Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-12-2012, 00:20   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
Re: Captains/Owners - I Need Your Advice

I have a friend who spent some time recently as a nurse on a US navy organized medical expedition like you are describing. They generally operated ashore, and lived on the boat.

Another boat which might fit your needs is the Derek M Baylis--a Wylie 65 which sleeps 10 and is currently used as a research vessel

The Derek M. Baylis | Sealife Conservation

They would probably welcome a serious offer buy the boat--send me a PM if you are interested.

Old 26-12-2012, 19:53   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

I was very excited to see your website. I met an opthamologist who was doing work thru the South Pacific in the late 80's. I would like to setp something like what you are proposing. It seems to me that you would be good to look at the 2013 Puddle Jump list Pacific Puddle Jump Fleet 2013 This will give you a good idea of what type of boats sail across thefrom North and Central America to the South Pacific. I would love to chat with you via email. Please send me a PM with your email and I will respond.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 11:43   #33
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I would love to chat with you via email. Please send me a PM with your email and I will respond.
Perhaps this is a little (in fact WAY TOO) nosey - but I'd be so interested to see the conversation you guys have... does it HAVE to be in private??

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 14:22   #34

Boat: 27ft sloop long keel

Red Tape!!!!!!!!! do they know how long it takes red tape to degrade in the environment?????? I wonder what %tage of my charitable donation to save kids in the world actually goes to save kid's.
Old 01-01-2013, 14:31   #35

Boat: 27ft sloop long keel

would various sizes of the shipping container be able to be fitted out as required and dropped off at strategic places to store meds etc and provide treatment rooms accomodation etc. and use local boats ferry's etc to transport patient's to them? it might be more cost effective but hey I am just thinking out loud.I do that a lot OK
Old 02-01-2013, 11:02   #36
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumnavbute View Post
would various sizes of the shipping container be able to be fitted out as required and dropped off at strategic places to store meds etc and provide treatment rooms accomodation etc. and use local boats ferry's etc to transport patient's to them? it might be more cost effective but hey I am just thinking out loud.I do that a lot OK
We are actually using shipping containers to deliver the medical supplies to our remote islands (20 and 40 foot containers). We've looked into the idea of prebuilding such "health clinic" containers, but getting them delivered to a remote island would be very difficult (or extremely expensive). Keep thinking out loud... I like you ideas.
Sea Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:11   #37
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

SaucySailoress with Cruisers Forum suggested I post our recent "Sea Mercy Update" within this thread to give those interested an update on our progress.

Sea Mercy Update - January 2013

Thank you for your recent support and interest in Sea Mercy and our Floating Health Care Clinic (FHCC) for the remote islands of the South Pacific. In appreciation of your time and support and our goal and determination to always keep our operations transparent, we wanted to take a moment to look back at Sea Mercy's accomplishments in 2012 and to share with you our plans for 2013 and beyond. In addition to the overview below, we have included a link to the January Sea Mercy Newsletter (PDF version) for your review and to share with your friends and contacts.

In this email you will find the following:
2012 Overview
2013 Plans
How You Can Help

2012 OVERVIEW

With our leaderships' prior non-profit organizational development experience, we estimated that it would take 1-2 years to develop and secure the approval of the Sea Mercy program from our island nation partners, and acquire the required medical supplies and health care volunteers needed to staff and support the ongoing operations of a remote floating clinic. Once those three goals were achieved, we expected operational funding and vessel selection could follow close behind. To our surprise, we accomplished all of our island partner, medical supply and volunteer goals within the first 4 months of Sea Mercy's launch in September 2012!

Achieving these program goals early allows us to now focus the majority of our efforts on the FHCC vessel selection, it's transport to Tonga, and the operational funding required to support it for 5+ years.

Goals accomplished since September 2012:
Initial Island Nation Partner Approval
Kingdom of Tonga (1 primary island and 176 remote islands)

Medical Supplies
We have partnered with MedShare, giving us access to and the transportation of all the medical supplies we need to support our ongoing operations (Tonga and other future island nation partners)

Health Care Volunteers
Our pool of available volunteers is fast approaching 200 health care professionals. This allows us to not only meet the needs of Tonga, but also our future island nation programs

2013 PLANS

With three of our top five goals met in the first 4 months of operation, we will be focusing our early 2013 efforts on operational funding and FHCC selection.

Operational Funding
Before we can secure and staff a FHCC vessel in Tonga, we need to have secured the ongoing operational (fuel, food, supplies, transportation, etc.) funding required to operate our FHCC. Our staff will be submitting applications for grant and foundation funding to government and private organizations (3-12 month approval cycles) for not only our initial Tonga program, but for future island nation Sea Mercy FHCC programs.

FHCC Vessel Selection
Determining the size and type of vessel for our FHCC has proved to be our biggest challenge so far. Understanding how best to evaluate and treat the remote island patients is crucial (on land or on the FHCC vessel) and making that decision will determine the vessel selection. Once a vessel is selected (if not already stationed in the South Pacific), it will require the vessel to be delivered to the region (3-12 month process) as seasonal weather allows.

