Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2011, 19:54   #16

44i owners forum

We are waiting for hull 4448. Still some work to do before we check out on careers, kids etc, so 4448 gets us in the water in 2013. Currently, no good place for owners and prospective owners to chat. This may be it. Planning on making the boat show">Miami Boat Show in a few weeks to sea trial "Leap of Faith". A shame the owners had to sell her, they seemed to be enjoying the life so much. Craig and Laurie's Blog linked to the Antares website (hull 4432) has also kept us entertained as they are making their way up the Brazilian coast after taking delivery in BA in December. Several of the diehard PDQ 44i owners have placed their boats on the market, moving on to the next chapter. Makes own ponder if the life on board may get tedious without the right combination of new destinations and friends to cruise with. I have studied these boats top to bottom, and although there is plenty of room for opinion, for two live aboards the 44i seems to be the most efficient, easiest to sail, safest, best quality boat for the money around.
Pairodocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 22:53   #17

Boat: St Francis 50
Pairodocs:
Congratulations on your choice - you are picking an extremely well built boat with outstanding after sales service.
Paul and Maureen on "Indigo"
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 23:27   #18

Boat: In my dreams
Pairdocs that is great! Have to give us an update of that sea trial. I've followed Chris and Erin on their circumnavigation. This is the Main Page

That must be exciting having a new boat commissioned. Have you been down to their factory yet? That is one of the things I like about the company is inviting you down to see your boat built.

Oh have you decided on a name yet?
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 05:41   #19

any 44i owners out there want to talk?

Planned on going to BA last December, but dates were changed then reinstated last minute and we couldn't turn our schedule around fast enough. We will go next opportunity. We have no name yet. Still working on something "inspiring" that we won't get sick of in a month, that my wife and I can both appreciate. On a side note, if anyone has connections to other 44i owners either currently on their boats or waiting in the queue, please tell them about this thread. It appears that the closer knit the 44i community becomes, the more enjoyable the ride once you get there.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:12   #20

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
I have been to BA a couple of times, and plan to go back soon as our boat is progressing. I will also be in Miamai, but only for the Thur Antares event and Friday.

A lot of owners follow these threads. I have talked to a number who follow, but don't necessarily post. The best way is to actually setup a formal Antares owners group. There are a number that folks have tried to start. Key point is getting the word out...and that is not hard if we can get this setup so Jeff & Rob participate. They are very busy, so not sure if they would endorse. Worth asking, as they are the best conduit for getting the word out about a forum in the future.

Mark
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 07:41   #21

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Antares owners group

mdsilvers,

If you would like to start a formal Antares owners group.
Let me know I can help you set up one catered to your boat.
Here is an example of one we have going.

Fountaine Pajot - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 19:56   #22

Antares Owners Group

I think setting up an Antares owners group would be tremendous. Many of us plan to live aboard, and many will be making the trek up from BA. That represents a huge lifestyle change. Living in close proximity on board with wife and/or family nonstop for months, learning Spanish/Portuguese, getting use to a new boat. Managing finances long distance, etc. How does the 44i handle day in and day out in all the different conditions. Is it better to get the Volvos or stick with Yanmars, Roller furling main or Main Tamer with standard reef, anyone get the dive package yet, or the self retracting doc power lines? Any extras or upgrades that should be added almost for sure? ...like AIS? I am a sponge waiting to absorbs opinion and information! Agree Jeff and Rob should participate from time to time if they can. It would only further their mission of service before and after the sale/sail. Ed
Old 31-01-2011, 07:25   #23

Cotemar thanks for your help. I will get this setup this week. Let me know your suggestions offline if u like. Thanks again!
Old 31-01-2011, 07:37   #24

Just joined this forum and found the information here very useful for someone like me new to sailing. I am considering the Antares 44i too, therefore starting a owner group will be great.

Bob
Bob Teoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 08:03   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Teoh View Post
Just joined this forum and found the information here very useful for someone like me new to sailing. I am considering the Antares 44i too, therefore starting a owner group will be great.

Bob

Welcome to CF Bob.

Lots of info here.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:52   #26

I will have the owners forum up and running by this weekend. Thanks cotemar for your help.

https://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39   #27
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Yes, thanks Cotemar and thanks mdsilvers for setting up a forum for a boat that is of interest to many on this site.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:12   #28

Boat: In my dreams
Yeah Thanks guys! A dedicated forum will be awesome! Oh and check this out. Think about the possibilities. Back to Basics -... | Facebook
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 19:46   #29

Hi Guys... Just joined this group & the "dedicated" Owners (wannabes) group, too. I've been seriously looking at the A44i for several years & hope to take the plunge later this year. Just a quick comment re: one of Pairodocs' questions - in-mast furling. In-mast furling has come a long way in recent years. Easy short handed, infinite reefing, furled sail protection... you know the list... makes it seem like a good idea. However, in mast systems have some serious drawbacks, too: Reduced sail area, difficult to adjust sail shape and, the deal breaker for me... the inability to reduce sail if/when there is a malfunction. Personally, I won't sail a in-mast system offshore although I've had it on my Jeanneau 49DS for coastal cruising. I recently upgraded to an in-boom system (LeisureFurl) which has all of the plusses of the in-mast system without the negatives. I will definitely have LeisureFurl installed on my 44i!!!
Wawho22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 13:55   #30

Re: Antares 44i Owners

Just wondering what sails you all carry/intend to carry... Do you stick with the "stock" sails or have you made changes? What combinations do you use for light/heavy winds? What would you do different if you had an unlimited budget?
Wawho22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares