Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 07:12   #31

Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Anyone tried using the "Tile" Bluetooth tracker for this purpose? Says water resistant to IP5, whatever that is. Does local short distance tracking to find misplaced items. And has Internet connectivity via your phone if in cell range. Can also ring the on board phone if in Bluetooth range.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
Anyone tried using the "Tile" Bluetooth tracker for this purpose? Says water resistant to IP5, whatever that is. Does local short distance tracking to find misplaced items. And has Internet connectivity via your phone if in cell range. Can also ring the on board phone if in Bluetooth range.
We actually had a Tile ourselves. Not for the purpose of a MOB but for locating a cat! While we haven't tested it on an actual boat, considering the range we saw in the house, the signal is to weak to cover an entire boat leading to many "misplaced man" during a trip.
jason-panpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:20   #33

I am liking the look of this product. A couple of questions though:

Is the device reusable after a wet deployment?
Is the devise diposed of after three years or is there a battery replacment option?
What distance will it be possible to be from the monitoring cell phone without alarming? That is to ask if it will be possible to use on larger boats without false alarming by going to the foredeck.
got cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:30   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by got cake View Post
I am liking the look of this product. A couple of questions though:

Is the device reusable after a wet deployment?
Is the devise diposed of after three years or is there a battery replacment option?
What distance will it be possible to be from the monitoring cell phone without alarming? That is to ask if it will be possible to use on larger boats without false alarming by going to the foredeck.
It's re-usable, the housing is epoxy sealed.
This is also the reason the battery can't be changed and thus the beacon should be disposed if the battery is empty. By the time that happens it's probably a good idea to get a new one anyway due to evolving technology and wear.

The three years is three years of continuous operation, if you would place it back in the cradle when you are not sailing, the beacon will turn off and there is only a 1% a year self discharge.
Old 17-05-2016, 12:04   #35

Boat: Niagara 35

Very interesting, indeed.

I love the concept and the robust sender units.

One limitation seems to be that it only tells you the last known location (where the boat was when the beacon hit the water) and not the current location. Is this true, or am I misunderstanding? It can take some time to get back, especially if you've been asleep below and are under sail. By then, in the dark and large swell/wind waves it can be very hard to find your target.
Old 17-05-2016, 12:14   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You've piqued my interest too. I could see putting these on my kids even at anchor!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 12:32   #37

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Keep us informed. If it comes on the market at near what you are thinking I'm interested.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 15:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason-panpan View Post
We actually had a Tile ourselves. Not for the purpose of a MOB but for locating a cat! While we haven't tested it on an actual boat, considering the range we saw in the house, the signal is to weak to cover an entire boat leading to many "misplaced man" during a trip.
Thanks!! I was wondering about a Tile on each of our small dogs, sounds like a no go however. Possibility even on our 28 footer they'd trip the alarm until we got used to ignoring it. And then they'd go over the side. Good luck with your product launch.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 18:40   #39

Boat: Island Packet 40

Pondering on the boat running away problem:

I notice my phone has both Bluetooth and WiFi.

Becoming tired of pulling wires and repairing corroded sockets and plugs I am exploring WiFi and there are some interesting things coming onto the market and as has happened with comms and computers I foresee the day, not far in the future, when everything which may have a comms capability or requirement will come with WiFi.

It would appear that what we need is your system to tell the phone that someone's signal has stopped, and, an App that has the phone call the WiFi capable nav or autopilot via it's WiFi to have it respond.

Before we go nuts re how the system might respond and all the reasons it would not work, consider the alternatives. A boat set up to sail which luffs up or goes into a heave-too status or under power de-throttles/shuts-down/circles-at-idle, or one which sails or steams over the horizon at 5-7 knots.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 23:52   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Very interesting, indeed.

I love the concept and the robust sender units.

One limitation seems to be that it only tells you the last known location (where the boat was when the beacon hit the water) and not the current location. Is this true, or am I misunderstanding? It can take some time to get back, especially if you've been asleep below and are under sail. By then, in the dark and large swell/wind waves it can be very hard to find your target.
He Chris,

Thanks for the kind words.

You are correct.
PanPan is made to initiate the fastest response and gives you a good reference point to start your procedure.
Old 17-05-2016, 23:54   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You've piqued my interest too. I could see putting these on my kids even at anchor!
That would be a perfect application
Old 17-05-2016, 23:55   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Keep us informed. If it comes on the market at near what you are thinking I'm interested.

S/V B'Shert
Will do, thanks!
Old 17-05-2016, 23:58   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Pondering on the boat running away problem:

I notice my phone has both Bluetooth and WiFi.

Becoming tired of pulling wires and repairing corroded sockets and plugs I am exploring WiFi and there are some interesting things coming onto the market and as has happened with comms and computers I foresee the day, not far in the future, when everything which may have a comms capability or requirement will come with WiFi.

It would appear that what we need is your system to tell the phone that someone's signal has stopped, and, an App that has the phone call the WiFi capable nav or autopilot via it's WiFi to have it respond.

Before we go nuts re how the system might respond and all the reasons it would not work, consider the alternatives. A boat set up to sail which luffs up or goes into a heave-too status or under power de-throttles/shuts-down/circles-at-idle, or one which sails or steams over the horizon at 5-7 knots.
He Raymond,

Thanks for brainstorming with us.

We are actively looking into this! Most of the WiFi marine equipment can communicate over the Seatalk protocol. ideally we would have your phone talk to your plotter and auto pilot so we can perform actions like you describe.
Old 18-05-2016, 05:13   #44

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Does current Seatalk require a converter to talk to nema 0183/2000 devices?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 05:17   #45

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I could see putting one on my 2 year old in the house, Id get an alarm if he manages to open the door and go off a wandering...

Tags
phone