Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 13:58   #31

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Re: iPad Ships Log Book

No one has asked to see our log yet - what are some examples of countries where we would have to show our ship's log (either electronic or paper)?
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 14:48   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I've been asked twice of the coast of France. In one boat he got very annoyed it was spiral bound.

Dave
Old 23-01-2013, 19:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post

It sounds like the electronic one will be the way things will be done when I get a boat. I hope the foreign countries will keep up.
By 2016 all of the trucking industry will be required by the department of transportation to convert to electronic logs. Canada and most of Mexico follow what the US does. The DOT has their fingers in everything that has to do with transportation.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 22:28   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymicky View Post
Thanks,

I really like the app, one of the most useful extra's with iLog sailing is the maintenance tool, you create a schedule of tasks, including how often they are to be done, parts needed, tips, supplier details etc and then once you flag as completed it automatically schedule them when due again so really easy to keep track of all the jobs to be done.

The app actually uses the icloud so data is protected in the cloud if there is ipad issues, having said this the apple stuff is almost bullet proof and all solid state so very robust for use at sea.
I don't think iLog Sailing Companion specifically backs-up to the cloud. The app and data may be part of the iPad backup/restore to/from the cloud, but there's no specific option to backup the database. Also, keep in mind, you need to have cell or wifi connection to access the internet and backup your iPad.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 11:03   #35

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50

Trickymicky - I'm just curious... are you associated with East Coast Marine there in Oz? I was thinking of buying iLog last night, and Googled for more information. I found your very similar posts on three forums (this along with crew.org.nz and sailing anarchy), all late November. Since there are no reviews in the app store yet and only this discussion, I can't really tell anything from a clear user perspective and was looking for comments.

Just wondering whether this is viral marketing, or if you're just looking for a variety of good answers about a new product. No offense intended if the latter!

It does look potentially useful... nice aggregation of simple functions into a handy portable tool. On my "maybe" list... the big iron can do it all, of course, and so can a mix of iPad apps, but having all those functions in one place is probably worth the price of admission if it indeed works well.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 24-01-2013, 12:14   #36
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Trickymicky - I'm just curious... are you associated with East Coast Marine there in Oz? I was thinking of buying iLog last night, and Googled for more information. I found your very similar posts on three forums (this along with crew.org.nz and sailing anarchy), all late November. Since there are no reviews in the app store yet and only this discussion, I can't really tell anything from a clear user perspective and was looking for comments.

Just wondering whether this is viral marketing, or if you're just looking for a variety of good answers about a new product. No offense intended if the latter!
TrickyMicky is indeed associated with iLog Sailing, and he did indeed make several posts about the product here before we caught him in our net and the company gallantly upgraded to become a supporting vendor. Hopefully, as a result, some of our members will decide to try the app, and then we will be able to get some real feedback about the product!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 00:44   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post

It does look potentially useful... nice aggregation of simple functions into a handy portable tool. On my "maybe" list... the big iron can do it all, of course, and so can a mix of iPad apps, but having all those functions in one place is probably worth the price of admission if it indeed works well.

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your interest, our app was released in November and we did post some initial messages to generate interest, we now have several hundred users across 17 countries. There has been valuable feedback and we are a week or so from another release incorporating recent user feedback which will also be distributed to current users as an update.

If you have specific questions feel free to contacts direct, our email is listed under the vendors area. Regards Clinton

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
iLog Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:43   #38

Boat: Hartmann-Palmer, 56'

Does anyone know if the "iLog Sailing Companion" app for the iPad can be backed up online? What about printing logs, checklists, etc?
WildOneFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 18:32   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I've been asked twice of the coast of France. In one boat he got very annoyed it was spiral bound.
Dave
Is there an actual requirement for private S/V to have a specific type of log (internationally i mean)?

Is there a requirement for a log at all?

I know it is good practice, but I am not aware of a legal requirement...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:07   #40

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I am going to download it and give it a try. I'll report back later in the year.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 04:55   #41

I wanted to report back regarding iPad logbook programs. I have been using Logbook for the iPad. It is great!! The entries are simple to make, automatically updates at whatever specified intervals you choose either time or nautical miles. You add photos on the fly as part of the log, too. The log can be exported as a .PDF.

If anyone is interested in seeing the log output, let me know and I can email it to you. I can't seem to upload a .pdf, here.

Ben

Ben Solomon
S/V Dawn 1990 37.5 hunter legend
Rock Hall, Maryland
Old 26-05-2015, 05:45   #42

Boat: Orca 38

How about just posting a link to the app?
Old 26-05-2015, 15:01   #43

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Sounds like my kind of App. Thanks for the tip.
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 04:50   #44

The link to the logbook app is:

Www.logbook-app.com

The author of the program is very accessible and helpful.

Ben

Ben Solomon
S/V Dawn 1990 37.5 hunter legend
Rock Hall, Maryland
Old 28-05-2015, 09:47   #45

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Typically no one mentions Android devices it's all "i" this and "i" that

As for me I'll stick to a mk1 pen and hardbound book. There's something fundamentally right about actually writing your logbook, noting the barometric pressure, checking the wind and physically marking your observations. I spend enough time in front of computers at work so I'll be buggered if I'm going to type a log book.

I don't have a problem with technology but in this instance I'm old school.

Bah humbug!!!
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad