Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 23:36   #76

Re: CT Owner Group

Aloha Rag Baggers,
We have a CT 42 Mermaid Ketch as well. I am also interested in getting rid of the iron fuel tanks in the port and starboard settee benches to make more room for more storage. We would also like to go with one big belly tank. We looked at Moller but the size we want will not fit through the companion way. We are pretty good with fiberglass and thought building a custom glass tank with a large inspection port. I’ ve seen articles on the West systems sight and it looks straight forward. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Keelhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:28   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the Forum Keelhauler...
I haven't any experience putting diesel in FG tanks.. my "gut" feeling tells me no.. but that is largely uneducated..
If a single tank is to large to fit though your companionway, what about 2.. I like knowing I have separate sources of fuel.. like water i guess.. if there is a catastrophic failure with one tank or its contents i still have fuel..
Pretty good crowd here on the forum.. I expect you'll get loads of good advice.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 19:31   #78

Aloha James

well as luck would have it I was able to source a Moller 150 Gal tank that might work. 66.69"L x 33.44"W x 17.63"H. The objective is too place the fuel tank in the Bilge with the water and hold tanks on top, thus keeping the heavy weight down below. At 150 Gals this will give me an extra 1,041.45 lbs. of ballast. Add 100 gals of water and you have another 834 lbs. with a current ballast ratio of 39.33% the additional weight in the bilge would increase it to a 47.20% Bal/Disp. ratio.

You mention multi tanks and water in the fuel. Water enters the fuel by three ways 1.) Condensation 2.) leaking fuel fill caps and vent tubes 3.) poor fuel quality during refueling. Metal tanks are prone to condensation due to hot and cold temperatures creating moisture on the walls of metal tanks. Plastic tank are less prone to this. Alge X international has a great on board fuel polishing system. https://www.axi-international.com/fp...enance-system/
or you can build your own. Additionally adding AFC 705 or 805 will increase the quality longevity of you diesel. The main thing if you have metal tanks is to keep your tanks full and polish your fuel at a scheduled interval.

Anyway I will see if this tank is going to work out,

Thanks,
Old 07-08-2018, 04:33   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelhauler View Post
Aloha James

well as luck would have it I was able to source a Moller 150 Gal tank that might work. 66.69"L x 33.44"W x 17.63"H. The objective is too place the fuel tank in the Bilge with the water and hold tanks on top, thus keeping the heavy weight down below. At 150 Gals this will give me an extra 1,041.45 lbs. of ballast. Add 100 gals of water and you have another 834 lbs. with a current ballast ratio of 39.33% the additional weight in the bilge would increase it to a 47.20% Bal/Disp. ratio.

You mention multi tanks and water in the fuel. Water enters the fuel by three ways 1.) Condensation 2.) leaking fuel fill caps and vent tubes 3.) poor fuel quality during refueling. Metal tanks are prone to condensation due to hot and cold temperatures creating moisture on the walls of metal tanks. Plastic tank are less prone to this. Alge X international has a great on board fuel polishing system. https://www.axi-international.com/fp...enance-system/
or you can build your own. Additionally adding AFC 705 or 805 will increase the quality longevity of you diesel. The main thing if you have metal tanks is to keep your tanks full and polish your fuel at a scheduled interval.

Anyway I will see if this tank is going to work out,

Thanks,
Great.. i hope it fits..
What I meant was multiple tanks for both water and diesel .. If something goes wrong with one then there is a second..
My fuel tanks are aluminium and are kept full.. partially to help with condensation... but also because I live in Beirut and keep it ready to go at all times... haha
Old 09-08-2018, 13:01   #80

Yeah I suppose you would have to ready to go with all the unrest over in that part of the world. From Yemen, Did you sail through the Suez Canal or go around the horn? Which Marina are you at, Light house, Zaitunay Bay or Movenpick? how are the slip rates? Zaitunay looks high tone and fancy. There is a lot of yachts in the Waterfront City Marina. Do you get to cruise the Med a lot? I here Croatia is a cruiser paradise. Have you been over there yet? Have fun and Take Care.
Old 09-08-2018, 22:09   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelhauler View Post
Yeah I suppose you would have to ready to go with all the unrest over in that part of the world. From Yemen, Did you sail through the Suez Canal or go around the horn? Which Marina are you at, Light house, Zaitunay Bay or Movenpick? how are the slip rates? Zaitunay looks high tone and fancy. There is a lot of yachts in the Waterfront City Marina. Do you get to cruise the Med a lot? I here Croatia is a cruiser paradise. Have you been over there yet? Have fun and Take Care.
I never brought the boat to Yemen.. I did have a couple others there.. a 20 meter fishing Dhow that I modified to carry cargo to the island of Mayun (Red Sea) and a old Riva 34ft that I bought in Monaco and had some friends motor down to Aden... then i and some other friends motored up the coast to Mukalla then loaded it on a Dhow and shipped it to the island of Socatra where we used it for fishing and diving...
The sail boats is in La Marina (water front city) in Lebanon the rates are unreasonably high but there is a huge lack of marina space here... When i was looking for a place in early 2003 Zaituna bay was still under construction and didn't return my calls..
We day sail a lot.. and have sailed her to Cyrus and Turkey.. Croatia is next.. I've heard some stories of cruisers being denied entry for not having a licence so i just got my ICC and IYT Yachtmaster coastal..
Old 10-08-2018, 13:54   #82

Hmmmm I wonder about US Coast Guard documented vessels if they would be turned around in Croatia. Have you been to Iskenderun Turkey? The last time I was there was in 1991. Had a blast there and the sea food was out of this world. The prawns were huge and tasty over the grill. I was there for about a month and had a great time there. Although now may not be a good time to go with the Turkish president going off the reservation, LOL. Well take care and good talking to you.

I wonder how many CT42 Mermaid Ketch's are still out there? Does anyone know how many where made?
Old 11-11-2019, 08:54   #83

Does anyone know where I can buy 1 3/4 id fuel fill hose for my ct34 thanks
Tachiao34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 19:25   #84

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachiao34 View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy 1 3/4 id fuel fill hose for my ct34 thanks
I don’t know anything about the quality of this hose but I found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Herco-1-3-4...cAAOSwfl9XA92O
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 20:36   #85

Hello everyone
Is this group still active? I am a new owner of a 1989 CT49 and performing some restoration work on her.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20200927104828.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	224403  
akero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 20:47   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not sure.. but i did get this message..
I have a 1978 CT 48..
Old 29-09-2020, 20:57   #87

Hi James, great to know! I am based in Dubai.
akero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 21:29   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Im usually in Beirut.. but in the states for a few more weeks..
Is your boat also in Dubai?
What sort of work are you planning on doing to her?
Old 30-09-2020, 02:14   #89

Hello all great to here of another ct owner I’m here in the states what all work are you planning
Tachiao34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 06:21   #90

Boat: CT47 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by akero View Post
Hello everyone
Is this group still active? I am a new owner of a 1989 CT49 and performing some restoration work on her.

Cheers
There are approximately 16 of these hulls in existence. 2 of them are in Fort Pierce, Florida. Mine is one of them, undergoing a second major slow motion refitting. Where are you?

I have done a bunch of things to my CT 47 (same as your hull with the transom leaned forward) Tall masted center cockpit ketch. The original title says "swan rig". Yes I am overpowered, I spend a lot of time with a 1/4 furled Genoa and single reefed main....

Tell me what you are planning, I will tell you how I solved the problem (or maybe vice-versa). I see the teak deck, for instance..... What kind of condition is that in?

Do not be afraid to tear things up near the center of the vessel. I replaced the engine, which involved tearing out the companionway cabinet structure, (bevcause the engine was supersized) and the surrounding structure did not care. These vessels are built very sturdily. I still climb the same companionway ladder, fitted into the same sole support pegs with the center cabinet structure gone!

Take a good look in your steering compartment. Everything has got to be stainless, the best stuff, or it will all rot away. That steering compartment is like a corrosion testing center. It always has rain and or salt water in there, and there is no way out for the water, and it is in a constant vapor cycle. Or maybe they fixed that in 1989. Mine is an 81, and I had to burrow thru the bulkhead and cut limber holes into the central bilge area.
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote