Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 05:12   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

FREE Provisioning Spreadsheet

If you're heading out for more than just a couple of days, you're probably trying to figure out what you need to buy and what you already have on board.

Although I call this a provisioning spreadsheet, it's really a combination inventory and provisioning spreadsheet. It is NOT intended to be a recommendation of what you need on any particular trip -- that is up to you, what you like to eat, how many people are on board, and how long you'll be gone.

This spreadsheet will allow you to decide what foods you want, how many units of each you use in an average week, let you inventory how many you already have on hand, and then it will calculate how many you need to buy.

It's downloadable in Excel .xls format, and you can edit it to your heart's content. There's an instruction sheet to download, too.

Get the FREE Downloadable Inventory & Provisioning Spreadsheet

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: FREE Provisioning Spreadsheet

This is a great resource, thanks! I am always making spreadsheets, and this is pretty much along the lines of how I would have made one for provisioning, AND it already has loads of victuals in there! Thanks!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:06   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
How come no fresh vegetables ?

Dave
Old 06-01-2013, 11:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Hi Carolyn,
I will download your spreadsheet and show it Jude. She made her own Excel sheet many years ago, much to my rolling of eyes and tut-tutting. But by golly, it works wonders when we can't find that last can of baked beans, or small bag of spice. A good idea that also makes reprovisioning faster and more efficient.
Goodonya,
Old 06-01-2013, 11:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Just had a quick peek, and back again with a suggestion, one that makes Jude's inventory spreadsheet so handy.
We have at least 6 lockers where dry good, cans, etc are stored. Another for fresh. And in Jude's spreadsheet is a column for "WHERE" the item is. You might want to incorporate that in yours... What do you think?
Old 06-01-2013, 15:46   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Goboatingnow -- I buy fresh veggies according to what I find as opposed to what's on a list (where we cruised, it was far better that way). But you can add more rows and put veggies in if you wish.

Banyandah -- You can definitely add a column for where -- I tried all sorts of systems to record where things were and found that I just never actually did the recording no matter WHAT the system . . . so I stopped and found that I really just knew what I had where. I usually have things in several places (a week stash in one handy locker and the big stock might get split between a couple locations), so that's why there are multiple columns for the inventory for each item.

One of the reasons that I like a spreadhseet is that it's easy to add rows and columns and customize it as you want it and most people know how to do basic spreadsheet things like adding another item or changing one.

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 16:08   #7
Marine Service Provider

Excel is such a powerful program, and so versatile.
Jude loves knowing where she's put something. So, after a shop, as she stores the item, she records it on her laptop. She says it's easy to do that. We're long distant sailors and normally provision for 4 months. That's a lot of stuff to remember where it is....

Your spreadsheet could easily cater for that. Columns I,J,K,L could be different storage lockers, or something like that. It all comes down to what works for the individual.

Thanks for sharing yours.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:44   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat Galley View Post
so I stopped and found that I really just knew what I had where. I usually have things in several places (a week stash in one handy locker and the big stock might get split between a couple locations), so that's why there are multiple columns for the inventory for each item.
I think it might be a man thing. I might know where everything is in the freezer after I've packed it, but once Marc comes along and repacks it in what he *thinks* is a more logical order, neither of us know what we have or where it is!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 14:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I think it might be a man thing.
SaucySailoress you are cheeky.
A man thing indeed....

Here's Jude wondering where to store all this, and find it after a few months!

Tags
provisioning