Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 12:32   #1

Antares 44i

Anyone had any time aboard one of these cats? Man it's just the sweetest cat I've ever set eyes on. I'm smitten! Just waiting to see how the quality fairs in Argentina first. Love the layout, super galley, lot's of innovative idea's. Most owners appear to be circumnavigating with them as well!

Antares Catamarans luxury sailing catamarans for liveaboard comfort extended cruising

Be interested to know your thoughts if you have any experience with her!

David
KairosKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 13:58   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Argentina?? Last I heard they were going to build these in China after PDQ folded.
Old 05-07-2009, 15:34   #3

Each to their own of course, but I must say that although I've never been aboard one of these I have seen a few and in my humble opinion they're pig ugly!
Dedzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 16:38   #4

Like my pappy used to say, "Opinions are like !@#$holes, everybody has one....Some even have two and can talk out of one" ! :-)

All the information I have come across is very positive. The only obvious possible negative is "windage" from that hull! Lots of articles in many sailing mags about retired folks seriously cruising these cats. They are not performance cats for sure, but for cruising/liveaboard with no need for speed, these look like a very viable solution.

David
Old 05-07-2009, 19:47   #5

I have looked at them VERY seriously and for laid back slow cruising they are in the top 10 from my research
peter.bomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KairosKona View Post
Like my pappy used to say, "Opinions are like !@#$holes, everybody has one....Some even have two and can talk out of one" ! :-)
David
Thanks for the compliment...
Dedzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:12   #7

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
I will provide some insight. I have sailed on a 44i. Been on the boat a number of times, and am actually going to Argentina next month to view the new facilities. I am seriously considering purchasing a 44i. Here are my observations:

* Part of the look of these from the outside is a function of design. In other words, higher windage, but very open inside with galley down, and safe deck (no rounding or sloping edges, etc). I have been on a lot of cats looking for the right one, and the open feel with galley down is what has my wife excited.

* Well made, great joinery, safe boat for cruising. Not the fastest on the block, but that wasn't a priority for myself and family. We were in 6.5 knots of wind doing 5.5 knots. Not too bad. full tanks, 10 people on the boat.

* I attended the Antares University in SC this year, and spent a LOT of time going through boat systems. In short, top notch quality all around.

Bottom line, like anything, there are tradeoffs. I feel, for myself and family, that safety (easy to single hand), comfort and overall usability is key. Not to mention that the folks at Antares are very genuine in their passion for the boat and have what I feel to be (so far) excellent customer service. I have talked to a number of 44i owners, and all have been VERY happy with the boat and the 'new' company. For the most part the same people at PDQ. biggest change is their production facility in Argentina...that is what is driving my trip...to make sure I am comfortable with the new location.
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 13:16   #8

Boat: PDQ Antares 44
Thanks for your thoughts mdsilvers. As I am also interested in an Antares, I would be interested in your findings in Argentina, if you're able to post them after your visit.
gholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 13:19   #9

Of course, I will be happy to share my findings from Argentina.

How far along are you in your analysis phase on the 44i? I would be curious your thoughts to date on the boat...since I too am in the market.
Old 06-07-2009, 13:25   #10

Second that mdsilvers, I have them on my top 5 list of options and would love a nice field report, also would you have a polar or know how well they perform in heavier weather? My wife is convinced the 44i is our cat!
Old 06-07-2009, 14:52   #11

Boat: EndeavourCat 30
If I had the cash it would be a boat at the top of my list.

We were on Koa Kai (a 42'er now sold) last year and I loved it. I'm 6'2" and I fit everywhere. We really like the galley down as it opens up the salon and offers a lot of counter and prep space. The finish inside was outstanding and definitely "Yacht worthy" and the cat felt overbuilt and sturdy. The side of the hull does present a lot of windage but as someone already pointed out, that adds up to interior volume.

My one complaint (and it's relatively minor) would be the cockpit area - it had a few different levels (tripping spots) and didn't seem to be as well thought out as the remainder of the boat.

There were 3-4 used ones on the market this time last year but they seem to have been bought up.
talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 15:05   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Observed a 44i going to weather in the Virgin Islands this winter. Nothing scientific but it seemed to be pointing with and sailing as fast to weather as the monohulls around it.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 17:15   #13

Thanks mdsilvers, appreciate your input. Not as far along as you in the quest, but do look forward to the "de-brief" when you return! Looks like they only have one slot left in this years production for a late 2010 delivery! Enjoy BA and all it has too offer. Try the Chimmichurri sauce on the beef for me!

David
Old 06-07-2009, 17:41   #14

They seem to be in the 500K range after 5+ years, and while that is at the top of my ranger (was hoping for 350K + 150K in upgrade/refits) they don't really seem to need any upgrades as they are very well thought out from what I see, but I agree if I had the money a new one with my desired modifications and a taller carbon fiber mast would be amazing. (ahh to dream)

Peter
Old 06-07-2009, 18:51   #15

Peter not sure about the carbon fiber mast on a cruiser given the potential issues with them - I too looked into this, and in the end, decided the weight savings wasn't worth the potential problems. My 2 cents.

As for the pricing, here is a quick snapshot (five plus years ago it was a 42', so prices were different). The 2005 didn't have as much on it, and certainly seemed to be a firesale price. I looked into this boat - briefly...and decided not worth it.

Year Listed US$ Sold US$ Location
44' PDQ Antares 44i 2007 675,000 (02/09) 600,000 (03/09)
44' PDQ Antares 44i 2005 550,000 (03/08) 450,000 (05/09)
44' PDQ Antares ... 2006 795,000 (12/07) 675,000 (08/08)

Kairos I will dig into the Chimmichurri...looking forward to getting away and enjoying the local scenery/food....and of course checking out boat. There is one of the hulls that is close to splashing in August so we should see them at different stages.

Tags
Antares