Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 01:57   #46
Sponsoring Vendor
 
jason-panpan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 24
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I could see putting one on my 2 year old in the house, Id get an alarm if he manages to open the door and go off a wandering...
Although not intended for this purpose and depending of the size of your house that could work
__________________

__________________
jason-panpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 06:23   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 315
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Personally I think if you are really worried about going overboard any of the current safety devices are more appropriate. EPIRB, PLB, Handheld vhf with dsc and gps....
Devices that tell rescuers where you are, not where you were you fell off.
Maybe at anchor on a kid or pet, offshore NO WAY!
__________________

__________________
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 05:45   #48
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Personally I think if you are really worried about going overboard any of the current safety devices are more appropriate. EPIRB, PLB, Handheld vhf with dsc and gps....
Devices that tell rescuers where you are, not where you were you fell off.
Maybe at anchor on a kid or pet, offshore NO WAY!
You didn't read the initial posts did you?

Epirbs and plb's are not going to wake up others on your boat
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 16:05   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,026
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason-panpan View Post

It actually uses a specialised long range bluetooth 4 antenna. This is great because the protocol is much more energy efficient with an expected operational battery life of three years for the beacon.
You quote a special long range antenna but don't give a range idea.

So what is the expected range for a normal phone?
Not in the open field but under real world conditions (device is outside, the phone is inside a FRP / wood / steel boat, with no false alarms due to lost signal)

What is the expected range once the device gets wet / submerged ? Of course again with the phone inside the boat.
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 17:52   #50
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Steel boat appropriate?
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 21:36   #51
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

I think this is a fantastic idea. Well done. I hope it takes off for you.

My only comment is that I suspect it will quickly, in the next year or so, be superceeded with either vhf radios or AIS finders doing the same thing and then not just waking up others on the boat, but also giving their location so they can be quickly picked up.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 00:14   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,026
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think this is a fantastic idea. Well done. I hope it takes off for you.

My only comment is that I suspect it will quickly, in the next year or so, be superceeded with either vhf radios or AIS finders doing the same thing and then not just waking up others on the boat, but also giving their location so they can be quickly picked up.
They do do exactly that today and more but at a different price Tag. 300 vs whatever the final price will be.
Wer habe a dedicated Dsc / Gps enabled VHF Handheld for this purpose
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 00:57   #53
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
They do do exactly that today and more but at a different price Tag. 300 vs whatever the final price will be.
Wer habe a dedicated Dsc / Gps enabled VHF Handheld for this purpose
Correct me please as I don't have one. But if you fall over with a dSC hand held and activate it, does it not send out an alert to everyone within radio distance?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 01:40   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,026
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Correct me please as I don't have one. But if you fall over with a dSC hand held and activate it, does it not send out an alert to everyone within radio distance?
it has big red button to send out a DSC alert to everyone within radio distance.
A DSC alert includes current GPS position and MMSI identity. This fires off the VHF alarm, and with integrated systems it also places a marker in the chartplotter.
Plus it is of course a handheld VHF so the MOB can direct the mothership via voice.

It needs however a DSC VHF on the mothership and and loudspeaker / alarm in the cabin for the off-watch.

In case of MOB I think its better to alert everyone in VHF distance than to hope that your SO likes you enough to get you back onboard.


AIS MOB are at the same price tag, but can only do MOB alerts. Handheld VHF wins IMO.
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 03:01   #55
Sponsoring Vendor
 
jason-panpan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 24
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
You quote a special long range antenna but don't give a range idea.

So what is the expected range for a normal phone?
Not in the open field but under real world conditions (device is outside, the phone is inside a FRP / wood / steel boat, with no false alarms due to lost signal)

What is the expected range once the device gets wet / submerged ? Of course again with the phone inside the boat.
He Rabbi,

Good question, and one that's hard to answer because it's depended on the conditions. We've tested about 200meters line of sight range with a sony xperia z1.

We've also tested on board a 10m, wooden sailing yacht where we kept the phone in the sleeping cabin at bow and the beacon at the far back of the vessel on deck. This signal had more then enough capacity to manage this. (Although I would recommend keeping it somewhere center.)

When floating in the water we found it picked up signal for about a 10m radius while the phone was on board. Please remember that the loss of signal is also used as a trigger for man over board.

We do have plans to to create a "homing" function. Once you arrive at the point of loss and you pick up the signal again, we can tell you must be close. (for night-time situations)

Does that cover your question?
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Claim up to 40% discount
jason-panpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 05:05   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,026
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason-panpan View Post
He Rabbi,

Good question, and one that's hard to answer because it's depended on the conditions. We've tested about 200meters line of sight range with a sony xperia z1.

We've also tested on board a 10m, wooden sailing yacht where we kept the phone in the sleeping cabin at bow and the beacon at the far back of the vessel on deck. This signal had more then enough capacity to manage this. (Although I would recommend keeping it somewhere center.)

When floating in the water we found it picked up signal for about a 10m radius while the phone was on board. Please remember that the loss of signal is also used as a trigger for man over board.

We do have plans to to create a "homing" function. Once you arrive at the point of loss and you pick up the signal again, we can tell you must be close. (for night-time situations)

Does that cover your question?

Thank you, I'm interested and signed up for the Beta. Will these beacons ship before summer? do you have the android app ready ?


I hope you have not only rock solid reliability but also bulletproof disclaimers taking care of all possible stupidity that exists around the world.
Otherwise some American will sue the hell out of you if a live / wife is lost while wearing one of your beacons.
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 05:42   #57
Sponsoring Vendor
 
jason-panpan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 24
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think this is a fantastic idea. Well done. I hope it takes off for you.

My only comment is that I suspect it will quickly, in the next year or so, be superceeded with either vhf radios or AIS finders doing the same thing and then not just waking up others on the boat, but also giving their location so they can be quickly picked up.
Thanks for the kind words.

I believe this has passed in this thread before. I will have to do some digging in the technology as the range is certainly a big asset.
From what I could find quickly is that it's quite power hungry, the devices are quite large (probably due to the battery) and expensive.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Claim up to 40% discount
jason-panpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 22:22   #58
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 4,372
Images: 34
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

I've got one of those handheld VHF w/GPS and I like it but it does not send out a message unless I push the button, and I'd have to have it in my hand or attached somewhere at all times. Not likely for me. I think your idea with a homing function makes it even more interesting. And I see this in addition to a PLB or VHF, not instead of. I wonder, what about a distress button in case you are outside and the wind is howling and you want to send an alarming yell inside to say "hey, wake up, I'm stuck and I need a hand out here quick!" Or did you mention it and I missed it?
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 01:01   #59
Sponsoring Vendor
 
jason-panpan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 24
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Thank you, I'm interested and signed up for the Beta. Will these beacons ship before summer? do you have the android app ready ?


I hope you have not only rock solid reliability but also bulletproof disclaimers taking care of all possible stupidity that exists around the world.
Otherwise some American will sue the hell out of you if a live / wife is lost while wearing one of your beacons.
Awesome! great to have you on board.
We are currently in the last stages of development and aim to ship before the summer of next year. The beta units will be earlier then that tough.

We are working hard to get it as reliable as possible but as with any safety equipment, we cannot prevent thing's only do our bets to aid in distress.
You are right about the legal bit, luckily we have legal consultants for that part.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Claim up to 40% discount
jason-panpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 08:18   #60
Sponsoring Vendor
 
jason-panpan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 24
Re: PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I've got one of those handheld VHF w/GPS and I like it but it does not send out a message unless I push the button, and I'd have to have it in my hand or attached somewhere at all times. Not likely for me. I think your idea with a homing function makes it even more interesting. And I see this in addition to a PLB or VHF, not instead of. I wonder, what about a distress button in case you are outside and the wind is howling and you want to send an alarming yell inside to say "hey, wake up, I'm stuck and I need a hand out here quick!" Or did you mention it and I missed it?
Ah, yes automatic activation is a big plus.
PanPan is made to be exactly what you say, an extra layer of protection in the scheme of things.

Am I correct that your looking for something like a "Attention" button on the beacon? That's quite a neat idea although the first units probably wont see a button because of the complexity it brings with waterproofing the unit.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Claim up to 40% discount
jason-panpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
phone

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RUNNING UBUNTU OPENCPN ON YOUR SMARTPHONE sinbad7 OpenCPN 4 03-10-2012 21:53
DELL WYSE PocketCloud app for your smartphone sinbad7 OpenCPN 0 23-09-2012 09:42
Run Your Laptop From The Cockpit With Your Smartphone sinbad7 OpenCPN 66 12-09-2012 08:41



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.