, 19:39   #566

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
WOW!

That has to be seen to be believed!

As I slowly looked at each photo, and clicked to see the next image of the interior I was literally shocked by what I saw. WHOAH! I mean, the sheer volume of items in that boat! Whew! That is a LOT of small stuff and clutter!

I understand it is someone's home on the water, but that clearly shows too much stuff on a boat.

Notice the weather cloths and the sun/shade shrouding too. And that mizzen mast collection of antennae and other things. Amazing, to see so much ANCIENT stuff in one boat.
There.
Fixed it for ya.
Old 26-08-2015, 02:51   #567

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I find the idea of being in that boat with all that stuff terrifying!!

I think that's why the ad started out with this little tidbit: "THIS IS A WELL SORTED OUT BOAT WITH ALMOST ZERO SAILING TIME"

Watch out for the heel!

Old 26-08-2015, 02:52   #568

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
I suspect that boat went up on the rocks in a storm and the crazy missing sections are a result of exploration/attempted repair.

Ahhh, that likely does make more sense. The wood showing through was just so striking!

Old 26-08-2015, 03:22   #569

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Wow, that guy could have a really large nautical flea market all by himself! Just remember one guys junk is another's treasure. He must have the mother lode.
Old 26-08-2015, 08:19   #570

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:

Pictures below had me thinking "mothers basement", then "hoarders afloat".

At least it's an add with multiple pictures and not something showing what it USED to look like back in the day when it was still nice.
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle, sale