Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruisers Forum Sponsors > Vendor Spotlight - Great Deals for CF Members!
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 08:36   #1

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia
Capt. Jack Klang's Singlehanded Docking & Sail Trim Video

SINGLEHANDED DOCKING & SAIL TRIM
52 Minute How-to Sailing Video
Windows Media (WMV) and QuickTime (M4V)
Video Download: $9.99 | DVD $19.99 pus s&h
From TheSailingChannel.TV

Another exceptional instructional sailing video by U.S. Coast Guard certified skipper, Captain Jack Klang. Singlehanded Docking and Sail Trim follows on Capt. Jacks highly successful Cruising Tips. In this video, Capt. Jack combines innovative classroom models with real world sailing situations to explain the skills and techniques required for single handers to dock with confidence in any wind or current, trim cruising sails for power and speed, and retrieve a mooring alone. In a bonus section, Capt. Jack explains the A-Sail and demonstrates how a crew of two can fly, trim, and retrieve an asymmetrical spinnaker, making light air cruising faster and more fun.

Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:57   #2

Re: Capt. Jack Klang's Singlehanded Docking & Sail Trim Video

When viewing preview of single hand docking I noticed that Jack wraped the line around his hand a good way to lose hand /fingers if line gets pulled.Especially if hands are wet and the wind is blowing.Not very safe
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 15:22   #3

Boat: Catalina
Re: Capt. Jack Klang's Singlehanded Docking & Sail Trim Video

I have learned a lot from Jack over the years. Some of it came in handy last year during a rescue.
cptratbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 16:43   #4

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia
Re: Flying an Asymetrical Spinnaker

Yesterday, we flew an Asym aboard a Hunter 34 on the Chesapeake Bay in 5 to 15 knots. We had a crew of three, which made it easy. The sail was originally from a Pearson 30, so it was a bit small for the Hunter, but it worked great. We used the sail as a large genoa, broad reaching with just the Asym, then close reaching with the Asym and the main. This is definitely not just a downwind sail! Looking forward to launching the Asym on those light wind, August days.

It has a sock for easy launch and dowse. We didn't have a good tack location at the bow, so we just tied a tack line to the stem. We ran a spinsheet through a snatch block at the stern of the port rail, the side from which we launched the Asym. When we tacked, one of us moved the snatch block and spinsheet to the starboard side while the other moved the sock around the forestay then relaunched the sail. Nice to have the third person at the helm. However, with the proper tacking rig and continuous spinsheet running port and starboard, can see how a short-handed crew of two can launch, trim, and retrieve an Asym without difficulty.

Thank you Capt. Jack!

Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 17:04   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
I would like to thank Tory Salvia: i had a problem with the downloading . I didn't expect to get an answer and help on a saturday afternoon, but Tory gave me help up to the evening. Problem solved. Great service!
Alec
Old 16-02-2013, 17:05   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clark View Post
When viewing preview of single hand docking I noticed that Jack wraped the line around his hand a good way to lose hand /fingers if line gets pulled.Especially if hands are wet and the wind is blowing.Not very safe
I made the same remark!

Tags
Docking, sail