Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 07:57   #16

Boat: Antares 44i
Re: checking in

Hi,
I had my boat in St.Lucia (Rodney Bay) last year and I had a management company taking care of my boat. They were very good, tell me if you may want their contact information.
best,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPIII View Post
Mark:
Good job on setting up the Owners Forum. We have Hull #4436 and I was just in Buenos Aires last week. Very exciting to see the progress. Here is our info:

Boat Name: to be named (very soon)
Hull: 4436
Email: neil.sullivan (at) thalhimer (dot) com

Current Location: Fredericksburg, VA.
Plans: We plan to begin our liveaboard life in Nov 2012. The boat will be ready late this summer and we plan to sail it to St Lucia for this winter...probably get down there a week per month as we are both still working. Then join the Atlantic Cup Rally in May 2012 from Tortola to Chesapeake Bay, near our home...fine tune the boat in summer 2012, then cast off Nov 2012 fpr points south.
Old 15-04-2011, 06:14   #17

Boat: Antares 44
Re: Antares 44i Owner Information

Roger: I would very much appreciate your contact info at Rodney Bay. A good friend from my hometown spends the winters there and is good friends w/ the manager of the marina....thats one of the reasons we chose that location......any contacts you have would be apprecitated.
CPIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 14:12   #18

I realize most, if not all, on this forum are current or soon-to-be owners of Antares purchased directly from the builder (either PDQ or Antares). Given a number of Antares which have recently entered (with some very quickly leaving) the brokerage market, I am considering this option. Naturally, one must compare all of the features/options available on a new-build with those present on a pre-owned yacht, which is pretty straight-forward stuff. Obviously, fit and finish from either builder appears to receive excellent owner reviews. I cannot, however, find any information with respect to any changes/upgrades in equipment now standard on the BA-built Antares, which may not have been available or included as standard on the Canadian-built 44i, nor overall pricing information on the 44i during the 2004-2006 time frame. (I am closely comparing the equipment specs of the brokerage yachts to those detailed on the Antares website.) If anyone can provide, or direct me to, this information, it would be appreciated. Also, Rhumb Line Yacht Sales appears to be the exclusive broker for PDQ/Antares; I would appreciate comments from anyone having experience with them. Thanks!
sloop6312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 04:36   #19

Boat: PDQ 44i

I hope this forum will allow owners to share ideas and experiences. We are very happy with our hull 23 (Canadian-built). Contact us at Onseabbatical@gmail.com
The Andersons
S/V Seabbatical
Guadeloupe FWI
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 21:20   #20

Where have all the Antares owners gone ?

Best,
Rich
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RichinBoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:00   #21

I just discovered this forum and think it is a great idea
We own Seabbatical, Hull 23, bought in Whitby in 2007, still in great shape and we really enjoy her. We cruised the US East Coast, Florida, Bahamas, and now we stay in the Eastern Caribbean. She is on the hard in Grenada for the Summer. Previously we left her in Wilmington NC, Nanny Cay, and Trinidad. We cruise about 3-4 months in the winter and spend the summers in Des Moines, IA. We enjoy meeting other Antares owners and would be glad to correspond with any who have a question or anything else. See you on the water!
Markham and Tana Anderson
Old 04-02-2015, 02:49   #22

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichinBoca View Post
Where have all the Antares owners gone ?

Best,
Rich
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Maybe they should make some more so there can be more of us... (looking for one in the near future.. rocking horse droppings spring to mind)
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 04:34   #23

Boat: St Francis 50

The Antares owners have an owners group which is, I believe, restricted to owners and those who have boats on order.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 14:02   #24

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalysis View Post
The Antares owners have an owners group which is, I believe, restricted to owners and those who have boats on order.
Oh I see.. Thanks Catalysis... I guess I'll stop following this old thread then.. I was hoping to ask owners about the Antares as to me its a very good boat and (but not yet been aboard one) my favourite so far.... shame they never display in Europe. Once again thanks.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:11   #25

I'm looking for some advice on slips for an Antares 44. I'm about to close on Cinderella (hull 22) which is currently in Norfolk, VA and want to bring her up to the mid-Chesapeake area. I have a 24 foot wide slip on hold at Herrington Harbor South (Friendship, MD) but am concerned that it may be too tight. The slip is next to a tree lined shore and is well protected from wind and sea. The slip has a fixed finger pier on one side (not floating) and three pilings on the other (slip is 64 feet deep).

I've never had a boat this wide so am use to having a lot more lateral space in my slips. Should I look for a wider slip? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
Alexandria, VA

PS - Antares is my dream boat! I'm really excited.
cwuerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 07:48   #26

Congratulations! May you enjoy your Antares as we have enjoyed ours (PDQ
hull 23). Your beam is 22 feet without fenders and almost 24 feet with
fenders. I would want a slip more than 24 feet wide for long-term use. Not
only will it be a pain to get in and out of the slip with that little
clearance, but you really want her to float freely in the slip, fenders
only touching intermittently. I would look for a wider slip.

There is an owners forum. We joined it by contacting salwa@liveantares.com who contacted the forum manager for us. You might think about joining.
Best,
Markham Anderson
S/V Seabbatical
Old 30-04-2015, 14:55   #27

Hi Markham -
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for options but as you know, they're limited. But what a great problem to have. And I will follow up on the owners forum. I'm hoping to qualify next week!
-Chris
Old 30-04-2015, 15:08   #28

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

My boat is 23' beam in a 25.5' wide slip with zero problems. I believe a slip 1' narrower would still be fine. The only concern is turning out while still in the slip. When we leave our slip, we attach a line to the aft cleat from the most forward piling to enable pivoting a 90 degree turn. If the slip was too narrow, the opposite hull would hit the forward piling on that side as the boat gets wider during a turn. We have at least 1' foot clearance while pivoting via tied to the forward piling. Remember, catamarans don't pivot naturally at the stern, they pivot midship (due to the keel), hence you have to tie off to a cleat to pivot at the stern. We back into the slip and put a fender between the hull and forward-most piling, then pivot with the opposite engine in reverse.

Bottom line, I think you would be fine with that slip, try it first to see if you can deal with turning in and out. YMMV
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 15:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
My boat is 23' beam in a 25.5' wide slip with zero problems. I believe a slip 1' narrower would still be fine. The only concern is turning out while still in the slip. When we leave our slip, we attach a line to the aft cleat from the most forward piling to enable pivoting a 90 degree turn. If the slip was too narrow, the opposite hull would hit the forward piling on that side as the boat gets wider during a turn. We have at least 1' foot clearance while pivoting via tied to the forward piling. Remember, catamarans don't pivot naturally at the stern, they pivot midship (due to the keel), hence you have to tie off to a cleat to pivot at the stern. We back into the slip and put a fender between the hull and forward-most piling, then pivot with the opposite engine in reverse.

Bottom line, I think you would be fine with that slip, try it first to see if you can deal with turning in and out. YMMV
Thanks DotDun. Good tips and advice. One nice thing about that slip is that it is just off a wide channel so I should be able to come all the way out and then rotate in the channel. Question: Do you cross both your stern and bow lines?
Old 30-04-2015, 16:58   #30

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwuerker View Post
Thanks DotDun. Good tips and advice. One nice thing about that slip is that it is just off a wide channel so I should be able to come all the way out and then rotate in the channel. Question: Do you cross both your stern and bow lines?
IMO, the slip will work for you, plenty of room.

I have (4) tide slides (https://www.tideslide.com/indexr.htm) installed, hence I run dock lines (a little) tight to each corner. I've adjusted the lines so the boat sits closer to the side we board on. Works well for us.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares