Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2012, 12:53   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Ebooks or Paperbacks on Board and Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoDave View Post
................I don't think there will be many paper books we take on board when we make the move. Probably only manuals.
When DevoDave refers to "when we make the move" this causes me to think of another factor. The move we make when cruising takes us along about thirty ports that we revisit and share some sense of community. We are familiar with book exchanges in most of these ports as well as other spots that we come across. If someone is "making the move" in a manner that takes them off to infrequent landfalls or where the local books are not in their language, then there is a far better reason to store books electronically.
Old 22-12-2012, 13:54   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Minus a cockpit full of spray my kindle holds up great. Sometimes I'll put it on a gallon zip lock bag or they sell "real " waterproof cases.

A kindle battery lasts, literally, maybe 100-200 hours of reading or a couple weeks, whichever comes first.

Zero problems in full sunlight. Seriously man, no kindle owner regrets their purchase.
You got that right!
Old 22-12-2012, 14:29   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

E-books. Weight.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 08:22   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

weight is not a problem in my formosa--she is way too light.
ebooks cost money. i pay 25 cents usd for my used books--no more then a dollar usd per book when i buy. i find free books in many places--i actually complete 1-2 books daily. is practical for me to read real books instead of investing in something that with my history of electronic toys will die in wetness....biig investment for the ebooks.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 03:52   #35

All the e-books that are past copyright i.e. all the classics are free. If you give your iPad or Kindle a bath, you still own all your purchased e-books and can download them again on the replacement. Of course, frequent bathing of electronic devices can be very expensive is usually not recommended.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 09:17   #36

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

I'm right there with Rebelheart on this one. The Kindle does a truly excellent job of being an easy to read "any book". Sure, you can read a book on most any device, but the e-ink display on the Kindle makes it a far more pleasant read. It's easy on the eyes and reads in any light. What I have not, as yet, figured out is how to give an e-book (that I paid for) to someone else. It seems to me that if the e-book publishers wish to discourage book piracy, this should be an easy thing to do. I can give you / trade my paperback, why not the e-book.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 10:53   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I bought someone the iPad mini for Christmas. I thought the mini would be too small (Jobs never wanted to sell a 7 inch tablet but he was wrong IMO like not having Flash on the iPad) but it is big enough to do video, email, and web surfing - basically anything the iPad does on a "personal" level.

The advantage is it is now similar to the Kindle in weight and size which was the biggest drawback of the iPad for reading. I have had the kindle app on teh iPad for ages so even though the Kindle will now do web - i think its days are numbered and it will end up with a small but loyal following. Some folks are just dedicated box type folks and that's OK.

I am using the iPad for everything and find new uses every day. Whether it's iPad or android I think tablets are going to win.

In regards to the cost of books. I also have my public library linked to the iPad and can check out, download and read the library titles from anywhere - so there is another free source for books.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 16:27   #38

Boat: Seawind 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
What I have not, as yet, figured out is how to give an e-book (that I paid for) to someone else.
Use CALIBRE to remove DRM protection. Also converts between the various ebook formats.
DevoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 16:29   #39

Boat: Seawind 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Sure, you can read a book on most any device, but the e-ink display on the Kindle makes it a far more pleasant read.
Absolutely spot-on.

It's also brilliant on battery life... I can go months between having to charge. (I have a Kindle touch, and leave the WiFi/3G turned off to save a fer ergs)
DevoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 17:22   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

WOW, I'm very impressed with the comments so far. And I concur that a kindle is great tool to read eBooks. One of many. Other devices do more, but a kindle is devoted to eBooks, it's main advantage being great screen, easy reading even in poor or strong light, long battery life.

For our Cruising Guides we recommend an iPad or laptop for better resolution of the color photos and maps.

Would like to thank those taking up on our Cruisers Forum Offer of two eBooks for the cost of one, just $5 for a practical book and a reading book. New Years Special ~ eBooks |

Smooth seas and safe adventures in 2013
Old 30-12-2012, 07:38   #41

I'm very happy with my Kindle too. As others have said it works much better in sunlight and is lighter than the IPAD with much better battery life. My girlfriend has an IPAD and Kindle and uses both for reading. But, only uses the Kindle on deck or on the beach. I would not want to be reading with the IPAD on some public beaches anyway because of possibility of theft. Kindle with a cover looks more like a book. Yeah a Kindle could be stolen too but, there is a $500 difference in price for a replacement. Little more of an ouch factor for the IPAD. I also like that the Kindle can fit in the pocket of my Columbia PFG fishing shirts that I pretty much wear most of the time. So I always have a book with me. I also like that I can use the Kindle charger and cable to charge my GoPro camera:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: GOOD TO KNOW: KINDLE AND GOPRO CAMERA CHARGING TIP
So when traveling there's one less charger to bring along.
Old 30-12-2012, 13:05   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
................. works much better in sunlight ......... lighter than the IPAD ........... better battery life.............. possibility of theft. .............. looks more like a book........... can fit in the pocket ............... So I always have a book with me...............there's one less charger to bring along.
For all these reasons I like the paperbck.
Old 30-12-2012, 14:19   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
For all these reasons I like the paperbck.
Capt. Force

Fair point! I guess at some point I will miss opening up a nice moldy paperback but, I doubt it. Don't get me I have nothing against printed books, I still read them too. But, with my book spaces already filled up on board. Having an e reader allows me to still carry thousands more without adding more weight and trying to finding space for time on board. I also find the Kindle easier to hold than even a paperback. Plus I find the ability to make notes and highlight book passages to a file a real convenient feature. Rather than marking up a book and then having to find it again. I also have some books in printed form on board and also have them on the Kindle. The International and Inland Navigation Rules for example. I like to review them from time to time when the mood strikes me and not have to go back to the boat to get the printed copy.
Old 30-12-2012, 15:10   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
.......................... with my book spaces already filled up on board. Having an e reader allows me to still carry thousands more without adding more weight and trying to finding space for time on board........................
This great volume of books is the big win with the eBooks. Thousands of books never comes to mind for us,- we usually carry a couple dozen and I'm only reading one at a time. We trade out our supply regularly, but if you wanted to keep a huge number of books, I can see that something like the Kindle would be best.
Old 31-12-2012, 07:16   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoDave View Post
Use CALIBRE to remove DRM protection. Also converts between the various ebook formats.
CALIBRE will not remove DRM, but there are downloadable programs that will.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote