Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-12-2012, 12:44   #16
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

Re: Captains/Owners - I Need Your Advice

Great advice and input everyone! Thank you!
Sea Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:49   #17
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Would it be possible to use multiple boats? Each boat could carry one or two health professionals and their equipment. Organise it like a rally calling at each island.

If it were possible to register the yachts involved at one or more of the island nations it may simplify things, though this could need legislation to be passed in one or more parliaments.

If you could underwrite the risks involved it would make it much more attractive.

There are many smaller boat owner that may be interested, but I don't think there are that many big cats.
Might be difficult (like herding cats) trying to keep all the vessels together, but a possible idea. Trying to cover the fuel, food, supplies, medication, etc. could be magnified with this approach vs. one vessel.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59   #18
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
From a medical point of view...... how much red tape for licensure of the medical professionals in each locality AND how much MORE for the medications?

As to the vessel..... forget sail, for your application a powerboat like a large trawler with fuel, water, stores, capacity is the only way you are going to provide for that large a crew for 3+weeks. Not to mention generation of power; many medications require refrigeration, and even minor surgery requires light, and sterile equipment. Were I you, I'd look at surplus fishing trawlers; lots of room, multiple BIG generators, and a very large range.
We have already been given the approval from the Kingdom of Tonga's Health Ministry (minor details still sorting through), so the red tape should be greatly reduced. Refrigeration is crucial, so we have covered that side as well (generators). As far as sail vs. power, the cost of fuel is killer out there and with each vessel operating 7 months straight, going from island to island, the cost could overwhelm our budget. The sailing side could greatly reduce those costs.

Great feeback! Thanks!
Old 05-12-2012, 23:29   #19

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Mercy View Post
Might be difficult (like herding cats) trying to keep all the vessels together, but a possible idea. Trying to cover the fuel, food, supplies, medication, etc. could be magnified with this approach vs. one vessel.

Thanks.
To take this idea further, the "fleet" could be organized by functional capability - for example, one boat might have greater power generation capabilities and therefore carry the critical medications. Another boat might be ideally suited for a large crew, and utilized as a bunk-boat. Maybe a third has a large galley, and acts as the chuck-wagon boat... how to get between boats though...

A complicated undertaking to say the least.

Curious, what kind of sailing vessel can bunk 10 people, carry that kind of equipment, and still move under it's own sail? Further, what kind of draft would such a boat have, and could it ever get close enough to the beach of such an island to be useful?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50   #20
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I have read your web site, I am curious are you also promoting your Christian faith along with providing health services?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:19   #21
Goodwill Partner

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I have read your web site, I am curious are you also promoting your Christian faith along with providing health services?
Captain58,
I appreciate the question. Sea Mercy was created as a non-profit charity organization, not a religious organization. Although my wife and I's roots and many of our motivations are influenced by our Christian faith, Sea Mercy was not created with a "missionary" purpose, but as benevolent service. Our selection of volunteers, sponsors or partners is never based religious beliefs or affiliations, but on their abilities and heart for those in those in need.

I hope that answers your question, if not, please let me know in greater detail so that I can.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33   #22
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you for answering my question. I have looked at what you are trying to acheive, frankly I believe your approach while well intentioned, is impactical on several issues. #1. Vessel size desired in relation to number of personnel desired aboard, and logistical issues for long term operations. You emphasize cats as being the platform for your operation; to realize your goals with that or any other type vessel you wish to employ, it would be far more cost effective and efficient to obtain a vessel that generally fits your requirements, and then customize it to fit your mission parameters. Use these vessels as "Mother ships." and coordinate with the cruisers to provide the interface between the beach and the vessel providing services, and health care providers could be carried ashore to evaluate the needs of different individuals, and the cases that require the most help could be transported to the vessel for help. You may be able to centrally locate the vessel and service several islands, depending on the distances between the islands you are working. A 100' vessel could provide all the housing, operating theaters, dentist working area, plus the supporting crew needed for the operation. Power generation, and refrigeration would not be an issue, and you have the capacity to provide nominal support to the cruisers that would be assisting in on going operations. All the best.
Old 08-12-2012, 22:06   #23

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

As has been stated, I think such a boat would have to be purpose-built and purchased.

This 60' catamaran, as an example, has the same 8 passenger capacity as a 40' catamaran common with retiree cruisers.

I've seen some cats which have an "extra" crew bunk up front on each hull - a space otherwise used as storage lockers - but those bunks are clearly not designed for long term liveaboard.

You would also have to recruit all couples on this trip, or very open-minded individuals willing to share a bed with a coworker. A standard leisure catamaran has all double-beds - no singles (except possible the "crew cabin" mentioned above).

The problem with the crew bunk design is that such a large crew would need significant storage - and storage is exactly what you are giving up to get those last two "cabins" installed.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09   #24

I can see your biggest hurdle is having the volunteer vessel being able to comply with the regulations. Most privately owned and operated vessels would and could not comply without substantial expenditure and skipper compliance. See International Maritime Bureau (IMB)

Should you find a commercial vessel that can comply, then the owner would have to take the vessel away from its normal daily business to assist forfeiting contracts or goodwill, both of which are cutthroat in the islands .

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:18   #25
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The advice you were given to use third party private vessels is way off. Really you need to equip and operate a vessel specifically suited to what you want. You will not get what you want , specified in the private market.

secondly you must ensure that the operating licensing requirements and insurance are in place to operate correctly. Not just to meet the minimum requirements either. Since in your sceanario you are compensating the skippers. They will have to be commercially licensed and carry appropriate passenger insurance and depending on the flag of the vessel they will have to meet specific flag legislation and certification to carry passengers. Most leisure vessels require considerable modifications to pass such certification

Note that internationally 12 passengers are the break point after that you are a " ferry"

I cannot see the route you've suggested being possible without breaking the law.

Equip a vessel hire a licensed captain etc. the world unfortunately now requires credentials.

Good luck, a revist to the drawing board might be Neccessary

Dave
Old 10-12-2012, 07:09   #26
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i have been researching large cats for several years.
there is one boat that would work for your mission.
a converted passenger cat.
there is currently no pleasure cat designed to sleep 10 people.
i own plans for a 65' cat that sleeps 8, 2 per bed.
you will not be able to sail a commercial passenger cat. HOWEVER...
with a 80' commercial cat you could cover the entire 80'X30' area with solar panels.
providing a TON of power for refrigeration, lighting, air conditioning.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=77676&url=
i would be interested in helping if i am able.
i have limited sailing, boating knowledge. but i have been a carpenter/electrician/mechanic/light welder for a long time.
my wife and i love to volunteer.
Old 11-12-2012, 23:02   #27
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As long as you are not carrying passengers for hire, the ferry designation does not apply.
Old 16-12-2012, 23:57   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

I second the suggestion to get in touch with the Pacific Voyaging Canoes. They are 72 ft cats, sleep 14, and are probably looking for a new mission after their successful journey. They might even come with operating funds, and the good will they have built up in the islands will help overcome the devils that lurk in the details. They will probably need gensets for the refrigeration, but that is an easy add-on.
Old 17-12-2012, 05:19   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

I have no experiance of the South Pacific - but I would have thought the logical solution would be to create facilities ashore, ideally permament but failing that (initially?) only as and when needed (when personnel are available).

The idea being to remove the need to have an actual Floating Health Care Clinic (FHCC), instead the visiting vessel(s) are simply re-supply ships for both equipment / supplies and personnel.......which means that the type and size of vessel(s) (and frequency / dates of visit) is not so important (in any event, even a 60 foot catamaran is likely not going to the greatest / most stable of places to treat folks on - leaving aside any difficulty of getting folks onboard / ashore).

Having some facilities ashore would also give the opportunity to train up some of the locals (locally and elsewhere) so that they can both assist visiting proffessionals (reducing the numbers needed to visit?) as well as meeting more basic everyday local needs, including preventation / education. Of course all that may well already be covered!

Anyway, good luck.
Old 17-12-2012, 06:00   #30

I was a peace corps volunteer for two years on an outer island in Kiribati. I can't speak to the legal/insurance restrictions, but have a few cents on logistics. I wouldn't get stuck on a cat for deck space and shallow water. Every inhabited island i visited had a method for accommodating supplies from a deeper draft vessel. No one is subsistence living anymore and rely on rice and kerosene at least from supply ships. If they live on a smaller island, they ferry via canoe or small boat to a larger supply point. Generally, if you can get the word out 3 weeks ahead or get your schedule on the local radio, the people will come to you in a deeper harbor. Also, deck space is irrelevant. You can use a community church or meeting house as a field hospital. We had a traveling dentist who did this. These services are needed, but please leave the bibles aboard. Peace corps is pretty well spread out in the pacific and can be a resource for organization in country.

Best of luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: