Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-07-2014, 12:03   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Downloads or Hard Copies?

In a way, CDs now suffer from the same problem as printed books: They take up too much space.

The first time I donated twelve feet of books (yes, a horribly disrespectful way to measure books) the recipient was delighted to get them. And I got back twelve feet of badly needed shelf space.

More recently I moved all my music (going back to the LPs on tape) from tapes and CDs to digital. I find myself technoshocked when I look at this one thumbdrive, literally the size of my thumb, that replaces a good SIX MILK CRATES? worth of physical media.

CDs? It could be worse, after all the original patent calls for them to be played only in sleds, and preferably stored that way as well. We know how long that expense lasted.

hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 06:03   #17
S/V Sjokolade

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

I will buy a CD at a concert from the artist, maybe I'd buy a CD at a boat show, but probably the book itself. I prefer my sailing books to be hard copy. Enjoyed Herb's book, nicely rounded picture, of course I talked to the three of you for a whole three minutes, but your story lives on in many conversations in my life and my head :-)

RolfP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:30   #18

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Another vote for download format over any other physical media. There are two basic reasons why I purchase a printed book over an ebook:
  1. The book is a reference that I will refer to repeatedly. I find it much easier find what I'm looking for in the TOC or Index of a printed book than using an ebook search or hyperlink features. Of course I only have a few reference books onboard.
  2. A book with detailed graphics. Even with the zoom feature on my Kindle, graphics are not very usable (My Kindle)
For everything else I want the book on my Kindle or Android phone. The only CDs I have on board are for backup of downloaded software. All my music is on my iPod(s). I do have a 100 or so movie DVDs, but I'd really like to recover that shelf space as well.

jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:40   #19

Boat: HR 40 - Auspicious

I rarely buy CDs. Either I buy a book on paper or an e-book. If I have to buy a CD (book or music) the first thing I do is rip it. A CD is an inconvenience, a space consumer, and I know that the price I pay includes the cost of materials and pressing.
S/V Auspicious
SSCA Annapolis Cruising Station
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:04   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As you may have noticed, a lot of the "poor graphics" on the old white Kindles was a limitation of the e-ink screen. It could only show 4 shades of gray rendering it useless for some types of material like photos and some illustrations. The new color Kindles are screamingly good displays, but they'll only last 8? 10? hours on a charge instead of four weeks.
But regardless of the display, I have found a lot of "simple" line illustrations, that should be incredibly clear when zoomed, simply crap out on e-readers. A lot of the authors simply are embedded the wrong kind of graphics. A lot of ebook material is simply out of print material the author dropped in a scanner and converted, and the images are always low resolution bitmaps that can't be zoomed in any useful way.

And the average customer really shouldn't have to know that's author-error, not a device or technology problem. Personally, when I am reading an ebook that has been produced poorly, I make sure to complain to Amazon. They do track complaints, and if enough people complain, Amazon might start acting as a publisher (i.e. supervising production and ensuring standards) instead of acting like a hoarder.

You also aren't limited to ebooks from Amazon. One of the things they don't bother to make a big deal about, is that you can transfer open-source materials (books AND music) to most Kindles and then share them freely. Of course most of the open-source means older material that is past copyright, but there are a surprising number of classics most of us have missed out on. And some odd gems, like PT Barnum's comments about not insulting the rubes, because that makes it harder to take their money.(G)

I wonder, if real book publishers could magically "lock" printed books, so you couldn't lend them to friends, how everyone would feel about that.

I think there's a way for at least some Kindle owners to "loan" some of their books, which become accessible only to that one "loanee" for a while. And then too, there's the free Kindle loans to Prime+Kindle members (must be both) which aren't top names but often are high second-tier.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 06:24   #21

E-books for me every time, but please, please don't go the Amazon route - there are many of us who don't for many reasons use kindle but go for e-book or pdf or any of the other e-book formats. With Amazon you are building out many would be readers.

ps I was reading Serrafyn's European Adventure last week.

olivert is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: