Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2011, 10:48   #16

Re: CT Owner Group

My CT44 (Yves Marie Tanton) was my favorite mono ever. What a design! Essentially a heavy built canoe! Fast, stable, wonderful layout...38 or 39 feet of waterline...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 12:05   #17

Boat: CT47 Ketch

I looked at a "Flying Dutchman 50" before I bought the CT 47/49. I think it was a Tayana build. Your CT 44 sure looks like a slightly smaller poor man's Flying Dutchman. Underwater she appears about the same as the 47/49 except for the keel takes up a bit more of the overall length. Incidentally, in "Boatwatch" master guide to the sailboats of the world, your Tanton 44 and my Kaufmann and Ladd 47/ are adjacent, as CT 44 and CT 47. Small world eh?
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 05:35   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ct were built in the FORMOSA yard. was ct by formosa yachts.a this point , i know as much about cts and formosas as anyone you met , mebbe even more-what i dont know i can find in less time than you can imagine, after all. i refitted my own formosa 41, which i have owned now for 3 yrs, and boatsat for 3 yrs before then. ..
I'm not sure what your saying here Zee....I know that when our boat was being built CT and Formosa were mortal enemies.

Not sure how a CT can be built anywhere else then at there own yard.

I only know about our boat and when/where she was being built.

And for the record, I think you should most definitely be allowed in the club.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 06:45   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

some of th ct 41s were built by formosa yachts, some built at ta chiao, some at..... so there were some ct by formosa 41s built --i believe they were done before 1975. after 1975, there seemed to be some disturbances and things changed--is difficult to get some of the history--i learned this when i was travelling online-- some is in the formosa owners group, which is now leaky teaky yacht club group on yahoo.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 07:01   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Thanks Zee
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 08:15   #21

Hey controversy! Cool... Part of the problem might well be that Formosa was the name of the island at one point.

Yes, I am that old.

I would vote to include anything built by the FREE CHINESE in the owners group. You probably can't separate all the craftsman at any rate, some of them might have gone back and forth as boat orders showed up.

I am tinkering with the idea of having the CTOWNERSGROUP website be fundamentally pictures, line drawings, specifications and such. Then attach to the leakyteakyyachtclub as the social arm of the group.

Some people need information. Some people like to attend parties. No body likes to do all the work required to catalogue all the pictures and documentation that can pile up. Managing an email forum can be a significant job as well.

So I am going to join leaky teaky and see how that goes. When I get a spare second, I will grab the ctownergroup name, and I will set there and point to leaky teaky for all conversation, but I will be willing to serve as a repository for the various models that were built on that Island.

DonB - CT 49 TM Ketch
Old 25-07-2011, 09:29   #22

I fell in love with Formosas and CT's. Almost bought a Formosa 41 a few weeks ago, however I was out bid. I just want to hitch a ride for a day or two. If anyone in the Southern California would be interested in taking out a new-bee I would be vary thankful.
Tony Wiley
bumoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 11:46   #23

I always loved those Seawolf and Seatiger ketches. (the 41/44 model with the coachroof lowered in the center portion) Great layout. Almost bought the SW once but discovered much of the boat appeared to be chopper gun layup! The CT yard didnt build that way but I think the Formosa yard did that a lot from what I've seen. Gotta be the prettiest boats around though...
Old 26-07-2011, 07:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumoko View Post
I fell in love with Formosas and CT's. Almost bought a Formosa 41 a few weeks ago, however I was out bid. I just want to hitch a ride for a day or two. If anyone in the Southern California would be interested in taking out a new-bee I would be vary thankful.
Tony Wiley
Perfect condition CT41 is in the Long Beach Sailing Club. Make yourself a deal with Francis and Bill They are in this forum, but I can email them if you are interested. Their vessel is in better than new condition.

DonB
Old 26-07-2011, 07:43   #25

formosa and ct were not chopper gun layup before 1980. they did use matt more than roving, but i have seen no chopper gun bs on mine. but then mine is a 1976, and hull is 2 inches thick. the sea wolf and sea tiger are 41 models. there is a sprit, not included in lod. but they ARE 41s.--
Old 09-11-2011, 15:57   #26

Boat: CT 42 Mermaid Center Cockpit

I have a CT construction question that someone might be able to help me with. i have been rebuilding our CT 42 Mermaid, it is a center cockpit model. i need to remove the hatch and can't figure out how. it has a fiberglass protective cover and no apperant way to just slide it off. am i going to have to saw off the back of the hatch to get it out?
Gray Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 16:53   #27

please see leaky teakyyacht club group in yahoo groups--write an email--i am sure someone has done htis--just dont know off hand --they are most helpful in dealing with the quirks of our boats....
Old 10-11-2011, 09:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
I have a CT construction question that someone might be able to help me with. i have been rebuilding our CT 42 Mermaid, it is a center cockpit model. i need to remove the hatch and can't figure out how. it has a fiberglass protective cover and no apperant way to just slide it off. am i going to have to saw off the back of the hatch to get it out?
The companionway slider?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:14   #29

in removal of hatches, look for the teak plugs hiding screws....
Old 10-11-2011, 10:28   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gray Wolf.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote