Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 14:28   #46

Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
I think the point of the OP was not to encourage folks to cruise engine free.
Maybe the point of the OP was to persuade someone to buy their boat?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 14:37   #47

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Maybe the point of the OP was to persuade someone to buy their boat?
That is kinda cheesy mate…….. No I doubt that.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 14:39   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Actually it is the other way around. If you are driving a car and burning a fossil fuel, you are destroying the climate, which is mooching off of everyone else, including the birds and dolphins.

I do not hitch-hike if there is an engine involved, because I understand that doing so benefits the person who would pick me up as they would feel like they are doing a good thing. They are already doing a very bad thing. It is not acceptable to cut the trees and destroy the canopy for some road made of oil which cooks the ground and destroys the local micro climate even if there were not global implications.

At least in some places the main road is a dirt path for walking only. I didn't see any fat people there.

Besides myself, and lin and larry, who else here is free of physically having an engine in their boat, and has crossed an ocean?

I have heard plenty of people say they barely use theirs only to see them fire it up when they leave!

Then I hear about people saying that they cannot enter narrow passes without an engine. This is essentially false. I have sailed in and out of penryn (cooks) and oyster island (vanuatu) which both have narrow passes. This required using the anchor to avoid hitting the reef because I couldn't really tell where it was deep enough. I also was going against the tide because I did not want to wait, but doing so would make it much easier.

If you want something reliable, try an electric motor. Most people already use this thing just to start an engine, so the reliability is obviously superior. 10 amps, 12 volts and 2 knots is acceptable to me, but still could be approximately twice as efficient by tweaking the motor and gears, but mostly by using a different propeller. A more efficient boat would make the most sense of course.

For a sculling oar, mine is not very efficient, but I have measured 1.5knots on the gps with no currents or wind. I can also tow the boat using my kayak at nearly the same speed as a sculling oar, but using different muscles.

I hear people complain that it is easy with my boat to not have an engine, but with a larger boat it is not possible. This reminds me of the guy who complained that the ice-covered trail was slippery on green mountain in the winter, and it was easier for me because I was barefoot. I didn't see him taking his shoes off. Anyone can trade their bigger boat for a smaller one.

The fact is it is actually much harder to sail engine-free on a small boat, because on long passages, you are much more vulnerable to weather systems due to the slower hull speed.

Also, maybe you are engine-free, but for cooking, do you still burn the blood of the earth? No need. Most of the time, solar cooking works great! If there isn't sun, I have managed burning driftwood so that 3 sticks 1 foot long and 1 inch in diameter can cook rice, make tea, and roast vegetables.
Well since the soap box is available...let's look at your fossil fueled boat. The F/G hull, it's dacron sails. The tupperware you have onboard. Those clothes you wear mad in the sweat shop in China from 7 year old slave labor. You see...we can go on and on. When we view others we look through the binoculars. But when we look at own own part in the scheme of things, immediately we turn the binoculars around and view ourselves from the wrong end where everything appears tiny.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 14:39   #49

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
........……. "Do you have refrigeration aboard?" No, you respond. With that the skipper throttles off and raises his middle finger as the crew lines the rail and drops trousers for the full salute………Nice.
Oh come on now... why help someone who can't repay you with a cold beer....?
Old 03-03-2014, 14:43   #50