2013 Tonga Trial Operation
To better understand the conditions and determine the actual needs for our Tonga FHCC program, we will be scheduling a 1-2 month Sea Mercy Trial Operation from June to August of 2013. Utilizing a small team of US and local health care volunteers and staff, we will be chartering a local vessel in the Vava'u island group. Our goal will be to visit as many of the remote islands as possible and to meet with the key Tongatapu and remote islands health ministry and clinic staff. Based on the information gathered, we will then develop the 2014 full launch program.

HOW YOU CAN HELP

Sea Mercy is not a one time program, but an ongoing program that we anticipate operating for 5-10+ years. Grant by grant, foundation by foundation, we are striving to develop the ongoing resources needed to support and expand the services offered through this program. But with major grant approval cycles ranging from 12-24 months (many requiring a minimum of 2-3 years prior operations), our need for short-term funding is crucial.

Spread the Word
On the last page of the attached January Sea Mercy Newsletter there is an article about the "Spread the word about Sea Mercy" program that we hope you can take the time to read and participate in. The article suggests several ways that you can help us make a difference as well as some incentives for those who are able to help. You can also visit the Volunteer Resources page on the website for more information and links to promotional materials.

Thank you again for your support in 2012 and we look forward to an incredible 2013 and beyond. Please feel free to email us with any questions or suggestions.

All the best to you in 2013!

Richard & Stephanie Hackett
President & Founders
Sea Mercy
www.seamercy.org
info@seamercy.org
Old 02-01-2013, 11:29   #38
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I was very excited to see your website. I met an opthamologist who was doing work thru the South Pacific in the late 80's. I would like to setp something like what you are proposing. It seems to me that you would be good to look at the 2013 Puddle Jump list Pacific Puddle Jump Fleet 2013 This will give you a good idea of what type of boats sail across thefrom North and Central America to the South Pacific. I would love to chat with you via email. Please send me a PM with your email and I will respond.
Great suggestion Charlie! Perhaps the timing would be perfect for one or more of those making the jump to help out. You can email me at info@seamercy.org.

thanks again.
Old 18-10-2013, 16:58   #39

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Why are you trying to do this independently? Lots of NGO's are all ready in this area and have at least experienced if not solved the problems? Why not partner with someone like Medicine Sans Frontiers.
Is the idea to set up a clinic on the island or to have a floating hospital? Getting volunteers to transport staff and supplies to an island clinic would be much more 'do-able' than converting a boat. For floating hospital you are going to need something like a 50-70ft ship with professional crew.
The idea of providing care on a 45ft sailing cat is just not practical. Could hose staff and maybe do some first aid but would be very hard to make it safe for anything acute.
Possibly a better way to go is to fund local training and help them to set up there own clinics rather than 'parachute' in foreigners who don't understand the local traditions and culture. Partner with a med school maybe?
I love the intention!!!
Old 20-10-2013, 21:38   #40
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Why are you trying to do this independently? Lots of NGO's are all ready in this area and have at least experienced if not solved the problems? Why not partner with someone like Medicine Sans Frontiers.
Is the idea to set up a clinic on the island or to have a floating hospital? Getting volunteers to transport staff and supplies to an island clinic would be much more 'do-able' than converting a boat. For floating hospital you are going to need something like a 50-70ft ship with professional crew.
The idea of providing care on a 45ft sailing cat is just not practical. Could hose staff and maybe do some first aid but would be very hard to make it safe for anything acute.
Possibly a better way to go is to fund local training and help them to set up there own clinics rather than 'parachute' in foreigners who don't understand the local traditions and culture. Partner with a med school maybe?
I love the intention!!!
Roland,

Thanks for the advice. I would strongly suggest taking a look at our website as what you are suggesting is exactly what we are doing. We deliver the health care volunteers, medicines and supplies to the remote islands, treating them onshore (not on the vessel). We are not a floating hospital, but a floating clinic, so the level of services we deliver is basic health care evaluation, treatment and health education. Major or emergency cases are documented and/or primary facilities (hospitals on the main islands) are contacted to arrange transportation of the patient. This allows us to work from vessels of 45' and up. We currently have a 45, 60 and 65 foot catamaran for 2014, with 2 additional catamarans scheduled to join us in 2015. No need for a professional crew, just a owner/captain who is looking to "sail with a purpose" in the South Pacific. We'll take care of the fuel, food, insurance, and other fees in appreciation of their hearts and for putting their boats in harms way to help these remote islanders.

With regards to Doctors without Borders, we have reached out to them. There has been no response. They also have a different agenda and are currently not working in the South Pacific. Even if they were (which I wish they would), they would have the same challenge that our island nation partners health ministries have. It is not a matter of a lack of health care workers, it is a lack of a service delivery vessel that can provide the ongoing and consistent care that their remote islands need. While some remote islands are relatively close to the main islands (nullifying the "remote" classification) and transportation, others are hundreds of miles apart and rarely see local or international health care professionals.

I think the best perspective is, if what Sea Mercy provides was not needed, we would not have our current island nation partners so excited about working so closely and supporting our programs (with others waiting for us to bring the program to them). We are only limited by the number of volunteers able to join us and the number of vessels looking to sail with us.

Come and join us!

Rich Hackett
Sea Mercy
www.seamercy.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: