Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 15:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter
Downloads or Hard Copies?

An audio publisher, New Street Communications - has released downloads of very nice readings of our first book, Cruising in Seraffyn and Herb McCormicks bio about Larry and I (As Long as It's Fun.) I am trying to get the publisher to put the stories on CD's. I think there are still people out there who would like solid copies - any opinions? Or are CD audio books out of date?

Thanks for the input.
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 15:28   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Downloads or hard copies?

Lin,

I used to listen to CDs while driving back in the 80s. Now I listen on my iPod. No more CD books for me!

p.s. really enjoyed the hard copy of Herb's book.
Old 24-07-2014, 15:45   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

CD's are far enough out of date that many car stereo's and computers no longer have the ability to play them at all. And it has been a decade since I have seen anyone with a CD "walkman". It has been many years since I used a CD for anything.

Audio files are the only way to go now for this - physical media is dead. I'm sure there are still some that use CD's, but the cost of producing and shipping must be a killer - doesn't make sense.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 16:49   #4

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

I agree with Mark. Audio and Ipods are the way to go especially for the boating community as downloads can be done almost anywhere where as getting post is another matter.

So I vote Download. Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 17:09   #5

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

I 4th the motion. eBooks and digital audio only for me. I'm an Audible guy.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 17:29   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not listen to CDs anymore. I download mp3 files.

I might be wrong, but protecting your files from being copied is a big problem when you want to use any easily readable format, like mp3.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 21:48   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I might be wrong, but protecting your files from being copied is a big problem when you want to use any easily readable format, like mp3.
On the other hand, impossible to prevent that on CD's also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 04:24   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I buy most of my audio books from Audible.com. They come in a protected format that plays only on a registered device (my iPod), so I can't share them with others.
Old 25-07-2014, 04:49   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

But this creates another issue: if a format cannot be read on any device, then you limit your market. Some huge markets are vastly non-iThing territories.

E.g. the EU, which is predominantly Android / PC world.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 05:09   #10

I suspect you're going to get a rather skewed response by asking this on an internet forum. My guess is that if you went down to the local F.Y.E. and asked the same question, your responses would skew quite differently. Indeed, the very fact that F.Y.E. still exists, and is doing a fair business, indicates pretty clearly that there are still plenty of people out there who want to buy "real" CDs and DVDs.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 06:06   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Hmmmm, I can't remember the last time I or my wife bought a CD for any reason. I certainly wouldn't choose that format. It just doesn't make sense to use a CD over digital media for most people. I can see carrying reference books in hard copy, but a physical version of digital media? Not any more.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:59   #12

Boat: In between boats

Hi Lin, As an out of the box idea, how about Flash drives? Amazon sells bulk 2gb flash drives beginning at a price of $2 per unit and up. You can just bake the price into your audio book. You can decide whether to lock the file to the drive or not. Either way, there should be enough left over usable space for your customers do do as they wish with the drive.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 17:49   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Downloads or Hard Copies?

Lin, there still are technoklutzes who would prefer CDs. Of course most of the millenials already think CDs belong with rotary phones and grandfather clocks.

Libraries still use the, but that's only because the publishers are all scared of digital rights management, and if you check out the CD audiobooks in any library? They are horribly published, every track on every disc numbered and named the same so that someone can't just copy them to a flash drive and listen to the whole thing without discs, without a lot of work.

CD sets are also expensive compared to downloads, no profit motive.

Folks who can't deal with downloads are a limited market. Sailors are a limited market. Throw in a few more limits...I don't see a lot of market for CDs. You could always have a dozen sets produced by burning them, gamble on that small inventory and see for yourself how long it takes to sell. If they sell fast, by all means, set up commercial production.

Some printable media, an inkjet printer that does discs, it should only take a couple of hours to make a small trial inventory.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 00:03   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

As an antique cruiser,

I wouldn't buy a CD, either. I like books I can hold in my hands. I can listen to audiobooks on the iPod, so even I don't need a CD. Exceptions made for exceptional music performances, rarely.

Ann
Old 29-07-2014, 08:16   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
An audio publisher, New Street Communications - has released downloads of very nice readings of our first book, Cruising in Seraffyn and Herb McCormicks bio about Larry and I (As Long as It's Fun.) I am trying to get the publisher to put the stories on CD's. I think there are still people out there who would like solid copies - any opinions? Or are CD audio books out of date?

Thanks for the input.
I would say that unless you are one of the increasingly few devoted to the CD format, you are going to either be "full analog" with a book, or "full digital" with an MP3 or equivalent file, Lin.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa