Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2013, 07:02   #1

Antares 44i vs Privilege 445

Which boat is better off for me in these categories: Speed, Liveaboard, luxury, driving comfort, and seawrothiness. Which boat has a higher headroom?
Goldencrab95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 19:06   #2
Marine Service Provider

I like the privilege a bit more personally.
Old 09-03-2014, 18:27   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 30
Re: Antares 44i vs Privilege 445

We just purchased a 2002 Privilege 435 (same hull as the 445). We did not look at any Antares so cannot compare. This boat has been around the world once and across the Atlantic a time or two yet the hull is in great shape. No crazing in the gel coat except where there are a couple of small impact dings topsides. The fit and finish are great. Headroom in salon is excellent, but I am only 5' 10". Hulls have even more headroom. The center nacelle greatly increases the forward cabin sizes and affords plenty of room for the forward heads. Lots of cabinets/storage.
Old 09-03-2014, 20:40   #4

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I’m a bit surprised at the lack of responses to this thread. I’m just a casual observer – had reason to check out both recently with a friend. I like the following about the Antares:

Aft gallery – good size, good arrangement, bit more room I think
Shaft / skeg
Rear sugar scoops less steep – more useable
Larger internal gallery
Protected helm
Hard bimini (Privilege seem mostly to have soft version – correct?)
Nature light over hull sections

Privilege seems to have larger hulls – I suspect greater strength / storage but less speed.

Both such nice units. Older boats do not look dated. If buying new it’d be an Antares for me but second hand costs seem lower for the Privilege and that would probably guide me.
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 20:51   #5

Boat: St Francis 50

There's a reason Antares 44's hold their value - they're great boats with a strong owners group and great manufacturer's support.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:46   #6

Boat: Maine Cat 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames View Post
I’m a bit surprised at the lack of responses to this thread. I’m just a casual observer – had reason to check out both recently with a friend. I like the following about the Antares:

Aft gallery – good size, good arrangement, bit more room I think
Shaft / skeg
Rear sugar scoops less steep – more useable
Larger internal gallery
Protected helm
Hard bimini (Privilege seem mostly to have soft version – correct?)
Nature light over hull sections

Privilege seems to have larger hulls – I suspect greater strength / storage but less speed.

Both such nice units. Older boats do not look dated. If buying new it’d be an Antares for me but second hand costs seem lower for the Privilege and that would probably guide me.
After checking out the 2008 Antares 44i on yachtworld I would say the galley on the Antares is larger, the cherry wood finish is spectacular and it is much more expensive than the P445. The P445 appears to have more cabinetry. The P445 cockpit is a bit more appealing to me. Speed? No idea. Seaworthiness? Who knows.
Old 14-03-2014, 08:49   #7

Boat: Antares 44i

We have been aboard both Antares and Privilege. I agree with 12BCruzn, the cherry wood and finishing of the Antares are stunning and higher quality than the Privilege wood. Also, aren't the Privilege floors marine plywood only while the Antares has genuine wood floors that both look and feel extremely good.
Look at this Antares owner blog: s/v Field Trip There's a great example somewhere there showing the dad repairing a small ding on the steps caused by one of his kid's toys, teaching them to care for the fine wood.
I think both Antares & Privilege are well designed for liveaboarding, are luxurious, have cockpits and helms that can be enclosed, and are very seaworthy (both have circumnavigated).
The Antares seems more expensive until you look at what is included. They've thought of everything and constantly improve and upgrade their features (such as recent change to Simrad, Vesper Marine, etc).
One big plus for Antares - it has shaft drives not sail drives. These are much more expensive for the builder to supply, but less expensive and more reliable for the owner to enjoy.
Headroom is an interesting point. Are you looking at the owner version single forward cabin on the Privilege? This has lower headroom at the actual bed area (it's high headroom at the gangway, but you climb up some steps and the bed has much lower headroom - can't stand up at bed). The Antares has plenty of headroom in the master cabin, but the bed is against one wall, and there's a part of the hull to the right that prevents the person on the inside from easily exiting the bed and standing up without climbing over the person on the outside.
The single master berth that spans the beam is a big plus on the Privilege, especially given how the master berth on the Antares is one that landlocks one person against the inside of the bed. This is a big point of difference between the two boats.
Galleys - I personally prefer the Antares' galley to the Privilege 445- at least Privilege's galley up. Antares has a wonderful spacious functional attractive galley in the 44i that is down, but it's still very open to the saloon because there is no ceiling above the galley - it's open to the wide saloon roof, and there's an opening in the banquette so you can look from the galley into the saloon. The Privilege 45 galley up takes a lot of space in the saloon. It does leave more room down below on the Privilege, and lets you have more heads, or one mid-ship - if you want that, or bigger cabins.
The Antares banquette is large enough for two adults to each lie on it at the same time (each taking one part of the "L") - we tested it! The Privilege's rounded banquette, and one side being smaller, doesn't work as well for us because we want to both be able to recline to read a book, watch tv or nap - at the same time.
The cockpits of the two boats are quite different in configuration. The Antares has the unique feature of two high back seats next to the davits. We really like them, and the give much-needed extra seating, and good visibility in the 45' length. Also, the Antares offers an extra cockpit seat as an option that is on the opposite side from the helm. Once you try this seat, it becomes your favorite spot and I haven't seen it offered on any other boat.
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares, privilege