Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 23:17   #61
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,807
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousenik View Post
who's this Lin Pardey dude and what does he know about sailing anyway?
p.s. I'd be glad to tow any engine free sailboat into harbor who wants a tow--thats what engines are for-short hauls- no big deal.
These 'dudes' have earned their stripes :

"Lin and Larry Pardey are among America's (and the world's) most knowledgeable and recognized cruising sailors. They are known as "America's first couple of cruising." Together, Lin and Larry have sailed over 200,000 miles, including two circumnavigations east to west and west to east aboard self-built, wooden, engine-free cutters under 30 feet. Author of a dozen books, countless magazine articles, and co-creators of five cruising documentaries, Lin and Larry have shared their sailing experiences with tens of thousands around the globe prompting many to take up the sport and live the dream of the cruising lifestyle. Their motto has always been, Go simple, go small, go now!"

__________________

__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:44   #62
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: Engine-free Cruising

I've been reading As Long As It's Fun.

It raises questions.
__________________

__________________
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 13:33   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
Re: Engine-free Cruising

__________________
mousenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 14:03   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,918
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Not that it makes any difference but Larry Pardey is a Canadian as far as I know.
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 15:09   #65
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,807
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Not that it makes any difference but Larry Pardey is a Canadian as far as I know.
If so, they must have jumped ship .
I just took that paragraph directly off their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousenik View Post
Just wanted to get in before you had any less than polite replies.
SWL x
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 15:19   #66
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,441
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Not that it makes any difference but Larry Pardey is a Canadian as far as I know.
I thought America (aka "the Americas") went from Patagonia to the Arctic?

Even "North America" includes Mexico, but some definitions, and Canada by all, no?
__________________
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 15:38   #67
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,947
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I thought America (aka "the Americas") went from Patagonia to the Arctic?

Even "North America" includes Mexico, but some definitions, and Canada by all, no?
Off topic but never mind...
Tell a Chilean that you are an american and they will just look at you and say.. 'so am I.....'
Bit like saying you are a european...no?
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 19:59   #68
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Off topic but never mind...
Tell a Chilean that you are an american and they will just look at you and say.. 'so am I.....'
Bit like saying you are a european...no?



Maybe if you were from a large country in europe called "The United States of Europe".
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 20:57   #69
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Campbell River, BC
Boat: Union 36
Posts: 80
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
The real issue is - as stated in the article posted as the start of this thread- knowing how to use your sails when your engine quits could turn engine shut downs into a minor nuisance and might even save your cruise and your dreams.
So true and a great reminder in this age of convenience. However, regardless of the quality and level of regular maintenance, redundant systems etc we all know that "convenience" will (not may) let us down from time to time. Thank you Lin & Larry for an excellent post. It's the basics that just may save the day. If we take the time and make the effort to learn......and practice....practice. Cheers
__________________
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:46   #70
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,441
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Maybe if you were from a large country in europe called "The United States of Europe".
I doubt if even the largest country in Europe would be so presumptuous as to name themselves that way, but if they were allowed to get away with that, I think Europeans from other nations would give them a PARTICULARLY hard time if they then took the name "European" for themselves.

It has always struck me as odd, to talk of
"THE United States",
given that there is another
"United States" in NORTH America,
namely Mexico.

Each of them can really only claim to be
"ONE of The United States of (North) America"

But I guess I must have a peculiar sense of what is odd, because I don't seem to recall ever hearing anyone else making this point.
__________________
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:51   #71
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,947
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
But I guess I must have a peculiar sense of what is odd, because I don't seem to recall ever hearing anyone else making this point.
We are not alone..... I come across it quite often in the southern bit of america... usually when I say something like 'I have an american friend'....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:05   #72
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,441
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Getting back to engine free cruising:

It strikes me that, for people like me who enjoy the problem-solving aspects of trying to do without an engine, within the bounds of what is sensible:

I've been thinking recently about engine cooling systems, and thinking I might arrange some sort of ad-hoc daytank as an alternative to the salt water inlet, for the occasional blockage situation (of which I've been involved in a couple over the last three weeks) where this might save the day.

And it struck me that an engine which is rarely used needs to be particularly reliable, and should ideally not require lots of maintenance, or be complicated to troubleshoot.

I've always liked the simplicity of raw-water cooling, but of course such engines don't much enjoy the way the cooling passages gradually occlude. Plus they tend to run too cold.

Nevertheless my next boat will feature a raw water cooled engine.

So it struck me that one possibility to get a reasonable outcome -- and a fringe benefit, from an ad hoc, but pre-plumbed 'daytank' such as the galley sink, would be to take advantage of how easy that would make it to fresh-water flush the cooling circuit, even at sea, after the rare occasions such a "show-pony" of an engine was used.
A person looking to really pamper their engine might even heat up some water prior to starting their little jewel !
This sounds like a lot of trouble to go to, but some might find that to be a way of exploiting their own natural tendency to seek the easier path, in order to tip themselves into finding ways of doing without that engine, when otherwise the 'convenience' of pushing the button might trump the potential satisfaction and learning opportunities of not doing so.

A bit like the more subtle arts of good parenting ... except this is self-parenting.

It's an extension of my intended strategy of fitting smaller engines than have become fashionable, which has the fringe benefit of discouraging their use when there is plenty of wind.

I'm not trying to force this mindset on anyone who doesn't find it appealing, so please save your injured rebuttals for someone who is trying to start a new religion.
__________________
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:06   #73
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I doubt if even the largest country in Europe would be so presumptuous as to name themselves that way, but if they were allowed to get away with that, I think Europeans from other nations would give them a PARTICULARLY hard time if they then took the name "European" for themselves.

It has always struck me as odd, to talk of
"THE United States",
given that there is another
"United States" in NORTH America,
namely Mexico.

Each of them can really only claim to be
"ONE of The United States of (North) America"

But I guess I must have a peculiar sense of what is odd, because I don't seem to recall ever hearing anyone else making this point.




If you were an American, you would realize that this is not odd. It's "manifest destiny". The rest of the Americas just THINK they are free and independent countries. Really they are ours or soon to be ours. We've always believed the new world belongs to us-all of it!
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:08   #74
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Getting back to engine free cruising:

It strikes me that, for people like me who enjoy the problem-solving aspects of trying to do without an engine, within the bounds of what is sensible:

I've been thinking recently about engine cooling systems, and thinking I might arrange some sort of ad-hoc daytank as an alternative to the salt water inlet, for the occasional blockage situation (of which I've been involved in a couple over the last three weeks) where this might save the day.

And it struck me that an engine which is rarely used needs to be particularly reliable, and should ideally not require lots of maintenance, or be complicated to troubleshoot.

I've always liked the simplicity of raw-water cooling, but of course such engines don't much enjoy the way the cooling passages gradually occlude. Plus they tend to run too cold.

Nevertheless my next boat will feature a raw water cooled engine.

So it struck me that one possibility to get a reasonable outcome -- and a fringe benefit, from an ad hoc, but pre-plumbed 'daytank' such as the galley sink, would be to take advantage of how easy that would make it to fresh-water flush the cooling circuit, even at sea, after the rare occasions such a "show-pony" of an engine was used.
A person looking to really pamper their engine might even heat up some water prior to starting their little jewel !
This sounds like a lot of trouble to go to, but some might find that to be a way of exploiting their own natural tendency to seek the easier path, in order to tip themselves into finding ways of doing without that engine, when otherwise the 'convenience' of pushing the button might trump the potential satisfaction and learning opportunities of not doing so.

A bit like the more subtle arts of good parenting ... except this is self-parenting.

It's an extension of my intended strategy of fitting smaller engines than have become fashionable, which has the fringe benefit of discouraging their use when there is plenty of wind.

I'm not trying to force this mindset on anyone who doesn't find it appealing, so please save your injured rebuttals for someone who is trying to start a new religion.



Nice. Not engine-less, but less engine.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:02   #75
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Engine-free Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
SNIP

And it struck me that an engine which is rarely used needs to be particularly reliable, and should ideally not require lots of maintenance, or be complicated to troubleshoot.


SNIP
Another solution is to start the engine once a week, or at least once a month. I do that not only with the engines on my boat but my Honda 2000 and the Honda on my diving hooka as well.
__________________

__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, engine

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generator off the Main Engine Possible? Honey Ryder Engines and Propulsion Systems 35 29-10-2013 12:24
Battery Bank Size? Falshator Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 59 07-09-2013 16:19
The Right Way to Run a Diesel off-the-grid Engines and Propulsion Systems 80 09-12-2012 19:06
Which Engine? Charlie Engines and Propulsion Systems 30 11-11-2012 07:51
The Real Lifonomics of Sailing / Cruising drew.ward Boat Ownership & Making a Living 35 23-08-2012 23:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.