Boat: Westerly Sealord

and also why would you want help? As you say... rising tide, kedge her off.... I'd be too embarrassed to accept a tow on those conditions... esp if I had no cold beer aboard...
Old 03-03-2014, 14:43   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Oh come on now... why help someone who can't repay you with a cold beer....?
LOL…….Yes its a good point. Better yet is to raise your glass of 30 year old scotch and toast all of those bare arses as they motor off…...
Old 04-03-2014, 04:13   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
......................... Picture this scenario……..Nice beam reach into the bay. Ahh but you cut it just a little too close and she nudges her keel into the sand. As you sit there waiting for the rising tide another sailboat motors over to render assistance. First question……"Do you have an engine aboard?" No……. "Do you have refrigeration aboard?" No, you respond. With that the skipper throttles off and raises his middle finger as the crew lines the rail and drops trousers for the full salute………Nice.
I hope that this imagined scenario is not an expectation made from any posts here. I remain defending those that choose to sail with or without engines. Just as it is not proper to to suggest those with engines are less skilled, it's wrong to suggest those that have engines are rude.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I hope that this imagined scenario is not an expectation made from any posts here. I remain defending those that choose to sail with or without engines. Just as it is not proper to to suggest those with engines are less skilled, it's wrong to suggest those that have engines are rude.
No……I was just having a bit of fun with the "thread creep." I still firmly believe that sailors of all persuasions are the finest lot around. Its just sometimes you wouldn't know it by reading the CF.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2014, 07:32   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I few years ago a suffered a complete engine failure. I spent a couple of months cruising full time without an engine. It gave me a deep respect for those that elect to do this via choice.

I spent most of my two months frustrated, scared, or frequently both emotions together.

Hats off to those that do this full time, but don't underestimate the considerable skill and patience necessary.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:55   #55

Lin & Larry,

I just wanted say a quick thank you for taking the time to start this thread and for your years of inspirational and educational teachings. Without your books I may never have found the relationship with sailing that I so enjoy.

Cheers and Thanks,
Bill
Bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:06   #56
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I few years ago a suffered a complete engine failure. I spent a couple of months cruising full time without an engine. It gave me a deep respect for those that elect to do this via choice.

I spent most of my two months frustrated, scared, or frequently both emotions together.

Hats off to those that do this full time, but don't underestimate the considerable skill and patience necessary.
Did similar, would add that it instills a deep routed instinct to always be up wind and up tide. On a boat that goes upwind like a tumbleweed anyway Not something I'd do again by choice by an intensive learning experience

PS, did you find you picked your anchorages *very* carefully?

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 14:46   #57
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter

I originally started this thread in the hopes it would get folks thinking about ways to keep cruising onward in spite of engine problems. Reason, one of the saddest trendsI have been noticing in recent years is summed up in the statement - "Cruising is fixing your boat in a series of exotic places." Folks end up stopped in hot humid ports waiting for parts, when they'd rather be wandering through beautiful less in habited islands enjoying exploring, skindiving, and relaxing.
As I stated in a post in the engineless cruising thread, our style of cruising is not for everyone - it worked for us and the reasons are well laid out in Herb McCormicks bio-As Long as It's Fun.
Do we feel using an engine is somehow less macho, or makes someone less of a sailor? Definitely not - anyone who actually gets out and crosses oceans - has really accomplished something special. The real issue is - as stated in the article posted as the start of this thread- knowing how to use your sails when your engine quits could turn engine shut downs into a minor nuisance and might even save your cruise and your dreams.
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 15:01   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
I originally started this thread in the hopes it would get folks thinking about ways to keep cruising onward in spite of engine problems. ......................... The real issue is - as stated in the article posted as the start of this thread- knowing how to use your sails when your engine quits could turn engine shut downs into a minor nuisance and might even save your cruise and your dreams.
Thanks for the restatement of this honorable purpose. As someone who uses all the tools of cruising,- sails, engine, generator, drifting, oars, dinghy, kedge, refrigerator/freezer, GPS and swim fins, it's good to not be considered a weaker or less noble cruiser!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
Lin & Larry,

I just wanted say a quick thank you for taking the time to start this thread and for your years of inspirational and educational teachings. Without your books I may never have found the relationship with sailing that I so enjoy.

Cheers and Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-03-2014, 21:54   #60

who's this Lin Pardey dude and what does he know about sailing anyway?
p.s. I'd be glad to tow any engine free sailboat into harbor who wants a tow--thats what engines are for-short hauls- no big deal.
mousenik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, engine