Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 10:36   #31
Registered User
 
cajucito's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tipperary & Dublin Ireland
Boat: Beneteau 44cc
Posts: 81
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

When you buy something like this you have to consider what you are paying for.The piece of software or hardware device is only a fraction of the value in what you actually get. If the support is good like from Peter in Edo or Waut in Brookhouse, you are getting a huge resource of expert knowledge worth many times what you pay for the licence or magic box. We are all using their jigsaw pieces to build our unique systems on our particular boats which are all different. Small companies where people but their hard cash into companies like EDO or Brookhouse or Actisense deserve full support of the Cruising Comunity. So let's stop complaining about silly weaknesses or shortcommings in software or hardware devices built specially for us Sailors. Buy the products Pay up and give your feedback to help the developers progress their products. You will rarely be dissapointed
__________________

__________________
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 13:35   #32
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Well I certainly don't agree we should blindly give money to anyone calling themselves a small business and then take whatever we are given and shut up about it.

Perhaps you missed that this program isn't working correctly for many of us, has significant bugs, and hasn't been updated for a year. Version 1 is the entirety of the output from this company. The developer had stopped responding to emails, and appears to have abandoned it.

I think we have plenty reason to question the product and complain about its current state.

I have financially supported many small businesses just starting out. The difference between those and this one is responsiveness and a clear effort at moving forward at some pace.

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 15:40   #33
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Petersburg
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,880
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

I posted some time ago that I was having issues with this and was told by the developer it was me.

IMHO CF has an obligation to check new products like this before letting them advertise. There are plenty of techies and semi -techies that would gladly test new software.




Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 16:18   #34
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Are they advertising here? I use ad blockers so wouldn't see that.

However, I don't think CF should be the first line in determining this type of thing. Instead, they should only respond to unscrupulous or false marketing.

I don't think EDO meets this criteria . I just think they just bit off more than they could chew and are now defunct for all practical purposes.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 21:20   #35
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Petersburg
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,880
EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Yes they do advertise.

And while there is no legal obligation, "best practices" would be to do some vetting. The cost would be $0.00
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 22:21   #36
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,737
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Are they advertising here? I use ad blockers so wouldn't see that.

However, I don't think CF should be the first line in determining this type of thing. Instead, they should only respond to unscrupulous or false marketing.

I don't think EDO meets this criteria . I just think they just bit off more than they could chew and are now defunct for all practical purposes.

Mark
What makes you think they're defunct? The website is up and functioning.

It would be a shame if they really are defunct. The instruments are beautiful and informative. My Android copy works fine; the only complaint I have is that you have to reconnect it every time.

It is, however, a niche product, not much good for the cockpit, in my opinion, where most people will want to use it. It's brilliant for the nav table, however -- as they've shown in their advertising photos. This would be an application for quite large boats, mostly, I think.

For the cockpit, the problem is that the instruments are not designed to be seen from far away, and also -- hardware. The author of this software -- if he's still in business -- might consider selling this as a hardware product, with some kind of rugged, waterproof, hard-wired device which could be mounted at the scuttle or behind the helm. The graphics would have to be adapted for longer distance visibility. This would be a bomb, I think.

I've used mine on a waterproof Sony tablet in the cockpit but the instrument graphics are just too tiny to use unless you have the tablet in your hand. When sailing hard upwind (when this program is incredibly useful) I never have a free hand always available for this. Also, the battery runs down pretty fast if the display is always on. And if you were to keep it plugged in, in becomes non-waterproof, as you have to open the charging port.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 04:38   #37
Registered User
 
cajucito's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tipperary & Dublin Ireland
Boat: Beneteau 44cc
Posts: 81
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

I solved the landscape issue by running it on my chart table laptop and then using vnc to wirelessly relay the screen to the Samsung tablet which is powered and in a waterproof enclosure in the cockpit.It's Brilliant and seriously useful as the pc ver allows you to resize and alter the layout of all instruments. Yeah it's got a few issues but I'm confident these will be solved in time.
__________________
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 05:37   #38
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Petersburg
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,880
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajucito View Post
I solved the landscape issue by running it on my chart table laptop and then using vnc to wirelessly relay the screen to the Samsung tablet which is powered and in a waterproof enclosure in the cockpit.It's Brilliant and seriously useful as the pc ver allows you to resize and alter the layout of all instruments. Yeah it's got a few issues but I'm confident these will be solved in time.


This sounds like a slick set-up! What enclosure do you use?


Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 06:08   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What makes you think they're defunct? The website is up and functioning.



It would be a shame if they really are defunct. The instruments are beautiful and informative. .

What I said was that I considered them defunct for all practical purposes.

My opinion is based on them releasing v1 a year ago with no updates since. Meanwhile several of us have experienced severe bugs that have been identified and reported with seemingly no work done to fix them. And the author of the app has stopped responding to my emails, as well as in this forum.

So to me, a buggy product from an unreachable company that has shown no forward development in an unusually long time... is defunct in practice.

I would like to be wrong, because I am really drawn to the product.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 11:27   #40
Registered User
 
cajucito's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tipperary & Dublin Ireland
Boat: Beneteau 44cc
Posts: 81
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

It's made of teak.I made a mock up in mdf and gave it to a friend who is an expert woodworker.I'll take a pic of it next time I go to the boat and post here. the enclosure also houses a lot of other gadgets as well
__________________
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 11:56   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,537
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Maybe signal K will start coming of age soon and all this will opensource.
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 16:36   #42
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Interesting, I went to their website and under the "Discuss Here" link, it leads to this CF forum topic.

Seems like they can't even put together a discussion page on their own website.

Also, one of Dockhead's postings here has been cherry-picked and quoted right on their main page. Don't know if you are aware of this DH.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 04:09   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Boat: Ohlson 38
Posts: 7
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
EDO is stable on my iPad, but it does not handle the data steam from our Vesper wifi bridge very well. Many of the common data don't show up (depth, for example). I put in a bug report ages ago and got a reply that they knew what was wrong and would fix it in the next update.

There has never been another update, and like I said, it was ages ago (a year now?). I have written follow up emails, but they go unanswered.

I consider them a dead company now.

Mark
Initially I had the same issue, until I realized that I got pretty old nmea equipment on board (Speed, wind, depth) which all still transmit in V1.X format. Problem is that none these devices add a checksum at the end of each line/phrase. EDO nor e.g. FUGAWI can interpret these phrases anymore as they all expect > V.2.x which include the checksum. Peter, from Seamantec explained this to me. I installed an actisense NDC4 and - it works. The actisense will ad the checksum to each phrase on its own.

However the software does not work anymore on my app..... Too sad. Whats next then IREGATTA?
__________________
blueprint_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 04:16   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Boat: Ohlson 38
Posts: 7
Angry Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajucito View Post
When you buy something like this you have to consider what you are paying for.The piece of software or hardware device is only a fraction of the value in what you actually get. If the support is good like from Peter in Edo or Waut in Brookhouse, you are getting a huge resource of expert knowledge worth many times what you pay for the licence or magic box. We are all using their jigsaw pieces to build our unique systems on our particular boats which are all different. Small companies where people but their hard cash into companies like EDO or Brookhouse or Actisense deserve full support of the Cruising Comunity. So let's stop complaining about silly weaknesses or shortcommings in software or hardware devices built specially for us Sailors. Buy the products Pay up and give your feedback to help the developers progress their products. You will rarely be dissapointed
I am not worried at all about the 20 whatever I paid for the software, I totally agree it is a bargain. I have been in close contact with the CTO before the discussion on the product was moved to this forum. No complaints at the time, they have been really helpful. I just wished the product was supported any longer as I recommended it to quite some people plus - more important - I found it being ideal. Just sad that the line to them seems dead. Thats all....
__________________
blueprint_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 05:49   #45
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: EDO virtual instruments for sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint_33 View Post
Initially I had the same issue, until I realized that I got pretty old nmea equipment on board (Speed, wind, depth) which all still transmit in V1.X format. Problem is that none these devices add a checksum at the end of each line/phrase. EDO nor e.g. FUGAWI can interpret these phrases anymore as they all expect > V.2.x which include the checksum. Peter, from Seamantec explained this to me. I installed an actisense NDC4 and - it works. The actisense will ad the checksum to each phrase on its own.



However the software does not work anymore on my app..... Too sad. Whats next then IREGATTA?

Ours is all relatively new N2K gear.

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men, rum, sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virtual Passage mikereed100 Navigation 3 30-01-2009 20:45
Virtual Voyage caught on web cam knottybuoyz Navigation 4 24-10-2008 06:11
"Virtual" Marine Yard Sale & Auction - Books and Equipment longonsilver Classifieds Archive 4 27-09-2007 20:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.