Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2014, 04:55   #61

Re: CT Owner Group

My CT-49 was designed by Kaffman and Ladd and built in Tai Chou yard in Taiwan.
gmetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 02:01   #62

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi James of Arctic Lady, I looked at your (boat's) photos, very nice!
However the CT 48 that is advertised for sale in Vanuatu is definitely different from yours:
* this one is not a double ender: it has windows (too big to be called portholes) in the stern
* has a clipperbow (your's is more spoon shaped)
* has a cutter rig (yours's is a ketch)
* long fin keel with rudder on skeg (your's is long keel with rudder on the end)
* the only other photos I could find (similar to that so called "CT 48" boat in vanuatu) is an expired/sold boat with "de Valk" brokers in Holland
* "sailboatdata" has a drawing of a similar yacht (with windows in stern and clipper bow, long fin keel, with skeg), but rigged as a ketch.

So for me the questions still remains: what does a CT 48 looks like. If it is like Arctic Lady, then the other ones may not be CT 48s.......
HankOnthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:16   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Mine is a 78 and as you're seen very classic lines…but I think I've seen a 79 that was totally different and still called CT48 with much more modern lines…like the one you've described..Guessing it depends on the year?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:51   #64

Boat: Formosa 41

Mrs Flare and I are the owners of a Formosa 41, S/V Mistress.

Our boat came with the belly fuel tank removed and I have a question regarding the dimensions of that iron fuel tank.

Can anyone here with a CT 41 or a Formosa 41 give me the dimensions of their belly fuel tank?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58   #65

I cant, but one thing to keep in mind...: how much fuel do you really want to carry? It depends on where you are cruising I guess. But I have found that often I have too much fuel capacity... the fuel gets old and I use very little. Just a thought. You could put two standard size plastic smaller tanks in the big tank cavity. Not even fill the second one unless you are taking a long trip. Various forms of dunnage/wood or other means can be used to keep the tanks in place.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:51   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have removed the pos pick up truck fuel tank in the belly on my formosa 41--i will be building a new tank, and i will post the pix and info and specifications as i go.
hoping to be able to put 100 gallons, but i am not sure what i can squeeze into the space.. is gonna be fg tank, fit the boat kind, non removable. built inside boat, as there is no way to put more than 44 gal tank thru any of the hatches, as far as i can see....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 14:28   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I cant, but one thing to keep in mind...: how much fuel do you really want to carry? It depends on where you are cruising I guess. But I have found that often I have too much fuel capacity... the fuel gets old and I use very little. Just a thought. You could put two standard size plastic smaller tanks in the big tank cavity. Not even fill the second one unless you are taking a long trip. Various forms of dunnage/wood or other means can be used to keep the tanks in place.
Mrs. Flare and I did a trip from Long Beach, MS to Massachusetts with a 15 gallon fuel tank of which, heeled over, about 9 or 10 gallons were useable. This meant adding a 5 gallon jerry jug worth of fuel every 6 to 8 hours under power. As a result of our small fuel tank and the fact that we don't like to run the engine anyway, we tend to wait for the wind to come up or ghost along at 3 knots rather than turn on the engine.

Two smaller tanks in the belly is a great idea I hadn't thought of. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have removed the pos pick up truck fuel tank in the belly on my formosa 41--i will be building a new tank, and i will post the pix and info and specifications as i go.
hoping to be able to put 100 gallons, but i am not sure what i can squeeze into the space.. is gonna be fg tank, fit the boat kind, non removable. built inside boat, as there is no way to put more than 44 gal tank thru any of the hatches, as far as i can see....
Thank you Zeehag. I'll look forward to pics and specs.

I have a new yahoo email address but the links to sign up for the Leaky Teaky Yacht Club aren't working for me. The link you have in your signature also does not work for me.

In the meantime I have remembered my old yahoo email address and I've been guessing at the password. I'll get it soon.
Old 17-01-2018, 12:46   #68

Hey All! I am a new CT 42 Mermaid owner. Couldn't be happier with the boat itself but I've had a few issues so far.

The main one is that the steering cut out on us at about 1 am in the middle of the atlantic. Almost had to involve the coast guard but we were able to 'repair' it in 18 knot winds and get to a dock where we have been working for three days on repairing the Wagner A1/W hydraulic steering pump. I even hired a mechanic, shamefully. When it didn't work my crew and I took it apart and rebuilt it. We still have a little bit of a leak coming out of the shaft to the wheel. We added another seal and covered it in gasket maker.

Has anyone had this problem? Know how to fix the steering? Know what hydraulic pump would make a good replacement?

Thank you!!
diodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 12:56   #69

email to leakyteakyyachtclub@yahoogroups.com
has 2 letters y .. i keep forgetting the second one as it is bulky, some....
Old 11-03-2018, 20:53   #70

Greetings,

I will be looking at a “1973 Taiwan 42 Ketch” next week. I cannot find any details about a 1973 made formosa boat. Looks like they were made in 1972 and is actually a 41. Is that correct. I am new to this.

You seem to be knowledgeable regarding these boats.

This is what I am looking at: Taiwan Clipper 42 Ketch
djtemple50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 03:25   #71

Hey Diodio,
Brnstrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 18:16   #72

So, to start and finish my thought 3 months later, (I got sidetracked a bit,lol)
Hi Diodio, how did you make out with your steering? I had a leak in mine and had to doubble or trippple the turns of the wheel to turn the rudder. Not fun, but wasn't in the seas you were in either. Cheers.
Brnstrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 18:22   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Mrs Flare and I are the owners of a Formosa 41, S/V Mistress.

Our boat came with the belly fuel tank removed and I have a question regarding the dimensions of that iron fuel tank.

Can anyone here with a CT 41 or a Formosa 41 give me the dimensions of their belly fuel tank?
i donot know dimensions but it was not iron. all my tanks were stainless steel, taiwanese which was made in usa, not china.
each of these is different.
any plastic tank you find for that space is not going to work.boat wants the weight.
i had a welder come in and fabricate for my boat a new belly tank of stainless steel. heavy and perfect for boat. holds approx 60 gallons as opposed to the 44 gal inferior too light made boat rolly pickup truck tank dumped in here before po purchased it. cost me 450 usd. worth every penny. has baffles and inspection port. beautiful job.

please see pix at www.sksolitarybird.org pix are in my website.
Old 09-07-2018, 18:23   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtemple50 View Post
Greetings,

I will be looking at a “1973 Taiwan 42 Ketch” next week. I cannot find any details about a 1973 made formosa boat. Looks like they were made in 1972 and is actually a 41. Is that correct. I am new to this.

You seem to be knowledgeable regarding these boats.

This is what I am looking at: Taiwan Clipper 42 Ketch
error page not found. i gather boat was sold.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:12   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i donot know dimensions but it was not iron. all my tanks were stainless steel, taiwanese which was made in usa, not china.
each of these is different.
any plastic tank you find for that space is not going to work.boat wants the weight.
i had a welder come in and fabricate for my boat a new belly tank of stainless steel. heavy and perfect for boat. holds approx 60 gallons as opposed to the 44 gal inferior too light made boat rolly pickup truck tank dumped in here before po purchased it. cost me 450 usd. worth every penny. has baffles and inspection port. beautiful job.

please see pix at www.sksolitarybird.org pix are in my website.
I designed my own belly tank. I built a mock-up out of luan plywood to make sure I could get it through the companionway and under the floor. I had it built by Triple M Plastics in Maine. Inspection port, baffles. It holds about 88 to 90 gallons.