Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2014, 07:21   #1

Boat: Antares 44i
Best Spare Parts Source?

We want to build up our spare parts kit before we head outside the USA. Marine parts we can't get at the regular hardware store, like Volvo engine (exhaust elbows etc) and Kohler genset spare parts (impellers, fuel & oil filters, belts etc).

Can anyone recommend a source (online preferable) for ordering that is reasonably priced?

We're familiar with West Marine, Defender and Chapmans. They're better than certain online stores we've come across (who add insult to injury by putting a 25% restocking fee on top of expensive prices ). Wondering if any of you have a recommended go-to source?

Thanks in advance!
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 07:39   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Best Spare Parts Source?

Nothing Volvo branded is "reasonably priced", but Ive had very good service from Marine Parts Express.

Also contact Marine Warehouse. Don't bother with their web page just email them with what you need, they can source most anything.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 07:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Nothing Volvo branded is "reasonably priced", but Ive had very good service from Marine Parts Express.

Also contact Marine Warehouse. Don't bother with their web page just email them with what you need, they can source most anything.
thanks so much, BelizeSailor
Old 30-07-2014, 07:51   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Marinepartsexpress.com for Volvo. Also, it is a good bet your Volvo is really a Perkins (I think all of the small ones are), so Transatlantic Diesel is a good source if you cross-reference the part (or it is an easy one like "elbow"). Perkins parts are typically less expensive.

Impellers, filters, belts, etc are not manufacturer-specific. You can easily cross-reference these and get them at any autoparts store. In pretty much every country.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 07:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Marinepartsexpress.com for Volvo. Also, it is a good bet your Volvo is really a Perkins (I think all of the small ones are), so Transatlantic Diesel is a good source if you cross-reference the part (or it is an easy one like "elbow"). Perkins parts are typically less expensive.

Impellers, filters, belts, etc are not manufacturer-specific. You can easily cross-reference these and get them at any autoparts store. In pretty much every country.

Mark
Thanks Mark,
We're checking out those resources now.
Really appreciate these suggestions! Keep 'em coming. Prices vary so much.
Old 30-07-2014, 09:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

+1 for marineparts express. However you're gonna cry when you see the price of things like exhaust elbow, heat exchanger etc - ouch.

For items like alternator and starter look for automotive equivalents.

Also consider how you will store these parts on-board. Hint - well oiled, WD40 or cosmolene or Vaseline etc (water barrier) wrapped in wax paper and zipped in ziplocs is a good start. Nothing worse than pulling a spare part from "deep storage" in the bottom of a locker somewhere and find it pre-corroded for ya...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 09:04   #7

If the heat exchangers are shell and tube: Good Guys at SENDURE & Heat Exchanger Source & Flix
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 10:23   #8
tnf

You can get Volvo Penta OEM spare parts (especially service parts) from Swedish Biltema. The prices are very reasonable compared to original parts and being sold in the Sweden/Nordic countries where we have very strong consumer protection and Volvo comes from, they have to be good quality. At least I have never had any problems with any VP parts they sell.

Sök - Biltema

or english via google translate. (Google translates SEK into GBP, but the amounts are still Swedisk Kroner. 1 SEK = 0,145 USD) :

https://translate.google.com/transla...nta&edit-text=

They have no webshop and sell only in the stores, but it should be possible to have someone shop and ship it to you if the price difference is substantial and you need many parts. For export you can deduct 25% VAT that are included in the prices on the web.
tnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 11:40   #9

Thanks Stu & Ex-Calif too. These comments are all super-helpful! We're checking everything out and will definitely lube up and ziploc those spare parts so they don't corrode.
Old 30-07-2014, 12:14   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Also, I've made some good scores on eBay in the past. Like a still in original packaging autopilot hydraulic pump motor for a fraction of RayMarine retail cost.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 15:22   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Which VP engine are we talking about here?
Like Mark said, a lot of Volvo Penta engines are re-badged Perkins.
I have the Volvo TMD 22 which was used in by Rover cars in the Montego, so a motor factor was a good place for parts.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 12:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
+1 for marineparts express. However you're gonna cry when you see the price of things like exhaust elbow, heat exchanger etc - ouch.

For items like alternator and starter look for automotive equivalents.

Also consider how you will store these parts on-board. Hint - well oiled, WD40 or cosmolene or Vaseline etc (water barrier) wrapped in wax paper and zipped in ziplocs is a good start. Nothing worse than pulling a spare part from "deep storage" in the bottom of a locker somewhere and find it pre-corroded for ya...
Advanced Service and Parts quoted over $1500 for the Kohler exhaust elbow. Youch! That's a big cry. There has to be a better price for the part, no?
Old 01-08-2014, 00:56   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Advanced Service and Parts quoted over $1500 for the Kohler exhaust elbow. Youch! That's a big cry. There has to be a better price for the part, no?
I am not good at the cross referencing. If ya post a part number I bet somebody would cough up a tractor part or something pretty quick.

The problem is the actual parts (like elbow) that make up the marinizing of an industrial engine are the rare stud and the manufacturers know it.

I have a dead elbow on my Volvo. I have access to a buddy with a machine shop and a welding guy. I am probably going to cash in a friendship chip to have him make one with square flange, Inconel tube and a water fitting. While he's at it I might have him make 2...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 09:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Thanks for the information

Tags
parts